|This is an archive of past UESPWiki:Reference Desk discussions. Do not edit the contents of this page, except for maintenance such as updating links.|
- 1 Copyright infringement
- 2 Acquring Glarthir's House in Skingrad
- 3 Using stub vs. incomplete
- 4 Using the construction set with official expansions
- 5 Jewlry loot
- 6 Cowl of Nocturnal on XBOX 360
- 7 To-Do?
- 8 Policy or Guideline on including Mod info on articles
- 9 Fighters Guild Quest Question
- 10 Skills and Attributes past 100
- 11 Weakness to Magica Exploit
- 12 My Edits are being Erased
OK, I searched for this first, so I'm asking here: I've run across a couple of pages on the site that quote almost verbatim from The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Official Game Guide (minor change to a word or two to make it different). This work is copyrighted by Bethesda Softworks LLC, so is it covered under the United States Fair Use act? (I don't think it is, but I'm not sure.) If the answer is "No", then what is the appropriate action to take when a user finds copyrighted material? --Hoggwild5 05:54, 6 October 2006 (EDT)
- There is a very strict copyright notice in the back of the book saying that all rights are reserved, specifically mentioning that no part of the book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form. Therefore, it is not covered by the fair use doctrine and any content from that book that appears on our site is a copyright violation. If you see something that you believe is a copyright infringement, please remove it and contact an active administrator. --Aristeo 11:31, 6 October 2006 (EDT)
Acquring Glarthir's House in Skingrad
When you kill or steal from Glarthir in his quest you get his house key. If you kill him noone will go to his house anymore, so i was wondering if i could just use his house as mine, and stash all my items in there? Thanks. Link to his quest: Paranormal http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Paranoia KingSeptim 11:02, 8 October 2006 (EDT)
- I believe most places reset the items located inside, except for houses that you own. I'm willing to bet that Glarthir's house will reset, meaning your items will disappear after leaving them there for 72 in-game hours. --Aristeo 12:18, 8 October 2006 (EDT)
- Thanks for the reply man. I will try it with a worthless item. This place is unique because the owner glarthir is dead and he is unique-won't regenerate, so i might be different. I came up with this idea after killing glarthir and thinking what the hell was the quest for? thanks again KingSeptim 15:32, 8 October 2006 (EDT)
- I thought the same thing with Agarmir's house after completing the quest Unfriendly Competition: Agamir was dead, he won't regenerate, no one else lives in the house. I ended up losing alot of equipment when all the chests in the house reset during a long quest. So the chances are that Glarthir's house works the same way. If you're going to do it, definitely test it with something worthless, and be sure to wait more than three days before going back and checking your test object. --Nephele 15:50, 8 October 2006 (EDT)
Using stub vs. incomplete
Is there a guideline on using the marker stub vs. the marker incomplete when you add a new content page that needs additional work? Is one preferred over the other? --Hoggwild5 04:36, 9 October 2006 (EDT)
- We don't have too good of a system for fixing articles that need maintenance, which is coincedentally what I'm working on today. I'll try to answer this question later today or early tomorrow. --Aristeo 12:00, 9 October 2006 (EDT)
Using the construction set with official expansions
I've tried to use the Oblivion Construction Set to view the official expansion files and am unable to do so. I've been told that it is possible and the instructions are somewhere on this site. I've searched and cannot find.....can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks! --Hoggwild5 05:26, 14 October 2006 (EDT)
- I was able to find the information for Unearthing Mehrunes Razor, and I copied this information to the Official Mods page. The same procedure may well work for the other plugins, too. If you try it on other plugins and are successful, you might want to add the information to the Official Mods page. --Nephele 22:47, 14 October 2006 (EDT)
- The same applies to Vile Lair and Spell Tomes. The earlier plugins don't need to be changed. --TheRealLurlock 23:15, 14 October 2006 (EDT)
- Thanks so much to both of you! --Hoggwild5 00:47, 15 October 2006 (EDT)
I've been doing a LOT of dungeon crawling lately, at level 25, and I have yet to find any Jewlry as loot. In particular, I am looking for the Ring of Iron Fist and the Amulet of Swords/Axes for reflect damage. If anyone has any good tips on getting these, or a location/container (type) that will generally have jewlry as leveled loot, then please let me know. :)
Naeo 21:19, 14 October 2006 (EDT)
- There are very few places where you are guaranteed to find magic jewelry (one is a chest during Ghost Ship of Anvil, another is in Telaendril's chest). Even there your chance of finding any one of the three items you mention is 1/108 (and only if you're at or above level 20, which isn't an issue here). There are a fair number of places with 10% chances of containing magic jewelry: most boss-level chests (a handful even have 25% chance) and just about any dremora (other than one you summon yourself). It's been rumored that your chances of finding good stuff are increased if you have high Luck. You may want to invest in a 5 sec +100 luck spell, and use it before entering a dungeon zone and before opening any boss chests. Also, your chances may be better in Oblivion than in dungeons: you'll have a chance of finding jewelry on dremora as well as boss chests. --Nephele 00:20, 15 October 2006 (EDT)
- Thanks a lot. Looking in Oblivion might be a smal problem though, since I finished the MQ a while back...oh well thanks for the info. I'll start a-looking!
