|This is an archive of past UESPWiki:Reference Desk discussions. Do not edit the contents of this page, except for maintenance such as updating links.|
- 1 The complete noob guide?
- 2 Stolen Quest Items
- 3 Mehrunes Dagon's stats
- 4 Cursed Clothing
- 5 Mage Guild's Recommendation Trouble
- 6 Hermaeus Mora
- 7 Skeleton Key
- 8 Wiki Syntax Highlighting
- 9 My Mercantile is stuck at 49
- 10 Can't access the Spies part of the main quest
- 11 Contracting Vamparism from a bedroll?
- 12 Drain Attribute Effect
- 13 Cheydinhal Recommendation Issue
- 14 I Killed Lucien Lachance
- 15 Unable to use player.additem with mod items
- 16 i don't know what to do on a Arrow of Extrication quests!!!!
- 17 order of operations, please
- 18 Unable to trigger Ahdarji's Heirloom
- 19 The Wolf Queen v3 Skill book after you become Arch Mage
- 20 Shivering isle - Grove Of Reflection
- 21 Which things in Dunbarrow cave are leveled?
- 22 Is there realy an unamed sword?
- 23 Locked Barrels
- 24 "Where Spirits Have Lease" Ghost Body Disposal
- 25 Oblivion Ultimate Heist bug
- 26 Wrist Irons...where can I get another pair?
- 27 The Ultimate Heist: Amusei Never Shows Up
- 28 Fort Teleman Old Wooden Door key
- 29 Fortify Health Trouble
- 30 Eltonbrand vampire trouble
- 31 What are the lines and dots of the Oblivion Maps mean?
- 32 100% Completion - No of Quests
- 33 Veil of the Seer
- 34 Movement= speed
- 35 Bloodmoon Main Quest Trouble
- 36 Dark Brotherhood Helper Trouble
- 37 Ambush Quest Trouble
- 38 Raiment of the Crimson Scar
- 39 Can't open the Red Room Gate (Arena) - aBomb
- 40 Unsure about certin items found in Construction Set ( Morrowind - no expainsions)
- 41 Azani Blackheart Trouble
- 42 Daedric War Axe problem
- 43 Mod creation
- 44 Wraithguard x 2?
- 45 More than one enchantment?
- 46 Oblivion Main Quest, Find the Heir/Breaking the Seige Trouble
- 47 Altar of Enchantment
- 48 Cant Trigger Frostcrag upgrade dialog
- 49 Morrowind: The Math behind the Game
- 50 Negative Skill Modifier - Where is it coming from?
- 51 Leveling Problem
- 52 Ring of the Iron Fist
- 53 Time to archive?
- 54 Oblivion: Dark Brotherhood Re-initiation Glitch?
- 55 Bug in Ultimate Heist?
- 56 Ahdarji's heirloom quest multibug
- 57 Oblivion/Shivering Isles/help everything disappears from the ground
- 58 I Seem To Have Misplaced My Unicorn...
- 59 Morrowind Game of the Year Edition-XBox-Help
- 60 Bug at Wayshrines
- 61 Screenshots
- 62 About Scrolls in Oblivion IV Elder Scrolls.
- 63 Mephala Shrine Glitch
- 64 Contagious Oblivion
- 65 Error on Startup
- 66 Odd question because I'm bored; Daedra, you, love!
- 67 Bug with levelled items in Battlehorn Castle - when exactly is the level fixed?
- 68 Moving Imagery
- 69 Problem with sigil stone & feather
- 70 Akatosh, Dibella, Arkay, Mara, Talos, Zenithar, Stendarr, Julianos, and ... Akatosh?????
- 71 I'm a ghost... please help
- 72 Losing Leveled Items
- 73 Arrow of Extrication and Boots of Springheel Jak
- 74 Can Only Trap Petty & Lesser Souls
- 75 Umbra and Masque of Clavicus Vile
- 76 Amulet of Kings
- 77 Mysterium Xarxes
- 78 Stuck in Drunk and Disorderly
- 79 Power attack probabilities
- 80 The Unofficial Oblivion Patch
The complete noob guide?
First off, a giant kudos and whopping big thank you for all of this info. It is indispensable for understanding such a huge game like Oblivion. I have a LOT of questions but I'll limit it to one for now:
Is there, or is anyone willing to write, a true noob guide to oblivion? Take me for example, the only game I've played with any RPG elements was System Shock 2. Compared to Oblivion, that's like the difference between a plastic toy gun and the Joint Strike Fighter! For those who are as lost as I am, we need even some of the basic terminology explained. For example, I still don't get the exact relationship between levels and experience/skill or how to enchant a weapon. It even took me an 8 hr game and several internet searches before I figured out how to drop inventory items! Yes, it's that bad folks. So any help appreciated. 126.96.36.199 06:26, 24 January 2007 (EST)Pritzl
- No time to write a whole guide here, but I can answer the few questions you posed. First of all, Oblivion does not have "Experience" in the traditional RPG sense. (Which usually implies you receive a certain amount of experience for every enemy you kill.) How it works, in the most basic sense, is that every time you use a skill, any skill at all, you will get better at it. The meters on your character screen show you how close you are to increasing a point in each skill. Once they fill up, your skill increases one point and the meter resets. The higher the skill, the slower the meter moves, so it's easier to level up skills at lower values. Now, as for levelling, you'll notice that 7 skills are listed as "Major" skills. In order to achieve a new level for your character, you must gain 10 points in these 7 skills. Points gained in other skills do not contribute to levelling. However, they DO contribute to multipliers. When you level, you can choose to increase 3 of your Attributes. Depending on which skills you increased, you will have multipliers (up to 5x) available for these attributes. These do not carry over to subsequent levels, so use them or lose them. (However, skills increased after gaining the 10 points necessary for the next level WILL carry over to the level afterwards, and WON'T apply to your current level-up - a marked change from previous games in the series.) Anyhow, a more detailed description of this process can be found here: Character Creation.
- As for enchanting, the basic explanation is: Carry soul gems, cast a Soul Trap spell on a monster before killing it to fill the gem, and then go to the Enchanting Altar in the Arcane University to choose your enchantments. (You need to have earned access to the university first.) You can choose for spell effects any spells you already know. See Spell Merchants for information on finding spells you want. You'll also need some gold to pay for the enchantment. The more powerful the monster, the better the enchantment you can get from its soul. (However, you will need higher quality soul gems to capture the larger souls.) It's all explained in detail at Enchanting. Hope this helps. --TheRealLurlock Talk 09:56, 24 January 2007 (EST)
- That's a wonderful start. I still lost you near the end of that first paragraph unfortunately; the bit about current versus carried over level ups and whatnot. But I'll work on it. Just one clarification though, the 10 points, is that a total of 10 points in the 7 major skills, 10 point in each major skill or the first major skill to gain 10 points? I'm guessing that, regardless, the objective is to try to throw in a lot of skill points for the minor skills too while leveling, correct? Pritzl, 12:49, 24 January 2007 (EST)
- You also might want to read Leveling for specifics of what happens when you level up. And First Time Players is where I've tried to assemble some tips for players who are new to Oblivion. We'd welcome feedback on how to improve any pages that you read: if you find a paragraph unclear, feel free to revise it so it makes more sense. Or make suggestions/ask questions on that page's talk page (click the "discussion" tab at the top to pull up the talk page). It's hard for those of us who contribute most to the site to remember what it felt like when we first started playing, so pointers on where we're jumping over basic information would really be appreciated. --Nephele 14:09, 24 January 2007 (EST)
- Oh trust me, I've read it a couple of times now and in some instances it is a bit tough to follow. That said, I think I'm the problem since like I said, I am beyond hopeless wrt RPGs. If I do find some useful suggestions or input (and time left over from the great void that is playing this game!) I'll definitely follow your instructions there. 188.8.131.52 16:39, 24 January 2007 (EST)Pritzl
- 10 points, in any combination in the 7 major skills. It can be 10 points all in 1 skill, or 5 each in 2 skills, or split up any other way between those 7. As for minor skills, yes it is generally better to train them as much as possible prior to levelling. In fact, given the way the enemies in this game level, it's actually preferable to keep your level as low as possible. If you deliberately make an effort to avoid using any of your major skills and only increase the minor ones, you will have a much easier time with the game, since your skills will keep increasing, but the enemies will not get any more difficult. (You do have to get to at least 2 to finish the Main Quest, and at least level 21 to finish all quests in the game, since the Daedric quests have level requirements, and you need to do at least one of them to finish the Main Quest, but other than that, there's no real requirements.) Unfortunately, if you stay at a low level, you also won't increase your attributes, and you won't get any of the really good loot, since that is also leveled, so a balanced approach is generally best if you want to get the most out of the game. You certainly don't want to ONLY level your major skills, as you will quickly find the game will become frustratingly difficult. You might also want to look at Quest Timing to get an idea of when to undertake certain quests to get the most advantage from them. --TheRealLurlock Talk 14:56, 24 January 2007 (EST)
- Thanks for clearing that up. I try not to get too wrapped up in the details of the stats though so I was half afraid that it would negatively impact the game. (levelling problem eventually killing my game) Generally, I'm ignoring/rarely using things like Blunt, Hand-to-Hand and most of the magic-related skills except for Alchemy, destruction and restoration. Should I be concerned about those too? Oh, and thanks for the Quest timing link, hadn't come across it before. (now I'm thinking that I should have limited this to the forum! :))184.108.40.206 16:39, 24 January 2007 (EST)Pritzl
Stolen Quest Items
Do you know if quest items that appear as stolen are taken away if you are arrested?
No they are not - at least for the statue which you need to steal for one of the thieves guild quests... i went back to that tomb to get the watchwoman's armor, and picked up the statue again. now i can't drop it or get rid of it even if im arrested. and the red hand is there on it in my inventory...
Mehrunes Dagon's stats
I did not find any infos about him... how many HP has, his resistances etc. My character is a fighter lvl 42, pretty accomplished... but with any weapon, even highly poisoned... I could barely scratch him before Martin dies.
- I don't want to put any SPOILERS outside quest pages, so read this. --GuildKnight 22:56, 12 January 2007 (EST)
Thanks... but not finishing the MQ is the problem, as I did that. I read in the "bugs" that It "is possible to kill Mehrunes Dagon yourself. If you fling a huge number of spells at him, Dagon will dissolve and turn into a pile of reddish mud. He will still attack as if he was still alive but it is fun to watch nonetheless". That's why I ask for some exact details about him. I know it may be leveled, that's why I posted my level too. So for something like Mehrunes Dagon - 15 000 HP, resistent to fire, weak to shock I am really looking. Thanks again.
- He has 1000 HP and is immune to fire and paralysis, no weaknesses. But based on his script, it looks like his health is immediately set back to its full value each time you hit him. So I'm guessing that to get the red-mud effect you would have to do more than 1000 points of damage in a single hit. --Nephele 11:56, 13 January 2007 (EST)
I was reading your section on Spell absorbtion I saw that it can absorb elemental damage from weapons. Does that mean that if a character is wearing a piece of "cursed" clothing that they can absorb the damage and turn it into magicka?
