Skyrim:Thane of Eastmarch
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
- Befriend the Jarl of Eastmarch by progressing through the civil war questline.
- Assist five people of Eastmarch.
- Purchase Hjerim.
- Return to the jarl for your reward.
This is an umbrella quest, involving several other quests that must be completed if you wish to become Thane of Eastmarch. You will have to capture Falkreath for the Stormcloaks (if you joined the Stormcloaks) or complete the Battle for Windhelm (if you sided with the Imperials) before this quest becomes available. Once you have completed the prerequisite, speak with the jarl again and he will ask you to assist the people of the hold. You must assist five people in the hold, usually by completing favor quests for them. Note that many of the quest givers are non-essential NPCs, so their deaths would result in a loss of potential quests to complete. If they die after you assist them, they still count towards your Thane status. Also, you can befriend merchants if you have the Investor perk by investing in their stores.
You must also purchase Hjerim, which costs 8,000 to 12,000 gold. Simply purchasing it is enough; there is no requirement to decorate, although it becomes more useful if decorated. Note that it cannot be decorated unless you have completed Blood on the Ice, and if you have not started that quest yet you should start it before entering Hjerim.
Eastmarch Favor Quests
Highlighted quests can be easily completed without any skill use. If any citizen offers multiple favour quests, only the first completed one will count towards Thaneship.
|Quest Giver||Giver Location||Quest||Objective(s)|
|Adonato Leotelli||Windhelm, Candlehearth Hall||Delivery: Deliver an item to an associate. (radiant)||
|Angrenor Once-Honored||Windhelm, Candlehearth Hall||Quest all Beggars Have: Take pity on a beggar. (radiant)|
|Brunwulf Free-Winter||Windhelm, Brunwulf Free-Winter's House||Kill the Bandit Leader: Do a favor by slaying a bandit leader. (radiant)||
|Hillevi Cruel-Sea||Windhelm, House of Clan Cruel-Sea||Delivery: Deliver a bottle of Nightshade Extract to Wuunferth the Unliving.||
|Oengul War-Anvil||Windhelm, Blacksmith Quarters||Dungeon Delving: Do a favor by retrieving an item from a cave. (radiant)||
|Revyn Sadri||Windhelm, Sadri's Used Wares||That Was Always There: Return a ring to its rightful owner.||
|Rolff Stone-Fist||Windhelm, Candlehearth Hall||Fight! Fight!: Prove your strength by wagering on a fist fight with another. (radiant)|
|Scouts-Many-Marshes||Windhelm, Argonian Assemblage||A Few Words with You: Do a favor by talking to someone about a problem. (radiant)||
|Shahvee||Windhelm, Argonian Assemblage||Dungeon Delving: Do a favor by retrieving an item from a bandit hideout. (radiant)||
|Silda the Unseen||Windhelm, Candlehearth Hall||Quest all Beggars Have: Take pity on a beggar. (radiant)|
|Stands-In-Shallows||Windhelm, Argonian Assemblage||Some Light Theft: Do a favor by stealing an item. (radiant)||
|Torbjorn Shatter-Shield||Windhelm, House of Clan Shatter-Shield||Rare Gifts: Do a favor by finding a rare item. (radiant)||
|Quest all Drunks Have: Make a drunk dance for joy. (radiant)|
|Belyn Hlaalu||Windhelm, Belyn Hlaalu's House||Gather Wheat: Get paid to gather crops. (radiant)|
|Bolfrida Brandy-Mug||Brandy-Mug Farm||Gather Wheat: Get paid to gather crops. (radiant)|
|Tulvur||Hollyfrost Farm||Gather Wheat: Get paid to gather crops. (radiant)|
|Dravynea the Stoneweaver||Kynesgrove, Braidwood Inn||Dravynea's Frost Salts: Find some frost salts for Dravynea the Stoneweaver.||
|Ganna Uriel||Kynesgrove, Steamscorch Mine||Chop Wood: Get paid to chop firewood. (radiant)|
|Iddra||Kynesgrove, Braidwood Inn||A Few Words with You: Do a favor by talking to someone about a problem. (radiant)||
|Kjeld||Kynesgrove, Steamscorch Mine||Mine Ore: Get paid to mine ore. (radiant)|
|Roggi Knot-Beard||Kynesgrove, Steamscorch Mine||Dungeon Delving: Do a favor by retrieving an item from a cave. (radiant)||
|Gilfre||Mixwater Mill, Gilfre's House||Chop Wood: Get paid to chop firewood. (radiant)|
|Annekke Crag-Jumper||Darkwater Crossing, Verner and Annekke's House||Kill the Bandit Leader: Do a favor by slaying a bandit leader. (radiant)||
|Derkeethus||Darkwater Crossing, Goldenrock Mine||Extracting an Argonian: Rescue Derkeethus from his Falmer captors.||
|Sondas Drenim||Darkwater Crossing, Goldenrock Mine||Delivery: Deliver an item to an associate. (radiant)||
|Verner Rock-Chucker||Darkwater Crossing, Goldenrock Mine||Mine Ore: Get paid to mine ore. (radiant)|
- Note that completing Harsh Master does not count towards this objective, as Kjar is erroneously designated as a Winterhold citizen.
- This bug is fixed by version 2.1.2 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
Investing 500 gold in certain stores will count towards Thaneship if you have not befriended the store's owner by other means. If the original owner dies and you had already invested in their store, you [can / cannot [verification needed]] also befriend their replacement.
|Merchant Name||Store Name||Store Location||Merchandise|
|Nurelion (Quintus Navale)||The White Phial||Windhelm||Apothecary|
|Oengul War-Anvil (Hermir Strong-Heart)||Blacksmith Quarters||Windhelm||Blacksmith|
|Revyn Sadri||Sadri's Used Wares||Windhelm||General|
|Wuunferth the Unliving||Palace of the Kings||Windhelm||Spells|
The following quests also increase the disposition of citizens of Eastmarch, and therefore count towards this objective:
- Innocence Lost: Help an orphaned child avoid being returned to a sadistic caretaker.
- Rise in the East: Help the East Empire Company take care of some pirates.
After helping five inhabitants and purchasing Hjerim, the journal tells you to return to the jarl. The reward, the Axe of Eastmarch, is a random, leveled, enchanted axe. There is a 50% chance that it will be a war axe (one-handed), and a 50% chance it will be a battleaxe (two-handed). You will also receive a housecarl named Calder, who will be waiting for you at Hjerim.
- Interestingly, when naming you Thane, Ulfric and Brunwulf do not say "Wouldn't want them to think you're part of the common rabble, now." like most other Jarls do.
- After finishing the quest "Battle for Windhelm" for the Imperials, Brunwulf Free-Winter sometimes won't appear in the Palace of the Kings. All Stormcloak-supporting jarls and their housecarls will be there sitting at a table, but without Brunwulf in the palace. Without him, you are unable to purchase Hjerim or become Thane of Eastmarch.
- One of the possible fixes: use the Unrelenting Force shout on everyone at the dinner table. This will give you a bounty in each of the holds that the jarls are from. Travel out of Windhelm and return.
- Using console command addfac 00050920 1 gives him new dialogue and outfit, but he still will not reside in the Palace of Kings. However, he should give you the Thane dialogue if you have already helped 5 citizens.
- After finishing the quest "Blood on the Ice", Ulfric Stormcloak sometimes won't offer the Dragonborn thanehood(Favor254).
|Thane of Eastmarch (Favor254)|
|Stage||Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
Objective 10: Purchase a house in Windhelm
Objective 15: Return to <Alias.ShortName=QuestGiver>
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 0, 15, 25, 200.