|Home City||The Hollow City|
|Location||Bthanual, The Sober Nord Tavern, Taarengrav, Stirk, Library of Dusk, Consultants' House, Chapel of Light, The Endless Stair|
|Follower||The Library of Dusk|
Kireth Vanos is a Dunmer adventurer. Along with her brother Raynor, she can be found exploring ruins in Deshaan, Eastmarch, the Rift, and Wrothgar. The siblings also form part of the Coldharbour invasion force. She is also the author of several books.
- 1 Related Quests
- 2 Dialogue
- 2.1 Deshaan
- 2.2 Eastmarch
- 2.3 Stirk
- 2.4 Coldharbour
- 2.5 Wrothgar
- 2.6 Gold Coast
- 2.7 Clockwork City
- 3 Notes
- The Dungeon Delvers: Help two adventurers investigate a Dwemer ruin.
- The Light Fantastic: Help two adventurers recover a Dwemer relic to present to the Shad Astula Arch-Mage.
- In Search of Kireth Vanos: Help the Vanos siblings explore Mzulft.
- Kireth's Amazing Plan: Help the Vanos siblings acquire some lost lore to present to the Mages Guild.
- The Shackled Guardian: Prevent the Worm Cult from binding the Companion's spirit at the dragon burial mound.
- Through the Daedric Lens: Gain access to a dangerous Daedric library.
- The Library of Dusk: Break the illusory effects of the library's magicka matrix.
- The Final Assault: Launch an assault on the Endless Stair and destroy the Planar Vortex.
- An Unexpected Fall: Kireth Vanos may be in trouble in a Dwarven ruin. Again.
- Tinker Trouble: Track down a rampaging robot in the wilds of Wrothgar.
- Honest Work: Help the Vanos siblings find employment in Anvil.
- In Search of a Sponsor: Gain sponsorship in order to become a citizen of the Clockwork City.
- The Strangeness of Seht: Investigate Sotha Sil's recent change of character.
- Family Feud: Resolve a family feud between the Vanos siblings.
- "Trust me, sister. This time the Mages Guild will offer us memberships for sure!"
If you interact with Kireth, she will say:
- "First the Academy, now the Mages Guild. Tell me why we care if any of these stiff-robes think?"
They cannot be spoken to.
In Search of Kireth Vanos
Kireth's Amazing Plan
She can found on Stirk along with her brother, practicing flame spells while waiting for the results of the summit meeting. When spoken to she will be thrilled that they were chosen to come along, "Isn't it exciting? The Mage Guild actually asked us to come with them on this mission! It seems our hard work is finally paying off."
While waiting with everyone else for Vanus Galerion to open the portal to Coldharbour, she will be enthusiastic at chances to find treasure, "Coldharbour! I don't mind admitting that this old dungeon-delver is probably more excited than she should be! I can't wait to see what kinds of artifacts we can recover."
Through the Daedric Lens
For most of this quest you will be speaking to Kireth through her projection. However, once all the daedric lenses are destroyed you can enter the Gallery area of the Library to speak with her in person. You can find her near the entrance, banging on an observation window and fruitlessly trying to get her brother's attention from below.
- Kireth Vanos: "Raynor? Raynor! He can't hear me. Why can't he hear me? Raynor!"
You can then speak with Kireth to see what she knows.
- "I can see Raynor through this observation window, but he can't hear me. It must be the spell … and I bet the spell didn't affect me because I'm not attuned to whatever catalyst controls the magicka matrix."
- The magicka matrix?
- "You know, the spell web. A pretty elegant trap, really. I think the spell's catalyst has something to do with an interest in knowledge. I'd be insulted, but what can I say. I'm in this for adventure, not scholarly pursuits.
And thanks, by the way."
The Library of Dusk
After finding Kireth, you can continue speaking with her and help her save her brother. If you do not continue the conversation immediately after completing Through the Daedric Lens she will gripe about them getting entrapped.
- "I can't believe they blundered right into this trap. How stupid was that?
As usual, I guess it's up to us to save the day."
- What are you thinking? (After this dialogue goes straight to the standard script)
- "The spell seems to be a combination of glamours and illusions. It snared my brother and the other scholarly types.
Anyway, we can't leave them like that. We have to snap them out of it."
- Do you have a plan?