- Naeo 11:54, 15 October 2006 (EDT)
Cowl of Nocturnal on XBOX 360
It seems to me that the Cowl of Nocturnal just doesn't behave the way it should. The main symptom is that the guards continue to pursue me even after I have removed the Cowl. Any thoughts on this? JackT 11:25, 30 October 2006 (EST)
- First, does your character have a bounty even without the cowl, i.e., from crimes you committed when you were not wearing it? Second, if the guards are actively pursuing you it is often necessary to stop and yield to them. They will then realize that you do not in fact have a bounty, and leave you alone. --Nephele 11:56, 30 October 2006 (EST)
- Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, it turns out that yielding DOES stop the pursuit of Guards after I remove the Cowl. Interestingly, the disposition of the Guard drops precipitously after the affair.
- JackT 14:35, 31 October 2006 (EST)
I was wondering if there is a way I can search for stubs or incomplete articles to expand upon (I need something to occupy me until NotN comes out). GuildKnight 01:48, 6 November 2006 (EST)
Policy or Guideline on including Mod info on articles
I'm running across several articles where readers have contributed information related to mods for the game (i.e. this statement is not true, you can download XYZ mod and get around this). Do we have a policy or guideline for these situations? I don't think it should be left on the main article page since not all players have access to mods (i.e., XBOX). Should this be moved to a Notes section at the bottom, or moved to the talk page of the article, or just deleted?--Hoggwild5 12:14, 9 November 2006 (EST)
- Just delete it, briefly citing why you're deleting it in the edit summary. With my modest modding skills, I could create a mod that changes Martin Septim's name to Fred Flintstone. We wouldn't be going from article to article changing Martin's name to Fred just because of my mod. --Aristeo | Talk 12:24, 9 November 2006
Fighters Guild Quest Question
- Hi i have oblivion for 360 and i am at the Harluns watch level and those bodies on the green marker never appear. I have restarted the mission several times going directly to the green marker before killing any trolls and then killing all the trolls and the bodies still do not appear so i can pass the level. Is there anything i can do? Thanks
- That's odd... Is your game patched? --Ratwar 00:17, 12 November 2006 (EST)
- No not at all--Yamus04 09:57, 12 November 2006 (EST)yamus04
- There are bodies scattered through the cave, if I remember correctly (it's been awhile since I played through this quest), but the one you need to find to trigger the quest message about the trolls is the body of Eduard Denile. I have the XBox 360 version and it is currently unpatched as well, and I've already played through this quest so it's not your game version (btw, you will need to install the XBox360 patch before you do the Clavicus Vile shrine quest or you will lock up and be unable to continue with the quest at some point). When you find Eduard Denile, you should get one of two messages, depending on whether you have killed all the trolls in the cave (there should be about 15 of them, and the cave has two levels):
- Message one: All of the trolls have not been killed yet
- Inside the Swampy Cave, I've found the corpses of the townsfolk that are missing. It looks like trolls have been feeding on the people weakened by the will-o-the-wisps. I should make sure to clear out all the remaining trolls from the cave complex.
- Message two: All of the trolls have been killed
- Inside the Swampy Cave, I've found the corpses of the townsfolk that are missing. It looks like trolls have been feeding on the people weakened by the will-o-the-wisps. I should report this to Drarana Thelis.
- You can't complete the quest if you don't both find the body of Eduard Denile and clear the cave of trolls. The cave has two levels, and you can see a map of the cave at Swampy Cave.
