This article is about NPCs who are vampires. For the disease's effects on the player, see Vampirism.
- 1 Vampire Types
- 2 Named Vampires
- 3 Companions
- 4 Related Quests
- 5 Dialogue
- 6 Notes
- 7 Bugs
- 8 See Also
Vampires are NPCs in Skyrim afflicted with Sanguinare Vampiris. The disease causes them to physically change, giving them supernatural powers and making them immune to poison, but vulnerable to sunlight and fire. Vampires are undead and therefore susceptible to magical effects aimed at the undead but unaffected by Illusion spells unless the perk 'Master of the Mind' has been unlocked. Since they are NPCs, all vampires have black souls.
Vampires usually make their lairs in caves and other dark places, and may also be found gathered around ritual sites in the wilderness. They are often accompanied by mortals called Vampire's Thralls. Vampires usually attack on sight, even if you are also a vampire. If struck by a vampire's Vampiric Drain spell, you can be infected with Sanguinare Vampiris, which, if not cured within three days, will transform you into a vampire.
While most vampires encountered will have the tell-tale signs of vampirism, such as black and red eyes, some have no outward displays of vampirism and can only be discovered with use of Detect Dead - or through lack of aura from Detect Life (like Sybille Stentor and Alva, for example). All generic vampires are female; only boss-level vampires are male. The only exception to this is the vampire that appears in the "Vampire Trick" world interaction: this vampire uses the same data as the generic vampires below, but is always male instead of female.
When the Dawnguard add-on is installed, in addition to several new vampires being added, changes to the physical appearance of vampires from the base game will be seen. Most vampires will have glowing yellow eyes and distorted faces, with bat-like noses, a red line from nose to chin, and ridges above their eyes (similar to Dark Elves). During the events of the Dawnguard quests, vampires will attack some towns or cities. Dawnguard also introduces the powerful Vampire Lords and the Volkihar vampire clan as a fully fleshed out faction.
All vampires have a Drain Life spell which can drain health, stamina, and magicka at a rate of a few points per second. Low-level vampires can drain only health, mid-level vampires can drain both health and stamina, and the highest-level vampires can drain health, stamina, and magicka.
Vampires also have an ability called "Chill Touch," which creates an ice hazard that deals 10 points of frost damage. All vampires of level 12 or higher have a leveled ability called "Vampire Touch", which grants a constant Fortify Unarmed Damage bonus. The "Vampiric Invisibility" spell allows vampires to become invisible for 20 seconds.
|Alva||Alva's House||An agent of Movarth in Morthal.|
|Arch-Curate Vyrthur(DG)||Inner Sanctum||An ancient Snow Elf vampire.|
|Babette||Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary||A three-hundred-year-old child member of the Dark Brotherhood.|
|Fenrik(CC)||Quicksilver Mine||An ex-Vigilant of Stendarr found within Quicksilver Mine in Dawnstar.|
|Feran Sadri(DG)||Volkihar Keep||An alchemist Vampire Lord.|
|Fura Bloodmouth(DG)||Volkihar Keep||A Nord warrior found in Volkihar Keep.|
|Garan Marethi(DG)||Volkihar Keep||A mage formerly of House Dres.|
|Hern||Half-Moon Mill||A lumberjack and the target of a Dark Brotherhood assassination.|
|Hert||Half-Moon Mill||A lumberjack and the wife of Hern.|
|Hestla(DG)||Volkihar Keep||A smith and former member of the Companions.|
|Laelette the Vampire||Morthal||A Breton woman turned into a vampire by Alva.|
|Lokil(DG)||Dimhollow Crypt||A vampire searching for the artifact sealed in Dimhollow Crypt.|
|Lord Harkon(DG)||Volkihar Keep||The Vampire Lord patriarch of the Volkihar clan.|
|Malkus(DG)||Forebears' Holdout||The captor of the Moth Priest Dexion Evicus.|
|Modhna(DG)||Volkihar Keep||A low-ranking member of Lord Harkon's court.|
|Movarth Piquine||Movarth's Lair||The subject of the book Immortal Blood, who is attempting to conquer Morthal.|
|Namasur(DG)||Volkihar Keep||A Redguard vampire living at Volkihar Keep.|