- "I always have a plan! It requires you to get down there and talk some sense into them. I'll make sure the Daedra don't lock us in here again. Just find me if Raynor gives you any trouble.
And be careful. Illusion magic can be tricky."
- I thought the spell only affects scholars.
- "Sure, but there may be other spells active down there. Take a look at the observation windows and remember the details of each holding cell.
The Daedra must be keeping those notes for some reason, and I believe in always being prepared."
If you speak with again she will remind you to read the notes, "Take another look into the rooms before you head down into the library. If there are illusion spells, you'll need every edge you can get."
Once you have read the observation notes, you can go down to the main part of the library where Kireth will be crouched down near the archway. When you speak with her she will comment on the atmosphere.
- "What a creepy place! I can feel something tugging at my mind.
Find my brother and the scholars. And hurry! The spell might adapt and eventually trap us in here, too."
If you find Raynor and fail to convince him to leave, you will need to return to Kireth for some help.
- "You're back, but I don't see Raynor. What's going on?"
- I found your brother, but he's engrossed in a book.
- "I'll handle this. I know just what to do when Raynor gets too absorbed in his work. We developed a system for just this sort of situation.
Kireth will then follow you back to Raynor who is still reading his Dwemer treatise. His sister will immediately get to work.
- Kireth Vanos: "Raynor? Get your head out of that book! It's time to leave this horrible place."
- Raynor Vanos: "Leave me alone, sister. I'm busy."
- Kireth Vanos: "That does it! Remember, Raynor, you asked for this!"
- <Kireth punches her brother so hard that he falls down.>
- Raynor Vanos: "Kireth! What was that for? I—wait, where am I?"
- Kireth Vanos: "Works every time."
After speaking with Raynor, Kireth and her brother will leave the library. Once you have rescued the others and taken the place's Light of Meridia, Kireth will be at their camp on northern outskirts of the ruins. If you speak with her before speaking with Telenger she will say, "Hey, you made it! Telenger has been waiting for you. You should talk to him when you get a chance."
Once you have spoken with Telenger, she will thank you for the help.
- "Thank you so much. I could never have done that by myself. Raynor's sleeping right now, but when he wakes up, I'm going to tell him how great his device worked."
The Hollow City
- "It's good to have Raynor back here with me. I … I don't know what I'd do without him.
Just to see him examining maps and thinking up his next device. It makes me really appreciate how far we've come."
- "All that work and worry, and here we are, helping the Mages Guild! It's like a dream come true.
I can't wait to delve into a few more of these Coldharbour dungeons!"
The Final Assault
Before you start the final push into Molag Bal's lair, Kireth will be at the Endless Stair's entrance.
- "My brother and I might be a bit out of our league, but we'll find a way to help.
We've explored enough Dwarven ruins and dungeons to fill a hundred lore books. How much different could Molag Bal's Labyrinth be?"
After you have been debriefed, you can ask what she will do during the attack.
- "It's time, isn't it?
I'm ready for anything! I can't wait to see what's inside the lair of a Daedric Prince. Is that what he calls it? His lair? Yes, that sounds right!"
- Aren't you the least bit nervous?
- "Nervous? Sure. Everyone's nervous. Even Vanus and the King.
But if I had a gold piece for every time I got nervous before diving into a dungeon … well , I'd have a lot of gold pieces! Don't worry. We won't fail you."
- Will you be part of the Fighters Guild or Mages Guild forces?
- "If not for my brother, I'd be in there swinging a sword with the best of the warriors. But Raynor and Gabrielle need me. Someone's got to watch their backs while they do the magic stuff.
But we'll make it out of this. Just like we always do."
You will meet her again in the Labyrinth Library during the final assault. She is part of Gabrielle's team who are trying to unlock the gate.
- "Do you think Molag Bal actually reads this stuff? Er, sorry. Trying to help my brother find something useful here. But look at all these books!
I always wondered what a Daedric Prince read at bedtime. Some of this stuff is pretty disturbing!"
Once you unlock the gate, she will be impressed by your daedric flame-slinging.
- "I saw what you did there. That was fantastic! I mean, the fire coated your fingers and then you went swoosh! And the fire flew like an arrow and the tubes lit up and the device came to life! I can't wait to try that!"
You can talk with her after she and the rest of the group catch up to you and stop momentarily.