- Hope this helps! --Hoggwild5 13:09, 12 November 2006 (EST)
Skills and Attributes past 100
I know that it is possible to level your skills and attributes past 100 through various different techniques. I also know that sometimes skills and attributes past 100 have an effect on your character to a certain point, and sometimes they don't at all. What skills and attributes can I level past 100? --Aristeo | Talk 12:52, 17 November 2006 (EST)
- I've only looked into this in relation to the Oghma Infinium, but I think it would be useful to gather all the relevant information and post it all in some appropriate place. I'm not aware of any bonuses conferred by increasing your skills above 100, except for the possibility of increasing your character's maximum level. As for attributes, I know that increasing Intelligence increases Magicka, and increasing Strength increases carrying capacity. I've been told that increasing Speed does increase your speed, and although I haven't really tested that one, it does seem to be true. --Nephele 15:57, 19 November 2006 (EST)
Weakness to Magica Exploit
Okay, I remember seeing on this site a while back (I think it was in the Oblivion glitches) about a method that, using the weakness to Magica effect, you could make spells exponentially more powerful. I can't remember how to do this, or where it was- I searched several times to no avail. So, does anyone have a link to it or remember how to do it? If it helps, I have the patched Oblivion. — Unsigned comment by Naeo (talk • contribs)
- http://inthexis.stanford.edu/oblivion/effectStacking.html Perhaps it was this one? --Aristeo | Talk 17:01, 30 November 2006 (EST)
My Edits are being Erased
Ok about a week ago I added a new item location in the rate items list that quickly got deleted even though it was completely legitimate. I think I may have slightly messed up the formating so maybe thats why it got deleted. Now I added this new weapon location to rare items, this time in the proper format. I also created a new quest entry in the miscellaneous quests sections entitled Dram Bero's Daedric Weapons. I created links to this quest page on the rare items quest page which are still there.
Now however I find that some jerkoff deleted my miscellaneous quest entry. So now when someone clicks on the link on the rare items page it takes them to the misc quests page but my quest entry is gone. This is really pissing me off, I worked my ass off to add something decent to this site and someone erases it without even checking up on it. In the rare items list page there was one entry under Daedric Longbow which referred to the same quest that I added to miscellaneous quests, however until I added the quest it never actually existed on the page. What I'm trying to add is great and can't be found anywhere else on this site. I even created an account to give my entry more legitmacy but if this is how this website is run by a bunch of jerks who just delete new stuff for no fuckin reason then im not even going to bother, but this site should should remove wiki from its name cause this aint how wiki's work! I even sent an email to the owner of this site and as of yet have received no response. I managed to locate an paragraph in Morrowind:Hints section mentioning Dram Bero and his daedric weapons. However in this paragraph it never mentions which daedric weapons you can get ,further more its unlikely a person will search for Dram Bero because the person wouldn't know who Dram Bero was or what weapons he has. I think it makes sense to include a link to his little quest in the rare items section as thats where people are going go look for specific weapons. The fact that theres an entry in Hints doesn't mean there shouldn't be an entry in quests and rare items maybe thats why my entry got deleted. Either way my quest entry was more detailed and better and thats where the hint should link to if it were still there. Tell me im wrong.
Here's the exact quest I added to misc quests:
In order to get a free Daedric weapon from Dram Bero you must first visit Vassir-Didanat Cave which is just south of Balmora across a rope bridge over a river (same river that runs through Balmora). Enter Vassir-Didanat Cave and leave right away, now your character knows where Vassir-Didanat Cave is so you can go talk to Dram Bero. Dram Bero is located in Vivec, St.Olms Plaza, Haunted Manor in the basement behind a lock level 50 door. Once you start talking to Dram Bero look for a topic about Vassir-Didanat Cave and tell him where it is. He'll give you a choice of the following weapon classes; Axe, Katana, Staff, Long Bow, Short Sword (Wakizashi) or Spear. Each one of these weapons is Daedric but if you're unsure which one you want then save before you talk to Dram Bero and check each one out. Great way for a level 1 character to get a Daedric weapon.--Kapasa | Talk 2:03, 19 December 2006 (EST)
- Check the talk tab and the history tab of the page you are referring to. If it does not clearly state in either why your edits are being deleted, you have every right to restore your edits. Re-entering your edits is not required: all you have to do is, from the history tab, select and view an older version that contains your edits in their entirety and "edit" that page; doing so will revert all edits since the date you are viewing.
- The policy of this site, as I read somewhere, is to never remove anything that adds new information. If it is in an improper format, it should be tagged for cleanup or whatever it needs, not deleted. Anything that cannot be converted to a legible encyclopedia-type entry should be moved to the talk page. Every edit should include a description of why something was added, removed, or changed.
- If you still have problems, I would suggest sending a message to a site administrator, like Nephele, who would be able to explain any specifics that I am not knowledgeable in. --GuildKnight 17:54, 19 December 2006 (EST)
- Welcome to the UESPwiki. I've done a little research on the two things you're complaining about. On the Rare Items page, the two weapons you listed only appeared in the locations you listed as a random occurance. They won't be there in every game (this was all explained on the articles talk page) as for the quest page you added, it was actually already on the wiki under Vassir-Didanat Ebony Mine (This was explained on the Miscellaneous Quests History page). I'm sorry that there was some confusion, but in the future, please assume 'good faith' (aka the people editing the entrys were not doing it to be mean), and check the history and talk pages. If you disagree with the actions by another editor, talk to them on the articles talk page or their user talk page. --Ratwar 22:40, 19 December 2006 (EST)
|Prev: None||Up: Reference Desk||Next: 2007|