- I did use the console commands to edit my character as an Atronach, obtained the Sorcerer's Ring and the highest level Spelldrinker Amulet (total of 101% Spell Absorption). I tried on the Blackwood Ring of Silence (150 Fire Damage). It would be great regeneration if it worked but it just killed me. I don't know if the same applies to clothing you enchant your self because I just gave up at that point. 220.127.116.11 18:56, 25 January 2007 (EST) Wilson
Mage Guild's Recommendation Trouble
Copied from: Oblivion Talk:Cheydinhal Recommendation
I've had a problem with the Xbox 360 version of this quest. I didn't have the alteration skill to cast bouyancy, so I entered the well without casting the spell, hoping to grab the ring. I didn't see a body anywhere and went back up. I figured that maybe the game wouldn't let me play the mission without casting bouyancy, so I upgraded it to 25. I cast it and went into the well, and still no body. I want to finish the Mage's Guild's quests, so if anyone can help me it'd be greatly appreciated. Lightman 12:21, 19 February 2007 (EST)
- There's generally no need to ask the same question in multiple locations, especially if you haven't given people a chance to respond to the first time. I've answered the question on Oblivion Talk:Cheydinhal Recommendation. --TheRealLurlock Talk 12:29, 19 February 2007 (EST)
My character is level 38, I have completed the other daedric quest, and I am past the "Blood of the Daedra" segment of the main quest. But no one has come to talk to me and when I went to the shrine I got told that I did not follow the neccessary path. What did I do wrong? -Marc February 6, 2007-
- You're sure that you've completed all 14 other daedric quests? Go through your list of completed quests, and make sure that every other quest listed at Daedric Quests is in there. If you chose to keep Umbra after completing the Clavicus Vile quest, you have to go to the shrine and tell Clavicus Vile that you're keeping the sword. --Nephele 15:21, 6 February 2007 (EST)
I have heard that if you get the skeloton key if your level is above 60 then you can go above 100. the skeleton key gives you +40 permanently. that means that if you already have 100 security then you will now have 140.— Unsigned comment by 18.104.22.168 (talk)
- What exactly is the question? Yes, the Skeleton Key can increase your Security skill past 100. --Nephele 23:35, 9 January 2007 (EST)
There's a mod which edits the key's script allowing you to use it while still increasing your Security skill (it disables the +40 bonus at the same time, so it's just like having an unbreakable lockpick). My question is what's the UESP policy on mentioning this on the item page, and providing a link to this said mod? -- Felic 15:42, 1 February 2007 (EST)
- We don't have an official policy on including information about mods, although this issue has been discussed recently (Mod Info in Articles; if you have any opinions, feel free to contribute to that discussion). Based on Wrye's proposed criteria, it sounds like the mod you're describing is relevant enough to be mentioned at Skeleton Key. --Nephele 22:59, 1 February 2007 (EST)
Wiki Syntax Highlighting
I'm looking for a decent syntax highlighting app or plugin for wiki editing. I've tried jEdit/MwJed & Diderot, but I can't get them to work with this wiki. I'm attempting to make my own syntax file for TextPad, but it's crude and inconsistent (my syntax file, not TextPad :D ). Anyone have a nice, clean & free solution for a WinXP user? -- Felic 15:47, 1 February 2007 (EST)
- Well, I got this to work! I recommend free & platform independent jEdit text editor with the MwJed plugin. -- Felic 21:38, 6 February 2007 (EST)
My Mercantile is stuck at 49
I have tried getting this problem fixed on the forum section to no avail. My mercantile is stuck at 49. I have sold well over a hundred items and it hasen't budged at all. The level remains at the beginning of 49 (In the menu where it shows how close you are to leveling up.) I read through the Mercantile section and that didn't help either. I did enchant 4 pieces of armor that raised my mercantile to 89 which enabled me to invest in stores, but ever since I did that my Base Mercantile has not gone up. I have tried selling items with the Mercantile armor on and without. It made no difference. Any ideas? Thanks for the help. Oh, this is for Oblivion on 360. — Unsigned comment by Whitefang1968 (talk • contribs)
- Any chance you recently completed A Shadow Over Hackdirt, or some other quest that gives a free skill boost to Mercantile? And that you haven't installed the Patch? That combination of factors would produce exactly what you're describing: the skill bar showing how far you've advanced in Mercantile would be stuck at 0 for quite a while (worst case, if merc is a minor, non-specialized skill, for some 400 transactions; best case 150 or so). It's a glitch that happens when you get a skill boost, for example as a quest reward: your skill goes up, but you don't gain the experience that's supposed to go with the skill increase, so you still have to go and train the skill to collect that missing experience. If that's what has happened to you, eventually your mercantile will start going up again, you'll just have to keep using it. --Nephele 23:18, 2 February 2007 (EST)
Can't access the Spies part of the main quest
In my main quest I've got to the point where it says "SPIES Martin asked me to speak to jauffre about Mythic dawn agents spying on cloud temple" Jauffre shows up as the green active quest icon but whenever I speak to him or anyone else at cloud temple no one says anything new and no mention is made about spies at all??? I would really appreciate some help here. I've tended to wander about and do daedric and fort ruins as I come accross them and not in some ordered plot. I'm at level 22, I have Azure's Star and a few items I can't drop as they are quest items even though I haven't started those quests. Could this have messed it up, or have I just got some bug? In otherwords (a) is it fixable and (b) will I just have the same problem if I start over from scratch?? Please and thank you in anticipation.GrimNir 18:01, 3 February 2007 (EST)
- Have you delivered the Mysterium Xarxes to Martin? In other words, have you completely finished the previous quest (Dagon Shrine)? It looks like it may be possible to get the first update for the Spies quest to appear (the one you're seeing) even without having the book Mysterium Xarxes, but to get Jauffre to talk to you about "Spies" you have to give Martin the book. If Dagon Shrine still appears in your list of current quests, make it the active one and keep following its instructions until it's completely done. Or another possibility is that the "Spies" topic is already in Jauffre's list of available topics, but you have to scroll down to see it. --Nephele 20:16, 3 February 2007 (EST)
Contracting Vamparism from a bedroll?
After purchasing The Thieves Den, I started the Dunbarrow Cove quest. After clearing the area of skeletons I slept on the bedroll found near the entrance in order to level. I recieved the first vamparism dream message update. The disease progressed as described elsewhere on this site and I was a full vampire as of the third day. I believe I contracted Porphyric Hemophilia from this bedroll. Can anyone else confirm this?
Oblivion, 360 version - patched
--22.214.171.124 02:55, 14 February 2007 (EST)
- Beds and bedrolls will not give you Porphyric Hemophilia, at least not without unofficial mods that you obviously are not using if you're playing on the Xbox 360. The Thieves Den plugin does not add any vampirism-related items. You must have caught the disease at some point before using the bedroll and just not noticed it until you decided to sleep. It could have occurred at any time before that, even days before if you hadn't slept in the meantime. --Nephele 12:53, 14 February 2007 (EST)
- I thought of this possibility and loaded a save made immediately prior to entering the Thieves Den. I traveled back to a city and slept and did not have any dream. I waited several days and sleep cycles to ensure that I was not infected. I then went back to the Thieves Den and cleared it out again and then slept on the bedroll. Same result. --Dhardrian 16:34, 14 February 2007 (EST)
- I can definitely look into it some more; so far I just did some broad searches through the Oblivion.esm and DLCThievesDen.esp files (i.e., the files with all the main game data and the Thieves Den plugin data). And I know this has also been discussed previously at Oblivion_Talk:Vampirism. But you've obviously done some of the first order tests that I myself would do, and what you're describing is worth a few more checks. Just to get all the facts completely straight: which exact bedroll is this? The one in the Smuggler's Cave cell, or one inside Dunbarrow Cove somewhere? And do you have any other official mods installed? (There shouldn't be interactions between the mods, but might as well be sure). And all you did in between the non-infected save and the onset of vampirism was clear out the skeletons in Dunbarrow Cove? --Nephele 18:10, 14 February 2007 (EST)
Drain Attribute Effect
I am looking to get hold of the Drain Attribute effect for enchanting and spellmaking, using the XBOX 360 version of Oblivion. I have read on this site that one way to get access to the effect is to catch a disease with a Drain Attribute effect. I did this (difficult as it was - I am a Redguard) and before curing myself, as instructed, tried to create a spell at the altar. However the effect was not there. What could I be doing wrong? Do I need a certain Destruction level (it is 50)? Or should I just try again? Thanks. -Iain 126.96.36.199 13:33, 16 February 2007 (EST)
- Good question :) I know that when I tested that tip, the first time I tested the effect didn't show up at the spellmaking altar; the second and third times it did. I don't know why it didn't show up the first time; I thought at the time that perhaps other experiments I'd been doing before that might have messed something up. Definitely catching a disease can give you access to it, but maybe there's some extra twist or some random factor that hasn't been identified yet. I'd suggest before curing yourself perhaps try playing some more, sleep a bit, whatever, then go back and try the altar again. I don't think there should be a Destruction skill requirement to get it to appear, but I can't say for sure. I know I tested about ten different diseases before getting bored and figuring that absolutely any disease would work. If you get it to work and have any ideas about what else needs to be done, your tips would be welcome (either here or at Oblivion talk:Drain Attribute). And when I get a chance I'll try to experiment some more and see what I can figure out (at least get a definitive answer on whether there's a skill level requirement). --Nephele 13:44, 16 February 2007 (EST)
- Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I will do as instructed and report my findings :) -Iain 188.8.131.52 16:51, 16 February 2007 (EST)
- Update: I caught a different disease with a Drain Attribute effect. Once again, I was not able to create a spell. I am thinking that there must be another variable intertwined with this. I will play some more and then try again... -Iain 184.108.40.206 09:59, 17 February 2007 (EST)
Cheydinhal Recommendation Issue
Early on in the game, before I even got into doing any of the Guild quests, I took the black soul gems from Falcar. I don't know what had happened to those gems since, maybe sold, maybe just dropped somewhere. Is it possible to get around this? Or do I have to go around looking for those specific Black Soul Gems that I stole.
--Ghost of Salvatore 00:22, 18 February 2007 (EST)
- The bad news is, yes, you have to have Falcar's black soul gems. His two soul gems are uniquely identified by the game; in order to complete the Cheydinhal recommendation you have to have one of the soul gems in your inventory. The good news is they're quest items, so you can't have done anything with them (unless you used a console command to de-quest them); they should still be sitting in your inventory. If you are on the PC and did something strange to forcibly remove them from your inventory, then you can console them back using the command
player.additem 3C7FC 2. --Nephele 01:42, 18 February 2007 (EST)
- Well then there must have been something that had happened to those gems as they are not in my inventory anymore. The reason I took them was I thought I could use it as an offering to Vaermina. I have the 360 version of the game, so there was no forced removal of those gems. If they were in my inventory than Deetsan should just take them off my hand and write the recommendation for me, but that does not happen as everytime I talk to her, she just says to go and look for something unusual in Falcar's room. I know they show up as stolen in the inventory, but they must have been dropped or sold (maybe to a fence of the Thieve's Guild is my latest theory) --220.127.116.11 17:39, 18 February 2007 (EST)
- Is it possible that you were jailed and stolen items were removed from your inventory? All stolen items, even quest items, are removed from your inventory and placed in the prison's Evidence Chest. It couldn't hurt to check there.
