This article is about the faction. For other uses, see Dawnguard (disambiguation).
The Dawnguard is an order of vampire hunters living and operating from Fort Dawnguard. You may join them to fight against Lord Harkon and his plot to blot out the sun. The Dawnguard was re-formed by Isran in order to combat the growing vampire menace in Skyrim, and initially only consists of him, Celann, and Durak when you arrive. As time passes (regardless of which faction you join), more people join the Dawnguard. The Dawnguard also keeps two armored huskies as war dogs, three armored trolls (tamed by Gunmar), and partially shelters several refugees who fled there for relief from the vampire scourge. However, the latter are not permitted to enter the fort itself.
The Dawnguard's base of operations is the ancient Fort Dawnguard in Dayspring Canyon in the extreme southeast of Skyrim. Built in the Second Era by the Jarl of Riften, the castle served to contain the Jarl's son after he became a vampire. To prevent his son from leaving the castle, the Jarl hired a group of mercenaries known as the Dawnguard, who extended their purpose to root out any vampiric presence in Skyrim. However, the group eventually had to kill their charge, forcing the Jarl to disband them and leave the fort abandoned. At some point in the Fourth Era, Isran, a former Vigilant of Stendarr, rediscovered and repaired the fort and reformed the ancient order.
To join the Dawnguard, you must speak with Isran at Fort Dawnguard. You can learn how to reach the fort by hearing about the vampire hunters as part of the Dawnguard quest. Once there, Isran will ask you to investigate Dimhollow Crypt in the next quest, Awakening.
These benefits should be compared to those offered by the Volkihar.
- Master-level trainers in Archery (Sorine Jurard), Heavy Armor (Isran), Restoration (Florentius Baenius), and Smithing (Gunmar).
- Access to an apothecary (Florentius Baenus), blacksmith (Gunmar), and general goods merchant (Sorine Jurard).
- Access to an arcane enchanter and alchemy lab.
- Access to Gunmar's Forge, where more powerful crossbows and bolts can be forged.
- Can acquire the powerful Dawnguard Rune Axe, Hammer, and Shield.
- Only way to puchase Restoration spells with the rare sun damage effect.
- Multiple possible followers as well as Bran and Sceolang, two huskies.
- Celann, Durak, and Ingjard make up the majority of followers without a level cap.
- Able to hire armored trolls for 500 gold from Gunmar.
- Random encounters where vampires attack the player or settlements are less likely to occur after completing the Dawnguard questline.
- Endless supply of radiant quests.
If you have vampirism but rejected Harkon's offer, members of the Dawnguard will not offer their services to you and will have very limited dialogue until you are cured. Most members of the Dawguard will suggest you speak with Falion in Morthal, but there is another option.
If you become a member of the Volkihar Vampire Clan by accepting Harkon's offer, you will be labeled an enemy of the Dawnguard. You will not be able to use any of the Dawnguard's services and will be attacked on sight by members even if you choose to cure your vampirism. This can be remedied somewhat by destroying the Dawnguard.
The primary Dawnguard questline consists of twelve required quests and one optional quest. Three achievements (80 points; 2 Bronze and 1 Silver) are unlocked by Dawnguard quests.
- Dawnguard: Speak with the leader of the Dawnguard.
- Awakening: Find out what the vampires are looking for. ( 20 pts/Bronze)
- Bloodline: Choose your side!
- A New Order: Recruit Isran's old allies for the Dawnguard.
- Prophet: Find and rescue a Moth Priest from the vampires.
- Seeking Disclosure: Bring the Elder Scrolls to Dexion.
- Unseen Visions: Perform a ceremony to read the Elder Scroll.
- Touching the Sky: Find and retrieve Auriel's Bow.
- Kindred Judgement: Confront Lord Harkon. ( 40 pts/Silver)
These quests are available after completing A New Order and are repeatable:
- Given by Gunmar:
- Given by Isran:
- Given by Sorine Jurard:
These quests are available after completing Bolstering the Ranks and are repeatable:
- Given by Florentius Baenius:
- Destroying the Dawnguard: Kill the Dawnguard leaders.