- "I hate to say it, but this place is starting to get a bit overwhelming.
Nah, I'm just kidding. This has been exciting so far! I'm having a great time!"
After you have entered the Planar Vortex, she and Raynor will be some of the people to join you. You can talk to her after speaking with Meridia to say your possible final farewells.
- "Did I hear that right? We're going to blow the vortex apart?
Great! But how do we get out of here once the light explodes? Please tell me you have an idea!"
- I'm not sure what's going to happen after we place the light.
- "That's not an idea! We're just going to plant a magical explosive and hope for the best?
I thought my brother Raynor's ideas were bad!"
- It's the only way.
- "I'm not sure I can take much more of this. People are dying! I've lost friends … people I looked up to … I can't lose Raynor, too.
There has to be another way."
Once you tell Meridia that you are ready to begin, Kireth and Raynor will stay behind and guard the rear.
- Raynor Vanos: "All right, let me see what components I have left. I should be able to cobble something together to slow a giant monster down …."
- Kireth Vanos: "What about that exploding squirrel you built when we were children? Or do you think that'd be too much?"
- "If anyone asks, just tell them that you know us.
What? It's research! How often do we get to attend a king's funeral and coronation?"
An Unexpected Fall
If you haven't started the quest with Raynor, she'll greet you with:
- "Well, this is a strange place to see a familiar face, but it's a pleasant surprise as well!
Did you fall down that hole, too?"
Or if you haven't done any quest that involves the siblings before, she'll say:
- "Oh, hi. Did you fall through that hole in the ceiling, too?
Not that I'm complaining, mind you. Look at this ancient apparatus. I've seen cleaner things in an Orc's bath house, but it's really interesting, don't you think?"
Both leading to:
- What are you doing here?
- "What I always do! I'm exploring! I'm kind of an expert dungeon-delver. Sort of.
My brother and I answered the king's summons and here we are, cataloging another Dwarven ruin. Hey, where is my brother? Is he still afraid of the mechanical spiders?"
If you began the quest with Raynor Vanos, you'll say her instead:
- Your brother Raynor said you fell into this ruin.
- "Fell? I'll have you know I'm an expert dungeon-delver! I don't fall. I drop gracefully. But, yeah, I certainly wasn't planning on getting down here using that particular method.
Hey, where is my brother? I could use his help down here."
Both cases lead to the same question:
- Is there something I can do to help?
- "Now that you mention it, I was hoping to collect a Dwarven power core. But the only one I saw was protected by a Ztheng Guardian!
If you could get the core, I'd appreciate it. Raynor loves those things! Uses them to build all kinds of devices."
- Why do you need a Dwarven power core?
- "Me? I don't need it. But my brother Raynor collects the things. Uses them to make all sorts of strange and interesting devices.
Since we're down here, I figured we should get one for him. He hasn't had one to tinker with in quite a while."
- What kind of devices does Raynor make?
- "Oh, all sorts of things. Sometimes they don't do what he thought they would, and every so often they explode, but otherwise he really is a genius—when he isn't being a complete and utter dunce."
- "I could have saved you a lot of trouble if I had brought my brother's radial component extractor with me. But what can I say? I'm spontaneous!
I'll finish up here and meet you by the main entrance after you get the power core."
If you've already met the pair in Coldharbour, you can ask her:
- What have you and Raynor been up to since Coldharbour?
- "After all that excitement in Coldharbour, Raynor and I thought it would be boring to go back to digging through mundane ruins.
But not only did Coldharbour open up vast new opportunities for us, it also gave us an appreciation for the simple things."
- What sort of opportunities?
- "This job in Wrothgar, for example. Actually got an invitation from the king! We've also got a lead on something big, but our contact asked us to keep the details quiet for the time being.
When it all comes together, maybe I can tell you more."
Once you have the power core, meet up with the siblings. If you speak to her before speaking to Raynor, she'll say:
- "You found one, didn't you? I knew you could do it! Thanks!
And don't worry, next time I fall into an ancient ruin I'll make sure to come prepared. Maybe even have a plan or something."
Speak to her again after completing the quest with Raynor and she'll warn you:
- "I'd take off if I were you. Raynor's going to build something that turns these Dwarven constructs into his personal army. Or, more likely, there's going to be a massive ka-boom.
But thanks for the help all the same!"