- Note: I am copying this discussion to the Cheydinhal Recommendation discuusion page.
- --GuildKnight 20:18, 18 February 2007 (EST)
- You can't have dropped or sold them, because they're quest items. But another option I'm not sure about is what would happen if you had tried to fill the soul gems (i.e., if you cast a soul trap spell with them in your inventory). It's possible that the developers overlooked that loophole for soul gems that are quest items, so they may have allowed them to be filled, at which point the soul gems could have been changed into a non-quest item. If I get a chance later I'll test that. --Nephele 20:19, 18 February 2007 (EST)
- I checked every Evidence Chest in every town and nothing. I've only been jailed twice. Once in Bruma and once in the Imperial City. It is not there. I guess the theory of having a soul in it may have done me in. --18.104.22.168 17:55, 19 February 2007 (EST)
- I just tested and confirmed that it is possible to use Falcar's soul gems as soul gems: you can fill them and then use them to recharge equipment, just like regular soul gems, at which point they will disappear. It is also possible for them to disappear when you go to jail: if you break out of jail, the soul gems are not returned to you when you retrieve the rest of your belongings from the evidence chest. They are returned if you serve your time in jail. I'll add info about this bug to the quest page. --Nephele 20:01, 19 February 2007 (EST)
- OK, one last remote possibility. If you ever broke out of jail, you would have lost the soul gems at that point (along with any other quest items in your inventory). You can get the quest items back by going back to jail and this time serving your sentence. So just pickpocket a guard, sleep in the jail bed and serve your one day sentence. But this is only worth doing if you have previously broken out of jail. --Nephele 20:53, 19 February 2007 (EST)
I Killed Lucien Lachance
- I'm dumd and killed lucien lachance before finding out that the dark brotherhood wasnt just another "Vampire hunting" or "Black bow killing" thing. And 20levels later, id like to complete the dark brotherhood.
- stupidity on my part.
- I've used the resurrect command to revive him but now what? Can the quest be restarted? or is there a way to "complete" failed quest's?? — Unsigned comment by 22.214.171.124 (talk)
Unable to use player.additem with mod items
Having completed the Mehrunes Razor quest, sold a lot of the equipment I obtained and then installed the mannequin mod, I would like to re-obtain some of the equipment I sold which has long since disappeared from the stores I sold it to. However the Object IDs listed for the Mehrunes Razor items (such as xx0020A6 for the Morag Tong Greaves) will not work with the console command player.additem <objectID> <quantity>.
I have tried using the x's, removing them and the leading 0s, replacing the x's with 0s, yet each time I try this I receive an error that the parameter was not found for Object ID ********. This seems to be the case with all of the other official mod items which also have an object ID which starts with two x's. Am I missing something here?
126.96.36.199 15:44, 1 March 2007 (EST)
- The 'xx' part depends on the load-order of the mods. 'xx' is given because different people may have different mods installed, or have them in different orders. '00' refers to things in the game with no mods. '01' is the first mod in the list, '02' is the second, etc. Recall that the numbers are in hex, so after '09', it goes '0A', '0B', '0C', '0D', '0E', '0F', '10', etc. --TheRealLurlock Talk 16:36, 1 March 2007 (EST)
Not knowing what this hex stuff means, can you simplify? I only have the Knights of the nine for pc that i picked up at the store because I don't have online at my house. What would the xx refer to in that case? By the way, the site is great and keep on keep'n on!
- I play on 360 myself, but from what Lurlock is saying, I believe that if KotN is the only mod you have installed, then the "xx" would be replaced with "01". --GuildKnight | Talk (contribs) 17:04, 16 March 2007 (EDT)
i don't know what to do on a Arrow of Extrication quests!!!!
i dont know what to do, i enter from a castle in a dungeons i killed both sorcers an dthen the door where i need to go is locked. i was reading about that bug in this page, but i dont get it. plz help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
order of operations, please
what is the order of operations when you make a spell, enchant a weapon, or use a poison, or any combination of those three in oblivion? If i enchant a sword with 100% weakness to magic and 100% weakness to poison, and then i poison the blade, what is the outcome when i hit someone with it? What happens when I make a spell that gives weakness to fire 50%, and does ten fire damage? does it do 15 damage, or does it require another hit to get the 50% bonus? I think the site would benefit from an area where this can all be laid out... But if it is allready on this spectacular site, could someone please point me in the right direction?
- Weakness effects only alter damage inflicted after the weakness spell is cast. There are comments on individual pages describing the weakness effects, i.e., on Weakness to Fire. Also, some of this is described at Effective Custom Spells and at Spell Stacking.
- So with your enchanted sword, if you poisoned the blade the first time you struck your opponent, you would do normal damage. If you poisoned your blade on the second strike you would do double damage (100% more from Weakness to Poison; Weakness to Magic has no effect on poisons). Poison on the third strike will actually do triple damage (the weakness to poison effect on the second strike is multiplied by the weakness to magic effect from the first strike. So 200% Weakness to Poison is now in effect). As long as you keep hitting your opponent within the duration of the weakness effects, poisons should continue to do triple damage on subsequent hits.
- With your spell example, you'll do 10 pts fire damage the first time you cast it. If you cast a second time within the duration of the weakness effect, then you'll do 15 pts fire damage.
- I hope that helps! --Nephele 22:32, 29 March 2007 (EDT)
Unable to trigger Ahdarji's Heirloom
Note: This is on the xbox360 version. reposted from gamefaq's forums. It's been a while since I tried to do Thieve's Guild quest, but last thing I remember I finished the first batch of quests from the guy in the riverfront, and was sent to my new Doyen S'Krivva. I remember going to talk to her, asking about a quest, and saying that I could not do it yet.
Now when I activate my Thieves Guild quest line, it points to Ahdarji's house in Lewawiin. When I go and talk to her and the other person in the Three Sister's Inn, i get nothing about a quest. I've also tried going back to see S'Krivva in Bravil, and I am unable to get anything about a new mission. I have fenced well over the required amount of gold (almost 2000).
Any ideas? http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Ahdarji%27s_Heirloom says that it's one of the buggiest quests in the game. I have no started the Sanguine quest, as it says to avoid in the notes. 188.8.131.52 12:26, 30 March 2007 (EDT) cbsteven
- Try reading through Oblivion_Talk:Ahdarji's Heirloom#Can't Start Quest Bug, where the same question has previously been asked. --Nephele 13:02, 30 March 2007 (EDT)
- Hmm.. the solutions there seemed PC-specific. I'll keep trying talking to beggars and talking to the key players at different times of day.. but i think since im on the 360 my thieves guild quest line might be at an end for this character. 184.108.40.206 15:00, 30 March 2007 (EDT) cbsteven
The Wolf Queen v3 Skill book after you become Arch Mage
I am currently going through all the skill books to maximize my characters awesomeness and I've recently run across a problem. When I got to the Wolf Queen v3 Skill book in the list and noticed it's location was at the Bruma Mage's Guild I became worried because during my journey to become Arch Mage the Bruma mages guild was destroyed. I traveled to the guild and searched for the book but could not find it. There was one room that I couldn't get into because the door was off it's hinges and blocking the patch; I fear the book is in this room and now I see no way that I can get it. Does anyone know if I'm just overlooking the book, or if there is another place this book exists? Or perhaps am I just SOL? Any help is appreciated! --Soundfx4 23:49, 4 April 2007 (EDT)
- Checking the Construction Set, unfortunately, that is indeed the only guaranteed place to get that book. And unless you have Shivering Isles, it is the only place you can get it, period. (There is one quest in Shivering Isles which rewards you with a skill book chosen at random. However, since it can choose from ANY of the skill books in the game, the odds of your getting this exact one without hours of re-loading over and over again are pretty slim. If you're on the PC, you can always use the console to give yourself a copy (or get into the room where it's located even if it's blocked), but if you're on the Xbox, there's no other way. --TheRealLurlock Talk 00:29, 5 April 2007 (EDT)
- Thank you for the information; I'm a little upset that I can't read the book now, but at least I can move on and stop worrying about it. I'll add a note to the wiki skill book page to let future readers know of the situation, if someone else doesn't add it first. Thanks again!--Soundfx4 02:04, 5 April 2007 (EDT)
- Sorry about that, it seams I didn't word that very well. I didn't actually mean for me to read the book, I just meant my character read the book for the skill. Thank you for the information though :) --Soundfx4 14:32, 5 April 2007 (EDT)
Shivering isle - Grove Of Reflection
Hi i have recently completed Shivering isle the only quest i have left to do are The museam of oddities , the Taxomony one and the work is never done quest.
After completing the main quest i found out on the net about the sword of Shadowing or sumet in the grove of reflection apperntly your shodow self drops this sword when you fight it but i did not pick it up because i did not know about it at the time , i had an idea what would work if i use the staff of worms to reanimate my shadow self or the risen flesh spell i could attack my shadow self to make it attack me again thus makeing it drop the shadowing sword good idea your thinking , One major problem i have returnd back to the Milichar but the door to the grove of reflection needs a key did i riecive a key to the quest Symbols Of Office i dunno or did it just open?
Can somebody please tell me there is a key to the grove of reflection so i can go back inside and aquire the sword please i need it to KILL the evil grumites or am i stuck for good and will i never be able to return to the grove to get my sword there must be a way or a key to get in there must be or it would not say "THIS DOOR CAN ONLY BE OPEND WITH A KEY" and people have said to delete it of my XBOX 360 Hard drive and download it again but i dont wanna do that that will mean me haveing to do the quests again. 220.127.116.11 11:07, 5 April 2007 (EDT)
Which things in Dunbarrow cave are leveled?
I am an extreme leveling perfectionist and would like to know whether I should start the dunbarrow cave quest that you get from the "Thieves Den" mod. I am level 7 and have not completed a single quest yet (besides a few daedric ones) because my goal is to get the most powerful versions of all the leveled items in the game. I would like to know which items in Dunbarrow cave are leveled so I can have some idea when I should start the quest. If I come to the cave at level 7 and find that the "silenced boots" or the "Gauntlets of the Manhunter" are chainmail items can I return at level 20 and find them in their most powerful glass form?
