Lore:Spear of Bitter Mercy
The Spear of Bitter Mercy is one of the more mysterious artifacts in Tamrielic lore. Little to nothing is known about the Spear, but it is believed to be of Daedric origin, and is most associated with the Daedric Prince Hircine.
According to Reachmen myth, Hircine was said to wield the Spear when he took on the aspect of Alrabeg the Hunter. Other legends speak of a Nord hunter named Thane Icehammer, who unknowingly killed several were-creatures while on a hunt. Angered by this, Hircine thrust the Spear into Icehammer's side, where upon the tip broke off and remained lodged inside him. Slowly, the magic of Hircine's Spear corrupted Icehammer's mind and he became bitter and angry. This eventually resulted in him murdering an acolyte of Kyne in a fit of rage, and fleeing to an ancient burial vault near Cragwallow, where upon he was sealed within as punishment.
The spear resurfaced sometime during the Imperial Simulacrum (3E 397), When the forces of Mehrunes Dagon attacked the Battlespire. Hircine's Great Hunt was taking place in the small pocket realm known as the Chimera of Desolation, and on a quest to defeat Dagon, the Hero of Battlespire passed through the realm and became the Hare of the hunt. Using the Savior's Hide and the Spear of Bitter Mercy, the hero defeated the Huntsman, the Herne Egahirn, and escaped the realm.
The spear was last reported to be in the hands of the Nerevarine, who received it as a reward from the Daedric Prince Sheogorath in 3E 427. The Nerevarine sold it to Torasa Aram, who put it on display in the Mournhold Museum of Artifacts. How Sheogorath obtained it is unknown, but he has notably stolen the artifacts of his Daedric siblings in the past for his own amusement.
- For game-specific information, see the Morrowind article.
- Chimere's Notes about the Armor of the Savior's Hide by Chimere Graegyn
- The Posting of the Hunt — A document announcing a ritualistic hunting of a mortal by Daedra
- Tal Marog Ker's Researches by Tal Marog Ker — On the exploits and studies of Chimere Graegyn
- Elder Scrolls Artifact: Spear of Bitter Mercy bundle description in ESO
- Aspects of Lord Hircine — Juno Procillus, Academy of Chorrol
- Legend of Thane Icehammer
- Events of ESO
- Events of Battlespire
- Tamrielic Lore — Yagrum Bagarn
- Events of Morrowind
- Events of Tribunal
- Sheogorath's dialogue in the quest Chaos Magic in ESO