|Orthjolf(DG)||Volkihar Keep||A warrior vampire and Vingalmo's rival.|
|Rargal Thrallmaster(DG)||Volkihar Keep||The overseer of thralls and cattle at Volkihar Keep.|
|Ronthil(DG)||Volkihar Keep||An assistant to Feran Sadri and an expert Speech trainer.|
|Salonia Caelia(DG)||Volkihar Keep||An Imperial vampire involved in The Bloodstone Chalice.|
|Serana(DG)||Dimhollow Cavern||A Vampire Lord found sealed in a sarcophagus in Dimhollow Cavern.|
|Stalf(DG)||Volkihar Keep||Salonia Caelia's accomplice during The Bloodstone Chalice.|
|Sybille Stentor||Blue Palace||The court wizard for Elisif the Fair in Solitude.|
|Valerica(DG)||Soul Cairn||The wife of Lord Harkon and mother of Serana.|
|Venarus Vulpin(DG)||Redwater Spring||An Imperial vampire in search of the Bloodspring of Lengeir's Feast.|
|Vighar||Bloodlet Throne||An elderly vampire hunted by his descendant, Dengeir of Stuhn.|
|Vingalmo(DG)||Volkihar Keep||A mage vampire and rival of Orthjolf.|
Vampires are sometimes accompanied by a few monsters, which will vary depending upon your level. The monsters will be the same level as the minimum PC level listed in the table below (so at levels 6-11, the Frostbite Spider companion will be level 6, and so on).
Vampire's Thralls are often encountered along with vampires, though they are not actually vampires themselves. All of the thralls are based off the data used for bandits (one-handed melee fighters, two-handed melee fighters, archers, and mages), so they use many different combat styles and can vary greatly in terms of strength, level, equipment, and known spells. They have their own faction and are considered friends to vampires. Note that with one exception, thralls can never be "freed". Killing all of the vampires in the area will not make their thralls become non-hostile. However, if you are a werewolf and you encounter a vampire and its thrall while you are in beast form, you can kill the vampire, change back to human form, then draw and sheathe your weapon as if you were surrendering. This will cause the surviving thrall to cease hostility.[verification needed — Is this true, or even notable?]
- Dark Ancestor: Destroy Dengeir's risen ancestor, the vampire Vighar.
- Kill the Vampire: Do menial work for Sybille Stentor by assaulting a vampire lair.
- Laid to Rest: Investigate a tragic house fire, and discover an insidious plot against the town.
- Night HunterCC: Claim the belongings of a Haafingar vampire hunter.
- Pets of SkyrimCC: Find trained pets around Skyrim.
- Unholy VigilCC: Investigate the mysterious disappearances of Vigilants of Stendarr in the Pale.
Dawnguard's entire main quest is focused on vampires. In addition, vampires are involved in the following Dawnguard side quests:
- Cleansing Light: Kill the boss of a vampire lair. (radiant)
- Preemptive Strike: Destroy the vampire before it turns its allies. (radiant)
- Rescue: Rescue a victim from vampires. (radiant)
- Hide and Seek: Kill a vampire masquerading as a citizen. (radiant)
- Hunting the Monster: Destroy the vampire target. (radiant)
- A Jarl's Justice: Kill a vampire masquerading as a Visiting Advisor. (radiant)
- Culling the Beast: Kill the thin-blooded vampires. (radiant)
- Protecting the Bloodline: Destroy a vampire before it turns its allies. (radiant)
- Bitten by a vampire
- Dawnguard Vampire HuntingDG
- Desperate Vampire Seeking Shelter From the SunDG
- Vampire and GargoyleDG
- Vampire, Gargoyle and Death Hound (Oh, my)DG
- Vampire and Death HoundsDG
- Vampire and thrallsDG
- Vampire AssassinDG
- Vampire Attack
- Vampire Feeding on the Corpse of a VigilantDG
- Vampire MasqueradeDG
- Vampire Trick
- Vampires fighting BanditsDG
- Vampires vs Player DawnguardDG
- Vigilants fighting Vampire
- Werewolves VS VampiresDG
- "...still always hungry... there's no prey down in this hole... need to hunt more... all this hiding and skulking around, pah..."
- "...first kill is always the best... the blood has never tasted as sweet since..."
- "...I won't hide down here forever... gather a few of the brethren, we'll strike out on our own..."
- "...maybe the clans have it right... hunting's so chancy... why not keep a few thralls... blood whenever you want it..."