- I'm not sure anyone has explicitly tested this. I'm pretty sure, though, that you could buy the level 7 version of an item like the Silenced Boots now and then return at level 10 for the mithril version, and at level 15 for the elven, etc. All of the vendor chests for Dunbarrow Cove are respawning, including in particular Kovan Krem's chest that contains the boots and the gauntlets. There's no guarantee that he'll always have the best quality versions of those items, but if you come back three days later he'll always have a new random selection, even if you've bought boots from him ten times before.
- Worst case, if you got to a higher level and found that you couldn't get the better items, you could always uninstall the mod at that point (see Oblivion:Raiment of the Crimson Scar for details). Depending upon your standards for game play, you could actually do that with all of the mods. On a related note, the levels for some mod items (Raiment of the Crimson Scar being a notable one) are set at the time you install the mod, not the time you start playing the mod's quest.
- One other tip: the rewards for Knights of the Nine will level up, if you place them on the armor stand in the priory. So you can safely do almost all of that quest line right now (you may want to stop short of the final quest, Umaril the Unfeathered, because Umaril's sword is the one enchanted item that will not level up). --Nephele 23:57, 5 April 2007 (EDT)
Is there realy an unamed sword?
- (This question was moved here from UESPWiki talk:Getting Started)
I have heard that there is sn unamed sword on top of a building (i think) and the only way to reach it is by usin paint brushes as steps. Is this true? Where can I find this sword? — Unsigned comment by 18.104.22.168 (talk)
- I could find no reference to a sword without a name in the Oblivion Construction Set, with Shivering Isles loaded up. If there's one in one the other official mods, I'm not aware of it, but I haven't checked. I also searched for any weapon with "Unnamed" or "Nameless" as part of the name, and found nothing. As for there being a sword (nameless or otherwise) that can only be reached via paintbrush-climbing, that would much harder to search for unless you gave me more specifics on where to look, other than just "on top of a building". --TheRealLurlock Talk 14:46, 8 April 2007 (EDT)
Ok I found out that it is at the top of A Fighting Chance in the Iperial City. Im satcking paint brushes right now. Tell me anything you can about the sword because I use a 360 and cant us the CS.
- I don't know where you heard this, but checking the Market District of the Imperial City, there are no weapons of any type lying out in the open anywhere. There are also no containers with weapons in them either. It's possible, though unlikely, that a script might place an item there, but it does not exist to begin with. It's also a possibility that it was added by one of the official mods. I don't have all of them, so I can't test that, but most of those mods don't add anything much to existing areas, mainly only new areas. Let me know if you find something, though. --TheRealLurlock Talk 16:22, 8 April 2007 (EDT)
- I assume it must be from a mod. There are no locked containers anywhere outside in the Imperial City Market District. There are in fact no containers anywhere which contain anything of particular value. Mostly just a bunch of random clutter and a few food items, and one Dark Brotherhood dead-drop in a tree stump. And this is from looking at the actual data in the CS, not just from personal experience. Additionally, as I said, there is no sword (or any other weapon) without a name. Notice that if you look at the bottom of this page, there's a little disclaimer:
- AceGamez accepts no responsibility for the content or reliability of cheats contained in this site. Most of the cheats and codes on this website are submitted by 3rd party readers and their accuracy cannot be guaranteed.
- I think there's a pretty good chance that it's either from a 3rd party mod, or we're looking at a hoax here, especially since I can't find any other source that corroborates this. --TheRealLurlock Talk 20:16, 8 April 2007 (EDT)
ya your probably right thanks for the help 22.214.171.124 21:11, 8 April 2007 (EDT)CA
In the store "All Things Alcemical" there are 2 (3?) locked barrels that need a key. I tried the owner of the shop's key but it didnt work. Can sombody us the Construction Set to find out what is in the barrels? If there are valuable items: is there a key to the barrels? And also: is it possible to kill the Udafreak Matron by pushing her off Dive Rock? --— Unsigned comment by 126.96.36.199 (talk)
- Like most locked containers in any store in the game, they simply contain all of the wares that are for sale there. (In this case, mostly alchemy ingredients and equipment, also the Ring of Wortcraft) Don't waste your time looking for a key, though - there isn't one. As for the Udyrfrykte Matron, I assume you could kill her that way, but first you'd have to lure her up to the top of Dive Rock, then somehow maneuver her into a position where she falls off. Finally, after killing her, you'd have to go back down and find her body in order to loot the nice magical bow she's carrying - no easy task considering it might be invisible. By that point, it'd probably be easier just to kill her the normal way. Hint: Fire Damage. --TheRealLurlock Talk 16:29, 8 April 2007 (EDT)
"Where Spirits Have Lease" Ghost Body Disposal
I'm stumped upon a problem after I finish the quest for the Anvil House. It's regarding the bodies labeled "Benirus Manor Ghost" from the 3 ghosts that appear after you sleep there the first time. (Maybe all that you kill before continuing the quest) Their bodies don't dissapear after I complete the quest. The ones that you kill when you are with Velwyn Benirus do dissapear though. I've tried luring them downstairs before killing them (as the bodies that dissapeared were all downstairs). I can't lure them outside as they don't open doors. I remember having this problem when I played Oblivion on the xbox last year (now on the PC), and I just had to lure them to a corner of the house that I go to the least before killing them. It's not really a big problem, but I'm not fond of ghosts and having ghosts laying on the ground of your room is just annoying. (Is there maybe some console command that I'm not aware of?) Attony 03:53, 15 April 2007 (EDT) Attony
- Like all corpses, they should disappear after three game-days, provided you stay out of the house during that time. Take a trip out of the city for a little while, and they should be gone when you get back. --TheRealLurlock Talk 11:02, 15 April 2007 (EDT)
- Thanks for your tip. Last time I even tried waiting (outisde and inside the house) or sleeping for days and days and it wouldn't dissapear. I tested it. I just had to leave the house and actually not go inside for 72 game hours (not counting waits and sleeps) That's a tough thing for me as I wanted to use the house, lol. It never dissapeared when i played on the xbox 360 because I practically used that house everyday. Attony 19:59, 15 April 2007 (EDT) Attony
Oblivion Ultimate Heist bug
At the end of the Ultimate Heist in the Thieves Guild questline, I deliver the stolen scroll to the Gray Fox. He gives me a ring and tells me to take it to the countess of Anvil. When I give it to her, this triggers a cutscene conversation between her and the Gray Fox. At the end of the conversation, the Gray Fox walks away, the countess sits down in middair FACING her throne, and I'm stuck unable to move, attack...do anything basically. I know that there's a manual fix for this on the PC version, but I'm playing on the Xbox 360. As far as I know I've downloaded the most recent patch, but it doesn't seem to fix anything. Is there anything us console gamers can do about this, or am I destined to never lead the Thieves Guild?
Wrist Irons...where can I get another pair?
This is an inquiry for the 360, so I can't use the console commands :\
I recently found out that I can enchant wrist irons as an additional article of clothing that doesn't count as armor which, of course, means 100% magic effect! Sadly though, I tossed mine a long time ago, I can't remember were I tossed them, and all my early save files are gone so I can't check them to see where I might of dropped them. A wiki article here says that I can get them back by being arrested and sent to jail but that is not true at all, I tired it three times, and all I got in my inventory was a set of sack cloths. Another article mentions a place that is only in one of the mods, and I don't want to install any mods because I'm afraid it will get rid of my ability to duplicate items (I've become very dependent on duplicating items), but even if I wanted too I'm not sure if the mod is available for the 360. I found one pair on Hamlof Red-Tooth at Red Diamond Jewelery in the Imperial Market district, but I have to kill him to get them, and I don't want to do that...not because I don't want to get caught (I've got 100% chameleon) but because I just don't want to kill the poor guy for no reason. I didn't find any documentation online about Hamlof Red-Tooth having a pair so this makes me believe there are more pairs in the land of Cyrodiil hidden somewhere. Does anyone know of another pair that exists anywhere? Please tell me even if it is on an NPC that I would have to kill...I may consider killing the NPC if it is an unimportant NPC and won't effect my gameplay.
Thanks! --Soundfx4 15:31, 19 April 2007 (EDT)
On Shivering Isles there is a pair floating around in the felldew place. Check this page for detail. Happy elytra slaying! Also, I dont think you can install mods on the 360 anyway. Tough luck :-( -Lordsword 8 15:50, 19 April 2007 (EDT)
- You can install mods on the 360, but only official mods, and only ones M$ chooses to put on Live. But I didn't want to install a mod anyway because I'm afraid I'll loose my ability to dupe items, and duping is the only form of cheating I can do on the 360 since there is no console :(--Soundfx4 16:06, 19 April 2007 (EDT)
- It seems very likely that the pair of wrist irons being carried by Hamlof is the pair that you originally had, because I don't see any other reason why Hamlof would be carrying wrist irons. Any chance you sold/gave them to him early on? It's possible you might be able to pickpocket them off of him, unless he is actually wearing them. In that case, reverse pickpocketing some weightless daedric gauntlets onto him might make him take them off. Without mods that's really the only pair available.
- Your only other option is to install one of the Official Mods that gives you a pair of wrist irons. Both Unearthing Mehrunes Razor and Deepscorn Hollow give you some (I'd recommend against getting Shivering Isles right now if your only interest is getting a pair of wrist irons); both are available for Xbox 360. If you'd tried to do this as recently as a month ago, you could have easily bought and installed the mods without installing any patches that would limit your duplicating ability. These two mods require the older 1.1.511 patch to be installed (which didn't alter duplicating) but don't require the newer 1.2 patch (which does alter duplicating). However, it's probably not too possible at this point to (a) get the older patch for Xbox or (b) connect to Xbox Live to buy the mods without being forced to install the most recent patch. Although you can delete a patch (see Oblivion:Xbox 360), that will take you back to a game version that is too old to use either of these mods. I don't see any way out of the conundrum. Except that it is still possible to duplicate even with the latest patch, it just exploits a different glitch, see Duplicate Items Using Scrolls. --NepheleTalk 16:24, 19 April 2007 (EDT)
- I don't really remember giving them to him, but I could have...does your Hamlof have iron wrists? If he doesn't then I guess I did give them to him lol. Actually...you know what, come to think of it I vaguely remember giving them to him because I thought the irony of a jewelry salesman having crappy iron wrists was kind of funny...that definitely sounds familiar. I'm going to try the reverse pickpocketing that you suggested. Oh and thanks for bringing that scroll method to my attention, now I can get back on live and still duplicate stuff! I don't know why the #$%@ers have to "fix" this stuff, I mean it isn't like it messes the game up, and if you don't want to cheat all you have to do is not cheat...but any who, yay for cheating! And thank you once again! :)--Soundfx4 22:24, 19 April 2007 (EDT)
- Well reverse pick pocketing isn't working :\ the guy just loves my writs irons apparently :( but due the the fact that I can update and still duplicate I'm going to just install the deepscorn hollow mod...assuming it is an available download that is :)
- I think NPCs have a setting that says whether or not they'll wear armor, so I'm guessing Hamlof is set to never wear armor. I was afraid that might be the case, but figured it was worth a try. Deepscorn Hollow is definitely available on Xbox 360, since that's how I've been playing it ;) --NepheleTalk 23:39, 19 April 2007 (EDT)
- Well all is ok now; I got Deepscorn downloaded, I can still dupe items and I got my wrist irons! :) I do have one issue though, I don't want to enchant the wrist irons until I make more, but when I try to dupe them only one set drops. There wouldn't happen to be a way around this would there? I'm guessing no, but I want to wait before I enchant them just to make sure, because it would be so freaking sweet if I could make many of them :)--Soundfx4 00:06, 20 April 2007 (EDT)
- haha, it's no problem, you helped me out a whole lot :) I'm just happy I can still be on xbox live and dup items :D --Soundfx4 01:59, 20 April 2007 (EDT)
- One idea that might work: Save game, delete Deepscorn, load & save, reinstall Deepscorn. Everything within Deepscorn's zones should be reset so you can pick up another pair of irons. Unfortunately anything you've done as far as quests and new items will have to be done as well, whether it works or not. Backup saves. :) --Deathbane27 01:08, 20 April 2007 (EDT)
- That just might work! I'll have to give it a try tomorrow. Thanks! --Soundfx4 01:59, 20 April 2007 (EDT)
The Ultimate Heist: Amusei Never Shows Up
I have the Xbox 360 version so console commands won't help. The problem is this. After Boots of Springheel Jak quest for the Thieves Guild it tell you too fence 1000 gold. Thats fine, no problem there, but after that it says to wait for a messenger. I quickly found out that the messenger is Amusei. So I waited in the Imperial City in each district for a week each but there was no sign of the messenger. I eventually gave up and went off to do other things. It wasn't until a month later when I realized that Amusei was in the Leyawiin Prision. The problem is that he is behind a door and never moves. I have tried everything from killing him, killing the guard, using command humanoid spells, and pushing him out, but nothing seems to work. Any ideas on how to fix this bug? PS I have the latest patch.