- "Oh, my head—hey! Where's my brother? Have you seen Raynor anywhere around here?"
- I haven't seen Raynor.
- "Oh, that's just great! I fall unconscious for a moment or two and Raynor runs off into the wilderness without me!
It was that Dwarven power core you got for us in Zthenganaz. Raynor had to go and tinker again! That's always how the trouble starts."
- What did Raynor make this time?
- "He decided to rebuild one of those Dwarven sphere things. And, of course, he had to make alterations. Nothing's ever good enough as it is for my brother!
The sphere went berserk and knocked me out. And now Raynor's missing! This is bad, really bad."
- I'll find your brother Raynor.
- "They could be anywhere! Raynor probably went after the Dwarven sphere to keep it from causing more damage.
project and you'll find Raynor, guaranteed."
- What do you have in mind?
- "Take this. Raynor has a technical name for it, but I call it a lightning prod. My brother uses it to control Dwarven constructs, but it can also be used to track a construct's energy discharge."
- How do I use the lightning prod?
- "Look for a place where the sphere expended a lot of energy, like by that burning wreckage over there. Then just take out the lightning prod and you should get an indication of where the sphere went next.
Go ahead and give it a try over there."
- What are you going to do?
- "I'll gather up Raynor's tinkering tools and follow you. Once I catch up, we can help Raynor disable that rolling monstrosity!
But don't wait for me! Raynor needs you! Now get going!"
- "If you stand near that wreckage over there and use the lightning prod, it should show you the direction the Dwarven sphere took off in."
After finding the sphere, Raynor and Kireth will appear:
- "We followed after you as fast as we could! What happened to the sphere? And what's with all these fires? Was anyone hurt?
Oh, Mother Morrowind, what have we done?"
- The sphere ransacked the camp, but no one was seriously hurt.
- "Well, thank the Three for that!
Raynor still has an insane notion that he can repair the crazed construct. But after seeing this, I'm even more determined to make sure the sphere is destroyed."
- The sphere ran off after I used the prod.
- "At least it didn't attack you.
You need to use the prod again and find it before it does any more damage to the countryside."
- What are you going to do while I chase after the sphere?
- "Raynor and I will make sure these hunters are all right. It's the least we can do. Then we'll follow after you.
Once the sphere is destroyed, I'll feel a lot better. Until then, it's like there's a knot in my chest and someone is pulling it tight."
- "Please, find that sphere! I don't want to see anyone else get hurt."
After chasing the sphere once more across Wrothgar, you'll find it, Raynor, and Kireth north of Trader's Road Wayshrine.
- "That stupid sphere rolled right up to my stupid brother like nothing happened!
It's like it thinks it's his damned pet or something! A dangerous, demented pet made out of metal and gears, but a pet all the same!"
- Do you still think the sphere should be destroyed?
- "Of course I think it needs to be destroyed! Don't you?
This time my brother tinkered around with something that was extremely dangerous. We're just lucky nobody was seriously injured by that thing!"
- I don't think Raynor agrees with you on this one.
- "My brother rarely agrees with me about anything. Why should this time be any different?
But the point of the matter is that we need to destroy that construct. If you talk to him, I'm sure you can get him to see the logic in that."
- I should discuss this with Raynor before I make a decision.
- <Talk to Raynor>
- If we were to destroy the sphere, how would we go about it?
- "Just give me the lightning prod and I'll take care of it.
If I drain off its remaining energy, the gears will fuse and the construct will become permanently inert. Then it'll be nothing more than a large, metal doorstop."
- All right. Let's destroy the Dwarven sphere.
- Kireth waves the rod at the sphere, which collapses in a burst of sparks. Raynor, angry, says: "Kireth, what did you do that for? You destroyed my sphere!"
- "Just give me the lightning prod and I'll take care of it.
If you decide to destroy the sphere, she'll say:
- "We made the right choice. My brother's annoyed that I broke his latest toy, but he'll forgive me—eventually.
Of course, I might have to hit him a few times if he doesn't stop complaining, but such is the burden of being Raynor's sister."
- Is that the end of the runaway Dwarven sphere?
- "Yes, that took care of the creepy little construct.
Raynor's going to be upset with me for a while, but he'll get over it. I just need to find him a new project to focus on. Maybe something a little less volatile this time. Thanks for your help!"