- "...blood... so hungry all the time now... need to hunt again soon..."
- "...she said I'd forget, and usually I do, but sometimes... still remember their faces, their pleading..."
- "...Dawnguard getting to be more than a nuisance... gather some of the hunters... teach them a lesson..."
- "...the clans think they're better than us... putting on airs... pah, they'll be the first to burn when the mortals get organized..."
- "...just fed but still hungry... blood... all I can think about these days... last kill was so good... just the right amount of struggle..."
- "I don't converse with my prey."
- "Don't speak to me, meat."
The non-hostile captive vampires encountered in Fellglow Keep have a unique greeting:
- "Out of the way, meat."
- "Ohh... but I will have your blood..."
- "My thirst will be sated..."
- "Oh, I can smell your blood..."
- "Bleed for me, mortal!"
- "Just a taste!"
- "Is that your best, mortal?"
- "Bleed and die!"
- "Just a taste..."
- "You're mine, mortal!"
- "You dare to interfere with me?"
- "I knew I smelled mortal blood!"
- "Now your blood is mine!"
- "Pah, your blood is foul."
- "Soon... soon your blood will be mine..."
- "Your blood calls me..."
- "Why fight me? Your blood is already mine."
- "Your kind are finished."
- "Mortal fool, you can't stop us."
- "We own the night, fool."
- "The night belongs to us."
- "The Tyranny of the Sun has been broken!"
- "The sun cannot protect you any more!"
- "Behold the power of Night!"
- "You blood will not protect you from me."
- "You're no match for me, fledgling."
- "Stop struggling. I'll give you a swift and beautiful death."
- "Let me show you how mortal you still are, vampire."
- "This is my hunting ground."
- "You should not have come here, vampire."
- "There's no blood here for you."
- "You've seen your last dawn. I bring the night."
- "You dare defy me?"
- "The night eternal awaits."
- "I'll drink you dry, mortal!"
- "Your blood will not protect you!"
- "It's the Dawnguard! Let none escape!"
- "When will you fools learn? The night is ours!"
- "I love it when dinner walks right into my arms."
- "The prey is here!"
- "You're mine!"
A vampire who has been severely wounded may say:
- "No... my blood is strong..."
- "Death is nothing to me..."
- "I do not fear death."
- "Never... not yet..."
A vampire who has won a battle may say:
- "And so you learn the power of the night."
- "Is that all of them?"
- "That ends it."
- "And now for the feast."
Vampires will sniff the air and speak one of the following lines when they detect you:
- "... what's that?"
- "Something's not right."
- "We may feed again today."
- "There's something out there."
- "... Hmm? ..."
- "Running is your only chance to live."
- "...I'll find you..."
- "I could feed again."
A vampire who has discovered a corpse may say:
- "Whoever did this is mine."
- "Someone will bleed for this."
- "I will avenge you, brother."
- "I will avenge you, sister."
A vampire who has lost sight of you may say:
- "Running will warm your blood nicely."
- "It's gone now."
- "The scent has gone cold."
- "Hmm. Nothing."
- "I was hoping to feed."
A vampire who has lost sight of you and found you again may say:
- "You had your chance to escape, vampire."
- "You should have kept running."
- Regular vampires have a morality of "Any Crime", which means they're willing to commit any crime, but boss-level vampires have a morality of "No Crime," which means they are unwilling to commit crimes of any sort. Because of their aggression, however, they will still attack you on sight.
- Chill Touch may never disappear and continue afflicting you until you die.
- Use console commands to remove the effect.[verification needed — which commands?]
- With Dawnguard installed, the Voice of the Sky blessing will prevent vampires (and their animal companions) from turning hostile. Thralls and Gargoyles remain adversarial, however.
For historical information about vampires, see the lore article.
- Feral VampireDG — a hostile vampire found in Castle Volkihar
- Vampire AssassinDG — a hostile vampire that attacks as part of a world interaction
- Vampire NaturalistCC — a hostile vampire found in Cronvangr Cave
- Vampire ScoutDG
- Alva's Journal by Alva — A vampire's plot to take over all of Morthal
- Fenrik's Journal — A journal documenting a Vigilant's attempts to cure his vampirismCC
- Galur Rithari's Papers by Galur Rithari — Galur Rithari's account of his attempts to rid himself of vampirismCC
- Immortal Blood by Anonymous — Dialogues about fighting with vampires