- I noticed that after I saved him in a previous quest, all he does is get stuck/sneak behind that door you talk about. However, when I got to where you are, he did show up and talk to me. One dumb suggestion, but try talking to him behind that door, then go back to the imperial city and wait a little more (I waited at the market district). Otherwise, you might just have to reload (or restart if you have no past saves). Also you might try killing him and see if he's one of those NPCs that respawn a couple weeks later. Attony 22:58, 24 April 2007 (EDT)Attony
Fort Teleman Old Wooden Door key
Well, there is a door that requires a key in Fort Teleman (Part of the Mage Guild "The Bloodworm Helm" quest). It leads back to a high location in a previous area. I think it's meant to be a shortcut to get out of the place after you get the helmet. But I can't find the key. There is a chest near that door (At level 2, I got a Lesser Soul Gem and 18 gold, which is fairly good). If you have high Acrobatics (I have full 100, probably 70 is enough), then you can jump up and open the chest before falling back down. It's not critical for me, but it would be a nice addition to the quest notes. Attony 23:06, 24 April 2007 (EDT) Attony
- As it already states at Oblivion:Fort Teleman: In fact, there is no key; the door automatically unlocks when you pick up the Bloodworm Helm. --NepheleTalk 00:09, 25 April 2007 (EDT)
Fortify Health Trouble
I'm playing Morowind on the PC with Bloodmoon and Tribunal. I'm doing the Tribunal missions now on a lightly moded game (BB and PRE but nothing that modifies landscape or adds quests) and I mixed void salts, vampire dust, shalk resin, and dreugh wax to create a potion that Fortify's Health and Strength (by 474 pts each) and adds 51 Spell Absorption. For some reason, the game doesn't recognize the bonus to Fortify Health, and when the potion wears off, I take 474 points of damage and die (my max hp is 128). I have tried quaffing enough healing potions to heal 474 pts in 1 second, to no avail. I have accomplished so much... since my last save. I'm going to try to "tone it down" by mixing some 100 pt Fortify Health potions for when it wears off, but if I permently have to ingest Fortify Health potions to keep from dying, It's going to ruin the game. Is there some way to "reset" my character without the buffs from the potion, else dispel the potion? 188.8.131.52 03:10, 19 May 2007 (EDT) Scott
- Answer my own question - I tried making two fortify health rings, but I couldn't trick the game. Finally I opened up the console menu and used The SetHealth command. I'm not familiar with the console menu, but it was the only way to fix the problem. After I took the damage, I set my max health back to 128. I hate having to use a cheat like this, but it was the only way. I've stored my extra (cursed) Fighter Health potions on a shelf in my Hlaalu stronghold. They're pleasant to look at, but I won't be drinking them again.
Eltonbrand vampire trouble
I have morrowind for the regular xbox and I want to aquire eltonbrand. However, I cannot become a vampire due to me having completed the main quest, even when I cast disease weakness 100% on myself. any help?
- What race are you? If you're playing one of the naturally disease-resistant races (Altmer, Argonian, Bosmer or Redguard), then 100% weakness to common disease only brings you down to your natural value of 75%. You may need to make 2 such spells and have them both active to get yourself low enough down to easily catch the disease. There are unfortunately no cheats that work on the Xbox to do this, so you'll have to do it the hard way, or start a new character. --TheRealLurlock Talk 23:48, 28 February 2007 (EST)
No, I'm just a normal Imperial. I sat in front of vampires for several minutes, healing and casting the spell. Never got vampirisim.
- Maybe it's just me, but it makes sense that you can't catch a disease after you've been cured at Tel Fyr. You'll have to start a new character. The Hemophilia Porphery (or watever it's called) is a disease you get when you fight vampires. Just choose a clan you want to be infected by and systematically clean their bases, avoiding their main base. Once you get the disease, you must rest after three days, else it will last longer (on the PC, anyway). I just did it (again) because I wanted a screenshot of getting the Eltonbrand. I'm a student at Carolina. 184.108.40.206 02:56, 19 May 2007 (EDT) Scott
What are the lines and dots of the Oblivion Maps mean?
- In most cases, they are objects which are not visible in-game, such as Trigger Zones (areas that activate traps or doors when walked into) and invisible walls. --Deathbane27 14:22, 13 May 2007 (EDT)
100% Completion - No of Quests
- Discussion moved to Oblivion Talk:100% Completion#No of Quests --NepheleTalk 11:54, 18 May 2007 (EDT)
Veil of the Seer
- There's a comment about that at Oblivion Talk:Edgar Vautrine#Merchandise. Before updating all the relevant pages, I was waiting to get some confirmation that the problem is universal and hopefully some type of explanation of what's messed up with Edgar's settings. It would make more sense to continue any discussion about this at Oblivion Talk:Edgar Vautrine instead of here. --NepheleTalk 07:54, 17 May 2007 (EDT)
I see there are some boots of blinding speed mods, and ways to change the entire game speed with OBSE (though "WHOOSH" doesn't seem to work for me), but what I'm looking for is a way to mod the movement speed of all creatures without affecting dialog etc. E.g. I want to be able to walk and run around the world twice as fast, but also have all the NPCs, horses, other animals, etc. moving faster as well, so it's not a cheat. -G
Bloodmoon Main Quest Trouble
I know that once I kill the guy under the lake and return to tell the Skaal chief, before I leave the building I should be told that werewolves are attacking the village. This didn't happen for me. When i reached the door I heard sounds of an attack but I was not given a journal update or anything so now I fear the main quest is broken for me. Now nothing happens when I leave the great hall each time. Is there a console command or anything that can give me the journal update and get my quest back in line? 220.127.116.11 12:24, 14 June 2007 (EDT)
Dark Brotherhood Helper Trouble
In Oblivion (XBOX 360), after completing the Dark Brotherhood Quest-line, I lost my Dark Brotherhood Helper when I fast-traveled. Now when I go to the Sanctuary, no new helpers will come along with me, because they say one is already traveling with me. However, he is nowhere to be found. Can he be found somewhere in the game, wandering in the wilderness? 18.104.22.168 03:56, 10 June 2007 (EDT)J. Ball
- I asked Bethesda directly for the answer to this one, as no answer seemed to be forthcoming here. They said the following:
- Hopefully he is still trying to path to the player. The best advice would be to back to the spot that he was last seen and wait a few days (using the in game wait feature of course). After a few days if the follower does not show up, it might be a good idea to fast travel between two locations (maybe a town and a settlement) a few times, and then wait a few more days. Again, he should be actively trying to locate the player, so the player may need to wait for him to catch up. — Unsigned comment by 22.214.171.124 (talk)
HI, I'm having some problems with my Dark Brotherhood murdered follower. I just started the "allies for bruma" quest, and I was going through the chorrol Oblivion gate with a mage apprentice and DB murderer in tow. Unfortunately, despite my attempts to use heal other, they eventually both got killed by several Xivilai. A little while later, I was back in Cheydinal, so I popped in to pick up another follower. However, when I asked one of them to follow me, they told me I already had a member following me! Unless my DB murderer is following me in the afterlife, something must be wrong. Can anyone offer me any advice? I know theres been a topic about trouble with a DB helper before, but that one didn't mention him being dead, so I thought it may be different, seeming as he can't really follow me around. UPDATE: I went back to the oblivion gate where he died (now closed) and sure enough, his corpse is there, having been thrown out of the oblivion gate. So hes defiantly dead. — Unsigned comment by 126.96.36.199 (talk)
Ambush Quest Trouble
In Oblivion on PC, playing the second last Mages Guild quest 'Ambush', I cannot find the lever or button required to open the Iron Gate in Silorn. It's the one blocking the bridge to the next room marked with the red marker, where Falcar has fled to.
Raiment of the Crimson Scar
I've lost my Raiment! This is one of my favourite items, and I am unable to retireve it. I have performed an exhaustive search, and tried console commands. But they don't work! I type: player.additem xx00BE6A And it still doesn't work!!
- For mods, you need to replace the "xx" in the FormID with the load order of that mod on your computer, see In Game Formid. If Deepscorn Hollow is the only mod you have installed or the mod that is loading first, then the command to get another Raiment would be
player.additem 0100BE6A; if it's the 12th mod being loaded, it would be
player.additem 0C00BE6A, etc. --NepheleTalk 17:51, 2 June 2007 (EDT)
Can't open the Red Room Gate (Arena) - aBomb
Maybe this is a hardware/software problem but I really want a confirmation from You. I'm on Xbox and my problems started when I couldn't enter the Red Room Gate to the Arena. After searching on bethsoft I found similarly problems . I tried to open a display case and it took me 20 minutes real-time to open it... After 596h is my game now over due to a animation bug? I have just bought KOTN (the last plug-in for me) and can't play it... I have wrote a PM to Bethesda to get my M$ point back... What did I do wrong? I have done all quests, explored all 367 places (caves, forts etc,) just tell me if I have done something wrong. Why add 367 places when there isn't time enough to explore them...
I really think someone should write a big warning about this aBomb on first page like You did for the FormID bug.
