- Creatures and people up to level 25 will attack anyone nearby for 60 seconds.
Mayhem is a master level Illusion spell that causes creatures and people up to level 25 within a 250 foot radius of the caster to attack anyone in sight for 60 seconds.
- Animage, animals 8 levels higher can be affected.
- Kindred Mage, people 10 levels higher can be affected.
- Rage, all targets 12 levels higher can be affected
- Master of the Mind, allows spell to work on undead, daedra, and automata.
Note that most of these perks will stack, so the overall effective values for the spell with perks are as follows:
|Animage + Rage
|Kindred Mage + Rage
Master of the Mind will not stack with Kindred Mage or Animage, which is primarily of interest when attempting to cast spells on vampires, when it will come up that Kindred Mage does not apply, even though vampires have black souls. Death Hounds are not affected by Animage, but they are not animals to begin with; more generally, the perks will not combine when fighting people or animals raised by necromancers.
- A more common use for this is to cast it on a group of enemies, so they all fight each other instead of you. Odds are you'll be left with just one last severely weakened enemy standing, which you can then mop up on your own.
- A particularly effective tactic is to use Mayhem when entering a dungeon. Due to Mayhem's large impact radius, it can effectively turn the area into a free-for-all kill zone, as enemies slaughter each other. Because the last room of a dungeon is often close to the first, this can sometimes result in quest completion (when the quest requires the death of a particular NPC) without actually clearing the dungeon.