Skyrim:Thane of Winterhold
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
- Befriend the Jarl of Winterhold.
- Assist three people of Winterhold.
- Return to the jarl for your reward.
This is an umbrella quest for several other quests that must be completed to become Thane of Winterhold. In order to receive this quest you must first aid the current jarl. If the jarl is Korir, then you must usually Retrieve the Helm of Winterhold for him first; however, if he was ousted from Winterhold during Season Unending and reinstated following The Battle for Fort Kastav, that is sufficient to begin this quest. If the jarl is Kraldar, whether he was installed via Season Unending or Rescue from Fort Kastav, then the completion of that quest is sufficient to fulfill the prerequisite.
Once you have completed the prerequisite, speak with the jarl again and he will ask you to assist the people of the hold. You must assist three people in the hold, usually by completing favor quests for them. Note that many of the quest givers are non-essential NPCs, so their deaths would result in a loss of potential quests to complete. If they die after you assist them, they still count towards your Thane status. You can also befriend merchants if you have the Investor perk by investing in their stores.
Winterhold Favor Quests
Highlighted quests can be easily completed without any skill use.
|Quest Giver||Giver Location||Quest||Objective(s)|
|Haran||Winterhold, The Frozen Hearth||A Few Words with You: Do a favor by talking to someone about a problem. (radiant)||
|Malur Seloth||Winterhold, Jarl's Longhouse||Some Light Theft: Do a favor by stealing an item. (radiant)||
|Thorgar||Whistling Mine||Mine Ore: Get paid to mine ore. (radiant)|
|Ranmir||Winterhold, Birna's Oddments||Quest all Drunks Have: Make a drunk dance for joy. (radiant)|
Note that completing Drowned Sorrows does not count towards this objective, as it does not affect anyone's disposition. Be sure to complete Ranmir's Quest all Drunks Have before starting Drowned Sorrows, as he is removed from the game upon its completion.
Investing 500 gold in certain stores will count towards Thaneship if you have not befriended the store's owner by other means.
|Merchant Name||Store Name||Store Location||Merchandise|
The following quests also increase the disposition of citizens of Winterhold, and therefore count towards this objective:
Completing any quest which increases the disposition of the mages at the College of Winterhold will also count towards this objective, including:
- Arniel's Endeavor: Uncover an ancient Dwemer secret. (radiant)
- Brelyna's Practice: Help Brelyna Maryon by allowing her to practice her spells on you.
- Fetch me that Book!: Fetch a book for Urag gro-Shub. (radiant)
- First Lessons: Join the College of Winterhold.
- J'zargo's Experiment: Help a student test out a fiery new spell.
- Onmund's Request: Help Onmund negotiate the return of a family amulet from Enthir. (radiant)
- Out of Balance: Purify the focus points for magical energy around the College of Winterhold.
- Restocking Soul Gems: Help Sergius Turrianus to fill his stock with soul gems.
After helping three inhabitants, the journal tells you to return to the jarl. The reward, the Blade of Winterhold, is a random, leveled, enchanted sword. There is a 50% chance that it will be a sword (one-handed), and a 50% chance it will be a greatsword (two-handed).
- Completing Harsh Master for Kjar in Windhelm counts toward this quest because he is erroneously designated as a Winterhold citizen.
- This bug is fixed by version 2.1.2 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
|Thane of Winterhold (Favor257)|
|Stage||Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
Objective 15: Return to <Alias.ShortName=QuestGiver>
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 0, 10, 25, 200.