--Robert Smith 12:16, 6 June 2007 (EDT)
Unsure about certin items found in Construction Set ( Morrowind - no expainsions)
I know that alot of items in the construction set were never actually used and its kind-of hard to tell what I should just put in and what is from a quest that I should search for. When looking at an item in construction set it displays the quantity are in the game. It doesn't count items obtained during a quest and I was hoping someone could help varify if these items below are from a quest or if they don't exist. I will most likely keep adding. Thanks!!
The extra comfy pillow is the reward of a quest in Balmora, altthough I forget which one.--Zoidberg 07:13, 10 June 2007 (EDT)
Azani Blackheart Trouble
I have completed the “More Unfinished Business” fighter’s guild quest. I talked to Oreyn and at that point something happened. I was no longer in the fighters guild. All I would get is the same response - If you want to join the guild, talk to Donton, Azzan, and so on. If I went to them, they wouldn’t do anything. I found the cheat to change the quest level (set stage <quested> <stage>) and played with that for a while. It added the quest update and he told me the story about the Blackwood Company, went to Leyawiin and he was there but that is about it. He will not go to Arpenia. Is there a cheat to set guild levels, such as “defender”. Maybe that would work. Any other suggestions? Mark-128 12:16, 15 June 2007 (EDT) Mark-128
Daedric War Axe problem
I have installed Shivering Isles on Xbox, and I have been experiencing a problem with all Daedric War Axes in the game. They have very weak damage stats (other stats normal), and I can only pick them up out of containers or dead bodies. If I drop them on the ground and pick them up again, I get a message that "The weapon turns to dust..." and it disappears. This goes for all Daedric War Axes I have found in the Shivering Isles, in Oblivion worlds, and even from merchants. It does not affect any other weapons though. Has anyone else encountered this? — Unsigned comment by 188.8.131.52 (talk)
- This glitch is not actually related to Shivering Isles, but rather is caused by the Unearthing Mehrunes Razor plugin. When you install that plugin, the construction set information for the default Daedric War Axe (FormID 00035E74) is overwritten by the war axe carried by Mehrunes' champion (Msirae Faythung). In particular, that war axe has a script attached to it that makes it crumble whenever you pick it up. Also it happens to be the weakest of the champion's possible war axes, which is why its damage is so low. This will affect every generic Daedric War Axe in the game, including those found in random loot or those carried by enemy NPCs. However, it will not affect Bound Axes, or enchanted versions of Daedric War Axes (e.g., War Axe of Winter, War Axe of Storms, etc.). On the Xbox there's probably no way to fix it other than to uninstall the Mehrunes Razor plugin (which also means that you will lose any items you acquired from that plugin). --NepheleTalk 14:32, 20 June 2007 (EDT)
- Good to know. Thanks! 184.108.40.206 15:38, 20 June 2007 (EDT)
I'm just wondering how i can make my own mod. I would like to make my own mod because you can't leave it up to someone else if you want something to get done you got to do it yourself so i would like to know what program you need to make a Mod for Oblivion.If anyone know's enter the answer here i hope my question gets answered soon.Thank the one that answer's it.
I believe that you can install the Elder Scrolls Oblivion Construction set off the official site in "Downloads" for free, however, there are three points i should mention if you want to get into this thing: 1: The download is huge (make sure your connection has the download space) 2: It is very hard to create a mod without the know-how (some better than others, there are walkthroughs on the site but its still very hard) 3:It takes a lot of time and comittment Hope that answered your question! Kicker612 00:57, 17 December 2007 (EST)
- If you're interested in creating mods, the best resource is The Elder Scrolls Construction Set Wiki. Their site includes tutorials and other documentation; their community also includes more modders who will be better able to help you with any questions. --NepheleTalk 01:29, 17 December 2007 (EST)
Wraithguard x 2?
I recently finished the main quest of Morrowind; however when I had first beat Dagoth Ur I used an alimsivi intervention spell and travelled back to Vivec to see what he would say. Since I had skipped over the meeting with Azura, Vivec acted as if I hadn't done anything, well for fun I saved and then killed him checked his body and found the "unique dwmemer artifact". Then I turned it off so that I wouldn't screw up my file since I had killed Vivec, well I went back and went through the final cutscene thereby finishing the game. Then I came to check some extra things and found that with the alternate ending (where you kill Vivec) wraithguard is left-handed which must be activated by Yagrum. So is it possible to have a set of 2 wraithguards one for each hand? I have already saved so I couldn't exactly check it out until I start a new file. Just curious if anyone had done it. 19:30, 24 June 2007 (EDT)220.127.116.11
- If I remember correctly, the unique dwemer artifact you describe uses the 3D mesh of the left daedric gauntlet until Yagrum activates it, at which point it becomes the right handed Wraithguard again. A couple of mods took stabs at adding left handed Wraithguards to the game, with varying degrees of success, due to the fact that unlike every other set of gloves and gauntlets in the game, Bethesda only ever made a 3D mesh for the right hand. 18.104.22.168 16:43, 19 July 2007 (EDT)
More than one enchantment?
On alot of my items there's more than one enchantment, for instance 'Fortify Strength 10% & Fortify Sneak 10%', more than one. Is there anyway to do this by enchanting yourself? Or is this impossible?
- From Oblivion:Enchanting#Enchanting by the Altar(s):
- "For armor and other worn items (rings, necklaces, amulets, clothing), only a single magical effect can be selected. The enchantment will provide a permanent effect, as long as the item is equipped. The strength of the enchantment is preset, based upon the strength of the soul trapped in the selected soul gem.
- For weapons, multiple enchantments can be selected. The strength of the soul trapped in the selected soul gem determines the maximum number of strikes before the weapon is drained of energy. The maximum number of uses is determined by maximum energy for single use (strike), which actually can't be higher than 85. While enchanting weapon with Grand Soul (1600 energy) this gives maximum of 18 strikes. When enchanting with that maximum power (and minimum uses) remember to have some spells/items with Soul Trap, along with soul gems, to have your weapon recharged."
- --GuildKnight (Talk) contribs 16:47, 8 July 2007 (EDT)
Oblivion Main Quest, Find the Heir/Breaking the Seige Trouble
Alright, so, I am supposed to get Martin to Weynon Priory. The problem comes to when I already shut the Gate to Oblivion, and Martin is not inside the chapel. I was supposed to ask Savlian Matius about Martin, but all he keeps saying is "Kvatch was rebuilt from ruins once before, and She'll do it again! Thanks for your help." And then the dialoge closes, without a chance to ask about Martin, and again, Martin is not in the Temple, the only person in there is one Imperial Legion Archer. Is there any way to fix this? I have tried many things, please help. Thank you. — Unsigned comment by 22.214.171.124 (talk)
- Have you checked the Kvatch refugee camp? Once the entry plaza to Kvatch has been permanently cleared of Daedra, Martin and all the other townspeople will leave the chapel and head to the camp on the road outside of Kvatch. --NepheleTalk 13:49, 16 July 2007 (EDT)
Altar of Enchantment
I'm trying to enchant some weapons and other items based on hints given at this site. Like one that says, use 10 pts damage with fire, frost, and shock instead of 30 pts on one item. But the only options I have are drain attribute, fire damage, fortify attribute, fortify skill, resist fire and shield. I was wanting to make a ring of light so I don't have to use torches or night vision when walking around at night. But also want to create a weapon with fire, frost, and shock damage but don't understand how. I'm playing the PS3 version. Any help would be appreicated Rckchkhwk 15:18, 19 July 2007 (EDT)
- As explained at Enchanting by the Altar(s), you need to be able to cast a spell providing the effect before you can use it for enchanting. In other words, you need to purchase a light spell, a frost damage, and a shock damage spell, and have enough skill in illusion/destruction to be able to cast those spells, before you can create your desired enchantments.--NepheleTalk 15:47, 19 July 2007 (EDT)
Cant Trigger Frostcrag upgrade dialog
Hi all! :) I bought all the mods, just finishing maxing out the pirate cave- so all my pirates are out looting. I am a level 8, have played before up to the mid 40s. Then took a break, and came back for all the new official mods. I am on an XBox 360. When I went to the Frostcrag quest, I made it active- went and read the book, expored some with the teleporting, then went back to buy my upgrades. Well, the gal doesnt offer me any upgrades. My quest log seems stuck on asking me to go visit the place. I have done that like seven times now. It even maps out the markers, which I do in order. But the system isnt showing me as having been there- so the upgrade piece isnt getting triggered. Is there a way I can unload that particular MOD on my 360, then reload it? Other ideas? Are we limited to just one maxed out mod with all the upgrades- meaning do we have to choose between the vile lair, the pirate cave or Frostcrag- or can we have all threee fully upgraded? HELP!
- You can definitely upgrade multiple mods with the same player, so that's not the problem. If you want to try uninstalling the mod, read the instructions on how to do it at Oblivion:Xbox 360#Official Mods. --NepheleTalk 12:57, 27 July 2007 (EDT)
Morrowind: The Math behind the Game
Dear Morrowind Community
I have several questions pertaining to Morrowind. I am trying to port it to a table top RPG and need to understand how most of the calculations in the game work.
- How is the mana expenditure for any spell calculated?
- How is "to hit" determined?
- How is Armour class determined?
- How would I manaually simulate a combat?
On another topic, I see that on the Morrowind page it is stated that Morrowind is backwards compatable with XBOX360. Morrowind does not work on my XBOX360. What do I need to do to get it to work?
Thank you all for any help you can offer.
- I can't help at all with the equations used in Morrowind. As for the backwards compatibility, I haven't tried to do it yet myself, but Morrowind is now officially on the list of Xbox 360 compatible games so according to Microsoft it is now possible. However, it's one of the newest additions to the list (it was only added in July), so you need to get the latest updates for your Xbox 360 in order for Morrowind to work. For other info, you should read through some of the other info provided by Xbox, for example the Backward Compatibility FAQ. --NepheleTalk 12:23, 9 August 2007 (EDT)
Thank you so much for the info. I had not been to their site recently and didn't realise I had to download smth for it to work. I really appreciate the tips and links.
Negative Skill Modifier - Where is it coming from?
Got a quick question...
My character all of the sudden has red skill points as opposed to the typical black or sometimes blue when there is a positive modifier. I assumed this was because of a disease or something i picked up but my active effects doesn't show any diseases or neagitve effects. I have taken off all my armor/clothes to see if it was something that I picked up but the attributes still are red. The effect is "red" in strength and "red" in agility. I've been to the church but it says I have had my blessing for the day, which isn't the case... could this be a bug?
Where else should I be looking at to get it back to normal???
