Standard Magical Items
The following table lists all standard magical items found in the game. These items can be found as loot, quest rewards, or at the magic item merchants of the Mages Guild and the School of Julianos. For unique magical items, see the Artifacts page.
|Blazing Item of Fireballs||when used||Area at Range||Fireball|
|Cursing Item||when used||Area around Caster||Toxic Cloud|
|Deadman's Item||when used||Area around Caster||Fire Storm|
|Frosty Item of Ice Storms||when used||Area at Range||Ice Storm|
|Healing Item||when used||Caster only||Restore Health|
|Item of Far Silence||when used||Target at Range||Far Silence|
|Item of Featherweight||when used||Caster only||Slowfalling|
|Item of Force Bolts||when used||Target at Range||Force Bolt|
|Item of Fortitude||when held||Caster only||Fortitude|
|Item of Friendship||when held||Caster only||Charisma|
|Item of Nimbleness||when held||Caster only||Nimbleness|
|Item of Good Luck||when held||Caster only||Jack of Trades|
|Item of Iron Will||when held||Caster only||Iron Will|
|Item of Life Stealing||when strikes||On Target||Vampiric effect|
|Item of Lightning||when used||Target at Range||Lightning|
|Item of Magicka||when held
and a hostile spell
is at hand
|Caster only||Absorbs spell|
|Item of Oblivion||when strikes||On Target||Sphere of Negation|
|Item of Paralysis||when used||Target at Range||Medusa's Gaze|
|Item of Shocking||when used||On Touch||Shock|
|Item of the Orc Lord||when held||Caster only||Orc Strength|
|Item of the Sealed Door||when used||Caster only||Wizard Lock|
|Item of the Wise||when held||Caster only||Wisdom|
|Item of Toxic Clouds||when used||Area around Caster||Toxic Cloud|
|Item of Undeniable Access||when used||Caster only||Open|
|Item of Venom Antidote||when used||Caster only||Cure Poison|
|Item of Venom Spitting||when used||Caster only||Levitate|
|Item of Water Breathing||when held||Caster only||Water Breathing|
|Item of Water-walking||when held||Caster only||Water Walking|
|Item of Wild Fire||when used||Area at Range||Wildfire|
|Item of Wizard's Fire||when used||Target at Range||Wizard's Fire|
|Item, the Protector||when used||Caster only||Shield|
|Leaping Item||when held||Caster only||Enhance Dragonish|
|Never Tiring Item||when used||Caster only||Restore Stamina|
|Shining Item||when used||Caster only||Light|
|Silent Item||when used||On Touch||Silence|
|Torgo's Item||when held||Caster only||Feet of Notorgo|
|Unrestrainable Item||when used||Caster only||Free Action|
- The magnitude and duration of the effect on a magical item depends on the player's level, as it does for spells.
- Enchantments that are applied "when strikes" can only be found on weapons.
- Sometimes enchantments that are applied "when held" can also be found on wands. Since wands can not be held, such a magical item is useless, other than to sell. The enchantments "Water Walking" and "Enhance Dragonish" are often found on wands.
- "Enhance Dragonish" is the only language-relevant enchantment which can be found; all other languages apparently can not be found as enchantments.
- The "Leaping" and "Venom Spitting" items were very likely misnamed by the developers. This error was fixed by a third-party patch.
Durability of Standard Magical Items
To make the most of any standard magical item found as loot, quest rewards, or at magic item merchants, it is important to know how long it will last when used. The more often a "when held", "when used", or "when strikes" enchantment on an item is used, the faster the item will wear out due to this enchantment usage. The starting enchantment health of a standard magical item depends on the kind of item. Any standard magical item, besides weapons and armors, always has a starting enchantment health of 1500. This applies also for artifacts; see further below. When it comes to weapons and armors, the material the gear is crafted from determines the starting enchantment health of the standard magical item, regardless of the kind of weapon or armor the standard magical item is. See the below table for further details on the starting enchantment health for each material applicable to weapons and armors.
The use of a magical item with a "when held", "when used", or "when strikes" enchantment will decrease its enchantment health until the item breaks and it is gone for good. How much of the item's enchantment health is used is determined when the enchantment is applied/activated.
For "when held" enchantments, i.e. those that are applied as long as the item is equipped, the enchantment will activate and thus decrease the item's enchantment health every time a) the item is re-equipped, b) you wait/rest for a period of 7 in-game hours with the item equipped, or c) you fast-travel for a period of at least 1 day with the item equipped. The item's enchantment health will decrease by 5 every time it is re-equipped, and by 7 for each 7 in-game hour rest period.