After finishing the quest, she'll say:
- "Don't worry about Raynor. He'll yell at me for awhile, but something will come along eventually and require his undivided attention.
And if it doesn't come along soon, I'll toss him in the next Dwarven ruins we find and see how he likes it."
On the other hand, if you agree to let Raynor repair the sphere, she'll say:
- "Really? That was your plan? Let my brother fix the homicidal construct?
You should have just given a sharp axe to an angry Orc. We'd all be a lot safer."
- Should we go after your brother and the construct?
- "No, don't worry about it. This kind of thing happens to us all the time. I'll take care of it.
If you hear a loud boom in the distance, it was probably us. But thanks anyway. I'm sure we couldn't have gotten to this point without you."
After finishing the quest and getting her a job at Enrick's Public House.
- "Oh you just missed it! My rendition of "Rememberings" from the Dark Elf musical "Guars" brought the house down! It's a sad, touching number with a few light moments, but I've never seen a crowd laugh so hard. I guess I really nailed the high notes."
Optional dialogue after finding her.
- How did your findings at Bthanual turn out?
- "I wrote a book about the ruins and Raynor was able to make improvements to his control rod thingamabob, but we decided to pass on both the Academy and the Mages Guild.
We learned that an independent life of adventure suits us just fine."
- Have you made any progress with that memory orb from Mzulft yet?
- "A little. I'm not having any better luck with my new journal, though. The pages keep falling out! Raynor says I'm too hard on my books, but it has to be shoddy construction. They just don't make bindings like they used to.
It's kind of disgraceful."
- Glad to see you made it back from Coldharbour.
- "You and me both! I'm all for exploring new places, but that place was just wrong!
I just wish everyone had made it back from that damn place. I miss King Dynar. And poor Darien. He was kind of a flirt, but he had a hero's heart."
First exchange after speaking to Neramo:
- "So, that pompous High Elf got his hooks in you too, huh? I told my brother, Raynor, that we should go it alone, but any house in an ash-storm, right?
- Speaking of Raynor, he might need your help."
- Is Raynor in trouble?
- "Depends on your definition of trouble, I guess.
- He's down in the ravine- playing with the firepot spiders for some reason. He wouldn't tell me more. Unfortunately, those spiders have a tendency to, you know... explode."
- Why would he do that?
- "Like I said, he didn't want to discuss it. Probably whipped up an automata-disrupting spoon-twirler or something. He gets like this sometimes.
- Just check in on him, all right? He's clumsy and those apostle's mechanical limbs look expensive."
- All right, I'll check on Raynor.
Additional conversation at this point:
- "Thanks for the help. Raynor's smart, but you can't smart a spider to death, you know?"
- What will you do while I help Raynor?
- "Well, Neramo said we needed something to offer this Varuni character, but from what I can tell, she doesn't really need anything. So I asked myself, what do you get the person who has everything?"
- And? What do you get the person who has everything?
- "A home-cooked meal, Argonian pottery, or information. Since I'm a terrible cook, and we're worlds away from Black Marsh, I think I'll just go with the third thing.
- This Brass Fortress is brimming with gossip- I just need to listen for it. Wish me luck!"
Meeting with Kireth again after getting Neramo's skeevaton documents:
- "Ah, there you are! Done playing with Neramo's wind-up toys? I think I'm on to something."
- What have you learned?
- "I did a little asking around. Word is, Constable Baldan will sponsor anyone, as long as they can pay. Where they go after he takes their gold? That's anybody's guess.
- Luckily, we're here to sort it out! Here, take this memory stone."
- What do you want me to do with this?
- "I surveyed the building. Someone left the door to Baldan's storage loft unlocked. It should provide a great view of his office. Climb up there and wait.
- When I offer a bribe, you record the conversation on that memory stone. Then we've got him!"
- All right. I'll make my way to the loft and wait for your signal.
The conversation with Constable Baldan:
- Kireth Vanos: "All right, Baldan. I've got your gold. Will you sponsor me for citizenship?"
- Constable Baldan: "Oh, I'll take your offering- but sponsorship? That's for the living, you tarnished scum."
- Kireth Vanos: "The living- what?"
- Constable Baldan: "Do it."
Kirith is clobbered over the head and knocked unconscious.
- Constable Baldan: "Well? What are you idling for? Gather up the gold and dump her with the others. We don't want anyone finding our latest visitor."