Tytin 16:09, 9 August 2007 (EDT)Very puzzled
- It sounds like you were attacked using Damage Strength and Damage Agility effects. Plain damage effects don't generally get listed in the active effects menu. Try casting Restore Strength and Restore Agility spells, or create a potion with those effects. For more information, see Options for Healing. --NepheleTalk 21:00, 9 August 2007 (EDT)
My character is level 24 going on 25 and whenever I level it says something like "you have recieved every ounce of your sucess", even though I haven't maxed my stats out and it is not letting me go to the leveling page. This also happens to my level 1 character too. 126.96.36.199 14:15, 14 August 2007 (EDT)Sean
Ring of the Iron Fist
I'm not sure if I'm doing this the right way, but I wanted to ask something about a magical item in Oblivion. There is a ring called Ring of the Iron Fist... How can I obtain it? I tried to check by searching but I can only read about the ring itself (stats) and how to get 100% damage reflection.
- The Ring of the Iron Fist (as with all other items on the Magic Items page) is only found in randomly generated loot. It can only possibly be found once your character reaches level 20, at which point it has a small chance of appearing any time a piece of enchanted jewelry appears. Boss Chests are generally good places to find enchanted jewelry. Or an exploit involving the Blind Moth Prelate in Temple of the Ancestor Moths can be used to improve your chances of finding magic jewelry. --NepheleTalk 15:59, 18 August 2007 (EDT)
Time to archive?
We've now got 53 discussions on the Reference Desk. Would it be okay to archive the older ones, and if so, how old should they be to archive them? I'd be willing tackle it. --GuildKnight (Talk) contribs 22:32, 18 August 2007 (EDT)
- The guidelines say any discussions should be at least a week old. Thanks for offering to do it :) --NepheleTalk 02:34, 19 August 2007 (EDT)
Oblivion: Dark Brotherhood Re-initiation Glitch?
Dear Oblivion community, I joined the Dark Brotherhood the other day after murdering someone in game. I completed the first quest of killing the guy in the Inn of Ill Omen, but I got sort of greedy and tried to pickpocket the guy in the cloak who tells you good job and all that...so I had to kill the wraith...which I did. Afterwards, it told me to go talk to Ocheeva (sp?) to get more quests, but I cant get any jobs from her. The only chat options I have with her are the most basic things like "Rumors," asking about the town, etc. Is this a glitch or am I just doing something wrong here?
Thank you, Sprinkles
- It's possible that's a small glitch, because the first few quests come from Vicente Valtieri rather than Ocheeva. Try talking to him instead and see it that works. --RpehTalk 06:26, 30 August 2007 (EDT)
- Unfortunately, Vicente Valtieri doesn't give the chat option of "Vampire" like he's supposed to. The game must have just glitched away from me :(
Bug in Ultimate Heist?
So I'm trying to do the last part of the Thieves' Guild Quest, and I'm stuck sneaking in the Library of the Imperial Palace--the chair where I'm SUPPOSED to sit is right in front of me, but for some reason I can't sit down! Console also seems to have stopped working at some point for some unknown reason, so trying to add the Elder Scroll to my inventory directly won't do anything, nor can I complete the quest through console. What do I do?
- It sounds like you may have recently completed Knights of the Nine. There is a known bug during the Umaril the Unfeathered quest that interferes with the sitting animation. However, in other cases at least, it is just a problem with the animation: the game still recognizes that your character is sitting down, even though it doesn't look like you are seated. So I'd suggest activating the chair and then waiting for a bit. --NepheleTalk 14:51, 28 September 2007 (EDT)
I had the same problem with my first save (650 hours)It was in deed after I had completed the Nights of the Nine Quest. Therefore; I had to start all over again to complete the Thieves Guild Quest. 300 hours or so later in the game; all sorts of animations began to get stuck for example I would cast a Destruction Fire spell 10 feet 1 second, and each fireball remained there forever regardless of my constant defragging of the saved data; picking up all sorts of "useless" items from enemies I killed just so that the game won't need to store that information. (e.g. Rockmilk Cave) also selling most of my enchanted items collections thinking I had too much created too many new unique items with unique names. This did help with constant "Loading Area" lag but the Nights of the Nine chair bug seems to have resulted in complete corruption of my ultimate save. (Some how loading an earlier one did not help) but creating a new game solved the issue. Tech support provided no help whatsoever; "we can't fix corrupt saves. And we didn't make the game engine." Occasionally in Alkaid Ruins I'd accidently sit on a bench only to get stuck for about a minute unable to move while being surrounded by Level 50 Undead... I advise you start the game over again as it might lead to a complete corruption of the saved data as it did in my case. Also, do not make unnecessary custum spells until your skill level have reached 100. (You will be making more and more of the same type of a spell for the sake of requiring less Magika. I had about 100~ so I believe this was the reason why my saves were 4MB each. (my new save; 2MB Level 37) Bugs and glitches only get worse in this game. Do not save the game if something like this occurs as reloading or overwriting will not cure these issues.
Ahdarji's heirloom quest multibug
I encountered many bugs during this quest. I was able to fix the countess stuck at the dinner table bug but still didn't find the ring in the jewellery box not even after waiting for several days. Then I tried to kill the bodyguard and received the update on my journal about the blood price but wasn't able to discuss the matter with S'Krivva as if the killing never happened. I'm a PS3 user and unaware of any way to complete the quest now that none existing fixes doesn't work. Lost Emissary 16.43, 28 September 2007 (EET)
Oblivion/Shivering Isles/help everything disappears from the ground
Hi I am having a problem with my game since I started doing the Shivering Isles extension. Everything I put on the ground disappears as very quickly, corpses also disappear as soon as I go out of sight. Usually as soon as it loads another section. It is hard to play like this as I can only sell the loot that I can carry. When I get back the loot I left on the ground was gone. I left a test carrot on the ground in the waterfront by the "abondoned shack" I walk over the stairs to the docks and then back and it was gone. Is there any way of fixing this? At the same time as this happened all shop keepers started running at me as soon as I go through the door. Thanks Bridget
- You've got the Reference Bug. You need to install the latest Patch to fix it. Once you've installed the patch, you may also probably want to start playing from a save game before problems started to appear, because the patch can't fix any corrupt information that's been added to your save files. --NepheleTalk 22:46, 24 September 2007 (EDT)
I Seem To Have Misplaced My Unicorn...
Yes, I know it's terrible to use as a mount, partially for this very reason. But I'm a six year old girl at heart.
In any case, I've been looking for the darn thing for about an hour now with no luck, so I've decided to play dirty. Are there any console commands I could use to simply teleport the unicorn back to me, or at least to an area where I can get it?
Thanks in advance for any help!
- The Console command:
- should move you to the current location of the unicorn. --NepheleTalk 20:20, 4 September 2007 (EDT)
Morrowind Game of the Year Edition-XBox-Help
Been playing game for months doing tasks from many guilds and groups. Have 'Keening' and 'Sunder'. Have been into many cavens and places including 'Ilunibi, Carcass of the Saint' and 'Tel Fyr'(didn't give boots). Just started the main quest after checking on net. Went back to Hasphat Antabolis and he was still after the puzzle box. Got it and returned. He gave me the notes for Caius Cosades but he will not take them. When asking for orders he said get that Corpus cured. I returned to Tel Fyr but nothing has changed since my first plundering visit. What can I do? Have I destroyed the main quest? ==Gardian==
Give Fyr the boots and ask for the cure and agree to drink it in front of him --Jesus lover 20:11, 25 September 2007 (EDT)
That didn't work. Could I have the wrong boots? I think I sold a pair because I had two sets.==Gardian== Got another set of the Dwemer Flying Boots and tried both sets but he does not want to talk about them.==Gardian==
Of course his answer didn't work He dosen't even understand the situation you're in. What you probably did was give Divith Fyr the Dwemer Artifact as a gift before you got the quest where you contract corprus. This bug causes Caius to skip quests and tell you to find a cure even though you don't have the disease yet. As far as solutions go, I'm still looking.
Bug at Wayshrines
I'm playing Oblivion on xbox360, and I can't access the wayshrines in the proper way. Every time I activate one, it says "continue your penance to earn the gods' forgiveness" even though I have no bounty and my fame far outweighs my infamy (47-2 at the moment). The weird part is that the Knights of the Nine quest line still tells me I've prayed at the wayshrine, and I'm pretty sure I can still use the god-specific altars at chapels. Is there any way I can fix this? If not, will it impact my game in any meaningful way?
- First, once you've installed Knights of the Nine you must have zero infamy in order to receive a blessing from wayshrines; see Wayshrines for details. This is different from how the wayshrines behave without KotN. In order to clear your infamy, you need to do the Pilgrimage quest all over again, i.e., you must visit a full set of of nine wayshrines without committing any new crimes along the way.
- Also another quirk to keep in mind is that it's possible to have a 0.5 gold bounty (from stealing an item that costs 1 gold). In your stats screen, it shows up as 0 bounty because it gets rounded down. In that case, one option is to steal another 1 gold item in front of a guard, then pay him the fine when he arrests you. --NepheleTalk 16:01, 25 October 2007 (EDT)
- This is not entirely true, when I started my KoN I had 0 infamy and i didnt do any thing between the shrines and it still said that, i think it is just an error on the designers part because you are still able to complete the quest and you can still use chapels.
Is it possible to take screenshots with a(n?) X-box?
I know proper grammer I just couldn't think if a or an went with X-Box. --Jesus lover 20:18, 25 September 2007 (EDT)
- I'm pretty sure it's not possible, but if it is possible then it would probably require a lot of work and would be pretty complicated. It's a shame really.--Willyhead 11:35, 26 September 2007 (EDT)
- It is possible with a capture card on your computer and the right equipment. That's how some people (like the guys who make Red vs. Blue) make movies. Not simple, not cheap, but it does work. Also, it would be "an X-Box" because "X" has a short "e" sound. =) IWon'tFightUndead 00:55, 26 October 2007 (EDT)
About Scrolls in Oblivion IV Elder Scrolls.
Hi I just wanted to know something about scrolls. I have collected tons of spell scrolls while playing oblivion. I know you can either sell these or use them, but I think that would be a waste. Is it possible to learn the spells on these scrolls as an alternative to buying spells from NPC vendors? And if so, how? Please let me know. Thank you. 188.8.131.52 19:50, 13 October 2007 (EDT) Regin Leif
- Unfortunately not. I've often thought it should be possible but the only way to learn spells in this way is to buy the Spell Tomes plugin and find the books. --Rpeh•T•C•E• 03:08, 14 October 2007 (EDT)
Mephala Shrine Glitch
I'm a member of the Morag Tong, but Dral won't tlk to me about "sensitive matters". Is this a glitch, and if so, what can I do to fix it? Maximus_Bane83 16:56, 27 October 2007 (EDT)
Is it possible for NPCs to contract a disease (most notably Porphyric Hemophilia) while following the PC around? Can they contract a disease at all?184.108.40.206 21:54, 29 October 2007 (EDT)
- I don't think it is possible for an NPC to contract a disease, certainly not while just following you around. Porphyric Hemophilia is not contracted by you (if you're a vampire) even when you bite people. The only NPCs I know that have diseases are beggars. Vesna 22:11, 29 October 2007 (EDT)
Error on Startup
After installing ES: Oblivion, i try to run the game. A few after clicking 'play' an error message appears which reads "Failed to initialise renderor. NiXAdapaterDesc::GetDeviceCaps()failed".