For "when used" or "when strikes" enchantments, i.e. those that are applied when an item is used or when it strikes a target, the enchantment will decrease the item's enchantment health by 10 every time it is used or it strikes a target which can be harmed by the weapon's material. In the case of a "when strikes" enchantment, whether or not the struck enemy saved vs. magic is irrelevant; the weapon's enchantment health will always decrease by 10 upon each strike. If an item is used, but the spell is aborted before it is casted, the item's enchantment health will decrease by 10 as well.
If an enchanted item is a weapon or armor piece, it will still also be subject to normal physical durability loss through combat abrasion. Such enchanted weapons and armors may only be repaired by merchants if the line "magicrepair 1" is added to the Z.CFG file in the Daggerfall game directory.
The enchantment health decrease of magical items very likely works additively; i.e. two enchantments on an item will consume 20 enchantment health per use, and so on. However, since standard magical items each contain only one enchantment, this feature is not researched in detail. Such items can only be created by using an Item Maker, who is available for members of the appropriate rank at the Mages Guild or the School of Julianos.
Durability of Artifacts and Item Maker items
All artifacts have a starting enchantment health of 1500, except the Oghma Infinium, which has only one point of enchantment health, and therefore will vanish after it is used. This also applies if the artifact is a weapon or armor piece, explaining why some artifacts - for example, the Ebony Blade - wear out quickly. Thus, although artifacts may have powerful enchantments, they have a limited durability. This is possibly an oversight on the part of the game's developers. However, if an artifact only passively increases a skill while equipped - e.g. the Chrysamere or the Skeleton Key - it will not wear out, regardless of how long it is equipped.
Similar to artifacts with a passive skill enchantment, magical items made using the Mages Guild or Temple of Julianos Item Maker service other than items made with "Cast When Held", "Cast When Used", "Cast When Strikes", or "Item Deteriorates" enchantments (e.g. items made with "Absorbs Spells", "Enhances Skill", "Enhances Talents", etc. enchantments) will never wear out due to the applied enchantment. For more information regarding enchanting using the Item Maker, see here.
Quests where magical items can be obtained
- Defamation: Investigate the rumors being spread about a local character.
- The Relic: Retrieve a sacred relic guarded by a lich.
- The Great Evil: Find and retrieve an object of great evil from a local dungeon.
- An Object Lesson: "Liberate" a magical item from a store.
- Giant Killing: Kill a not-so-gentle giant.
- Runaway Pet: Bring back a noble's runaway tiger.
- Lord K'avar Quest Part I: You are tasked to protect a spy for Sentinel.
- Lord K'avar Quest Part III: Capture or execute Lord K'avar on Queen Akorithi's behalf in his hideout within Castle Wayrest.
- Standard Protection: Kill assassins and avenge a dead man.
- Azimuthal Vectors: Help a mage with his research.
- Guard the Guild: Thieves are trying to steal a magic item from the Mages Guild.
- Former Student Part I: Hunt down or befriend a former student practicing unsanctioned magic.
- Former Student Part II: Help the renegade mage find a box within the Direnni Tower.
- Former Student Part III: Help the renegade mage find a lost magical item.
- Protect an Honored Mage: Assassins are coming for an entranced mage.
- A Dangerous Wizard: A powerful wizard threatens all of Tamriel.
- The Vampire's Letter: Deliver a letter on behalf of your vampire bloodline.
- Territorial Battles: Deal with a vampire ancient from a rival bloodline.
- The Libel: Retrieve a document for one of the witch covens.
- Problems with Vampires: Slay a Vampire Ancient for a witch coven.
- A Rare Tome: Obtain a rare tome for a witch coven.
- A Treacherous Gift: Deliver a treacherous gift to a character in a local town.
- An Expensive Purchase: Buy a magic item for a witch coven from a character in a local town.
- Gold Smuggling: Deliver some gold to a character in a local town.
- Forgotten Equipment: Deliver a magical item to a noble's associate.
- The Fourth Man: Act as delivery boy for a noble.
- The Lost Sapphire: Retrieve a sapphire for a noble's ally.
- The Thieves Gang: Exchange a gold brick for a magical item — although some thieves have other plans.
- Business with Vampires: Deliver a holy item to a noble's contact — although some vampires also want the item.
- Missing Prince: Lhotun wants to find his missing brother.
- Blackmailing Prince Helseth: Prince Helseth wants you to deliver a special letter.
- Freeing Medora: Free Lysandus's Lover from Her Tower.
- Concern for Nulfaga: Queen Aubk-i is worried about Nulfaga.
- Stronghold of the Blades: A trap has been laid for the Blades.
- Lich's Soul: The King of Worms needs your assistance to collect a soul.