Finding her in the Mechanical Fundament:
- "Threw you in here too, did they? I knew I couldn't be the only one Constable Baldan got the drop on!"
- Actually, I came down here to find you. We should leave.
- You're right, we should. And I could! But not yet.
- I met another one of Baldan's victims- a Khajiit named Lankin. He's been scraping it out down here, but he's no warrior. I told him I'd get him out. Unfortunately, we got separated."
- All right. We can look for him.
- "That's the spirit! I managed to yank this sword out of a corpse nearby. It's not much, but you don't need a sharp edge to deal with these factotums- just a heavy swing and a lot of patience.
- You ready? Let's get moving."
Dialogue as you're cutting down factotums while trying to find Lankin:
- Kireth Vanos: "Stupid windup toys!"
- Kireth Vanos: ""
- Kireth Vanos: ""
- Kireth Vanos: ""
- Kireth Vanos: ""
Coming across some survivors' camp:
- Kireth Vanos: ""
Coming across another camp:
- Kireth Vanos: "There's warm pot here. Someone's been cooking... and recently. We must be close!"
- Kireth Vanos: "Finally! Come with us, Lankin. We're getting you out of here."
- Lankin: "Friend Kireth! Bright moons above! Please, let's leave this dungy place!"
After finding Raynor and the Proctor:
- "The nerve of that Elf! Clubbing people and throwing them into the sewer like garbage! These apostles better not go easy on him."
After earning citizenship:
- "So we're citizens now, right? Finally.
- Now to find what passes for sujamma in this crazy place."
After telling Neramo about Fyr's request for a lamp:
- "Taking Neramo down into the Fundament, eh? Keep a close eye on him. You and I both know how dangerous that place can be."
After your conversation with Divayth about the lamp being finished:
- Kireth Vanos: "Did you say something about putting the lamp on the balcony? We might have a problem."
Speaking to Kireth:
- "Raynor and that annoying High Elf finished your lamp, but there's a problem.
- On the way here, I overheard an aide complaining about some new security measures Sotha Sil put in place. Looks like the balcony is under heavy guard now."
- So I'll have to sneak past guards to get the lamp into position?
- "Looks that way. Unless you want blood on your hands, of course. But that might complicate our sponsorship a smidge, yeah? Just be quick and quiet... Like me! You'll be fine.
- Here's the lamp. Good luck!"
- Thanks for the warning, Kireth.
Speaking with her after this exchange:
- "If a guard spots you, just find a basket or something to hide in. Trust me, that'll be a lot easier than trying to take on Sotha Sil's private army all by yourself.
- Good luck up there."
- Sorry you had to hear that. Our family feuds aren't usually so dramatic.
Raynor always requires a delicate touch, but he's never stormed off before. He hates being on his own.
- What were you two arguing about?
- "That whole shadow business. I didn't like the way Raynore let that High Elf artificer with a Dwarven control rod up his arse order us around.
My brother didn't desert to be treated so poorly. I just wish he believed it too."
- Raynor mentioned something about finishing your exploration?
- "Before I wounded his pride, we were planning to explore this marvelous machine world. He charged off to prove he didn't need my help, and we know how that's going to turn out!
I'll let him cool off, but could you make sure he stays out of trouble?"
- I'll go check on Raynor.
- "What I said to Raynor was pretty harsh, but he can be so infuriating!
Look, he might be a brilliant artificer. Unfortunately, he's a terrible dungeon delver. Without me, he's going to get lost or hurt. Just don't mention me when you see him."
- Where do you think Raynor is going?
- "There are so many intriguing possibilities, I'm not sure which one he'd try to tackle first.
If I were my brother, I'd start by heading into the Radius. We talked about using that gulch with the outflow pipe as a base, so maybe begin there? "
- Do you and your brother argue very often?
- "Like Kwama Warriors fighting for the affection of their Queen.
We're siblings! Of course we have arguments. Raynor's a thinker and I'm all about action. Our differences make us a great team - when we're not engaged in a heated debate. "
- You're sure you don't want to go after your brother?
- "No, Raynor needs some alone time. We both do. No sense starting the same fight all over again.
You go talk to Raynor. Help him work things out so we can get back to our usual sibling rivalry. Just don't let him know I sent you."