Please could you help? And also send a copy of the answer to my email which is email@example.com.
- It sounds like you have a problem with your graphics drivers. Try reinstalling the most recent version of the drivers for your graphics card then loading the game again. --Rpeh•T•C•E• 18:49, 31 October 2007 (EDT)
Odd question because I'm bored; Daedra, you, love!
Is it possible to mate with daedra like the Mazken or Aureal in the sense of Tamriel Lore, Facts, etc?
- You cant mate period in the game.
I am talking about Lore, history, etc. Maybe I should write in all caps next time.:P
Bug with levelled items in Battlehorn Castle - when exactly is the level fixed?
This question specifically refers to the Battlehorn Castle mod, but it can be generalized. My exact query is whether the item Lord Kelvyn's Bulwark has already fixed its level. I purchased all the castle upgrades, including the dwemer forge, but I haven't yet opened the chest that contains this shield. Was the shield's level fixed when I got the dwemer forge, or will it be fixed when I open the chest for the first time? More generally, if a levelled item is not given to me directly from the quest's source NPC, at which juncture is its level fixed?>
New question in addition to that: I opened the chest and the item was worse than the lowest level version according to its item page here on the wiki. It has 11 armor, almost as though it's level 0. Is this a bug, or is it because the quest technically started at the very start of the game? I completed the quest at level 18, but it didn't even give me that shield.
- The point at which the version for any leveled item is determined depends upon the details of the item. Some items are fixed at the moment they're given to you, others at the moment the quest is started, others at the time that you enter the area of the dungeon, and others at the time that the mod is installed. It is not possible to make a general statement; if you have a question about a specific item, it's best to ask on that item's talk page (e.g., at Oblivion Talk:Battlehorn Castle Items). And I don't have enough experience with this mod to know the details of how the level of any of its items is determined.
- Furthermore, the statistics for all items on this site are the base statistics. The actual values that you will see in game can depend upon your character's skills and attributes. Armor ratings will depend upon your Light Armor or Heavy Armor skills; see Armor for details. Weapon damage will depend upon your Blade, Blunt, or Marksman skill and your Strength or Agility attributes; see Weapons for details. All values are further modified by the item's Health. So seeing an armor rating that's lower the values quoted in one of the tables is not a bug. There's a reason why increasing your skills and attributes matters. --NepheleTalk 03:04, 10 November 2007 (EST)
I have recently uploaded a .gif moving image. It works fine when you view its page, but when I tried to put it in one of my Userboxes, It would not move. Is there any way to solve this, or do all images have to be stationary? I would really like it if you could make it work!(HMSVictory 12:58, 21 November 2007 (EST))
- The problem is that you've had to resize the image. Resizing screws up transparency and evidently does the same to animation. --Rpeh•T•C•E• 14:50, 21 November 2007 (EST)
Problem with sigil stone & feather
I acquired 5 Transcendent Sigil Stones worth 125 points of feather and enchanted my glass armor suit (greaves, boots, helmet, cuirass, and gauntlets). For some reason, the first 2 pieces I equip give me 125 points each, the 3rd gives me about 90 points, and the last 2 give me between -10 and +10. My normal encumberance is about 540 right now and I can't get it to go above 870ish. Has anybody else had this problem or any ideas why it is happening? — Unsigned comment by 220.127.116.11 (talk)
- There is a glitch with how feather works, which is already documented in detail on the Feather article. Basically, you need to be carrying enough equipment to need the feather enchantments, otherwise their full value will not register. If you just wait until you're carrying more equipment, then equip/unequip your armor, you'll find that the enchantment magnitudes reset at that point. --NepheleTalk 12:32, 21 December 2007 (EST)
Thanks for your help! I didnt think to read that article first.
Akatosh, Dibella, Arkay, Mara, Talos, Zenithar, Stendarr, Julianos, and ... Akatosh?????
I am trying to do the pilgrimage quest for KoN on my 360, on the Game of the Year addition, and I have found where all the wayshrines should be, but I have a major problem. The wayshrine that should be Kynareth is labled as Akatosh and when I try to activate it nothing happens because I have already activated the wayshrine of Akatosh, has anyone else had this problem and if so does anyone know how I can fix it. I tried all the locations on the wayshrine map on this site too all the shrines of Kynareth are labeled as Akatosh except for one which as labeled as Arkay, its getting kind of irritating because I have already beat the quests for Oblivion and Shivering Isles and all I have left is KoN.
- I've never heard of this happening before and there's nothing in the game scripts that would cause this to happen, which leaves me to guess that the only possible explanation is that you have a corrupt game file somehow. In which case there really isn't any fix. Sorry. --NepheleTalk 02:17, 15 December 2007 (EST)
I'm a ghost... please help
I enchanted some armor with the chameleon spell, 5 pieces at 20% each, so I could steal items from the stores real easy, well I did a bunch of stealing and then I did a few of the thieves guild quests, but it got kind of boring when the enemies dont attack you so I changed my armor, but the effect stayed with me. I have gotten rid of the enchanted armor and tried various other things but im still completely invisible, does anyone know what I can do to get rid of this curse that I have brought upon myself, if so please tell me. — Unsigned comment by 18.104.22.168 (talk)
- Do you use the duplicating glitch? If so, check your active effects. If you are not wearing the chameleon suit and it says "chameleon xx%" you may have "accidently" used the perminant effect glitch, if not then its some other glitch or bug that I don't know about. — Unsigned comment by 22.214.171.124 (talk)
Losing Leveled Items
I was doing Light the Dragonfires quest and I was picking up some special dremora weapons. So I was losing all of my space in my inventory then I got over encumbered. Then I dropped a few weapons and accidently dropped Mankar Camorans Robe. Then when I was done the main quest. I went to pick it up where I dropped it and it was gone. And I got really mad because I found out it was a leveled item and I am collecting leveled items, unique items, and daedric artifacts. I'm not sure what happened to the robe but I am 100% sure I dropped it right outside of the imperial palace right after talking to Ocato with Martin Septim. Then I walked outside and dropped the robe right beside the door. And I also found out that there was a leveled amulet called "Amulet of the Ansei" on the undead blade Rielus. But when I found out about the amulet I went to get it and Rielus's body was gone. Any clue on how I can get those two leveled items back? I am trying to make a collection with all the leveled, unique items, and daedric artifacts. Please help me if you can! This happened on Xbox 360.
- I think you just had the unfortunate experience of an issue where the game acts differently than you would think. There is an interesting read on this page that explains why Jauffre's body dissappeared after that quest. The same has happened to your dropped equipment.
- There is no way to fix it apart from using the console. That will only work if you are playing on the PC. If not, then I'm sorry but I fear you either will have to reload a savegame, or accept that the items are gone.
- As for Rielus, most corpses will dissappear once the cell hasn't been visited for 72 hours. The cell will be cleaned up and new enemies and loot will be spawned. --Timenn < talk > 12:12, 12 December 2007 (EST)
Arrow of Extrication and Boots of Springheel Jak
I was doing the Ultimate Heist quest and I was doing the part where you have to shoot the Arrow of Extrication at that one statue in at the end of the Imperial Sewers to get in the guard quarters of the Imperial Palace. So I thought I would need a few more arrows to hit the statue. So I used the scroll duplication glitch to get about 100 Arrows of Extrication. So I would definantly hit the statue. But I hit on my first try and I now have 99 Arrows of Extrication in my inventory remaining as a quest item. Is there a possible way to get rid of the quest item? And about the Boots of Springheel Jak, I went through the trap door to get out of the palace and I didn't have the boots equiped. So they did not get removed and I have them stuck in my inventory remaining as a quest item also. But they are pretty useful for jumping on high areas. But is there a possible way to drop any of these items?
- If you're on the PC, you can use the console command setquestobject to change them into non-quest items; the items' codes are
00022DB5. Otherwise, no, you can't get rid of the items. --NepheleTalk 01:04, 17 December 2007 (EST)
- Actually its on Xbox 360. So is there a possible way to change it into a non-quest item on the Xbox 360? — Unsigned comment by Cloud strife (talk • contribs)
Can Only Trap Petty & Lesser Souls
I'm currently level 40 and created a spell that inflicts timed fire damage + soul trap on targets. When the target dies if its soul is above the "lesser" level I receive a message that I have no soul gem capable of holding that soul even if the only soul gems in my inventory are empty grand soul gems. I've tried carrying a single empty grand soul gem, an array of empty soul gems of all sizes, and everything in between but nothing helps. Any ideas or workarounds? Thanks!
- It sounds like you're killing NPCs but have only normal soul gems. To store the soul of an NPC (including things like Draemora) you need a Black Soul Gem. This page has more detail, including an explanation of the exact error you are getting. --Rpeh•T•C•E• 11:39, 13 December 2007 (EST)
- Many thanks for the response but I don't believe that's the problem since soul traps for creatures (e.g., bears, mountain lions, ogres, goblins, wraiths, lichs, minotaurs, etc.) also don't work if the creature has a soul that is not either petty or lesser.
Umbra and Masque of Clavicus Vile
Question and answers moved to Oblivion Talk:Umbra (sword)
Amulet of Kings
Question and answer moved to Oblivion Talk:Amulet of Kings
Question and answer moved to Tamriel Talk:Mysterium Xarxes
Stuck in Drunk and Disorderly
In Oblivion... I can't get the quest to step forward. I can talk to the guys in the inn, but the innkeeper doesn't suggest that I speak to the alchemy woman like she is supposed to. I've tried everything. I've stepped the quest forward but still no one will respond to anything anymore. Any thoughts?
- I had this problem too, I dont know what I did but I just went and did other quests and came back to it and was able to do it, I dont know if it was a certain quest or action I did but if I was you I would skip it for now and come back to it later.
Power attack probabilities
In Oblivion what are the chances for disarming, knockig down and paralyzing for example with a blade? Like "there is a 25% chance to disarm the enemy with left and right powerattacks" And does your skill level affect the power attacks special effects? Thank you.
- I dont know for sure the percentage but your blade skill does seem to have a little bit of an effect on it. Also there are some enemies that can not be knocked down, or at least they have a small percentage of chance.
The Unofficial Oblivion Patch
I want to know what the Unofficial Oblivion Patch is. It says on this site that it adds both the Necromancer's Amulet and the Bloodworm Helm to the Arch-Mages Nightstand after completing The Bloodworm Helm and The Necromancer's Amulet quest. Can someone tell me what patch this is? I have the game on Xbox 360. Added by: Cloud strife
- It's a mod that fixes a lot of known issues with the game. More details are available here and there are also links to sites whence you can download it. —Rpeh•T•C•E• 17:19, 29 December 2007 (EST)
|Prev: 2006||Up: Reference Desk||Next: 2008|