Daggerfall: Former Student Part I
- Talk to the Guildmagister at a Mages Guild hall.
- Head to the town the Guildmagister points you to.
- Find Baltham Greyman and talk to him.
- Choose whether you kill him or let him go.
- Return to the Guildmagister within the time limit and collect your reward.
A Rogue Spellcaster
Speak to the Guildmagister, who says:
- "You Mages Guild, are you not, (player's guild title)? I have some guild business of the gravest import that I would like you to handle." member of the
The Guildmagister goes on:
- "Very good. There is a rebel mage that we need eliminated, by the name of Baltham Greyman. A former pupil of mine, showed some promise but lacked the loyalty to the ancient principles of the Guild that are so important to its continued survival. We have learned that he is currently doing some kind of unsanctioned research over in (town), apparently oblivious to his danger. You have (time limit) days to dispose of this menace and report back to me."
The Guildmagister answers:
- "Perhaps you are not as loyal as I thought."
Find Baltham Greyman
Head to the town the Guildmagister named and learn the location of Baltham Greyman by asking around in town. Once you know where he is, meet him and talk to him. When confronted, he will say:
- "So, (Guildmagister's name) has sent another of (his/her) lackeys to bring me to heel. The old women who run the Mages Guild have no sense of adventure, take no risks, dare nothing, and learn nothing. I have never lifted a finger against them, except to repudiate their control. Yet, simply because I refuse to abide by their rules, the Mages Guild would slay me! Why do you give them your blind obedience, killing on command like a hired assassin? Join me and we will defy them all!"
The choice is yours; either carry out your orders and kill him, or join him in his endeavors.
Refuse the Offer
If you decline Greyman's offer, he will attack you, shouting:
- "Well then, I shall have to convince you the hard way. Defend yourself, mageling!"
If you fail to kill him quickly, eventually he will teleport outside, mocking you with:
- "Perhaps we should take this outside."
Once outside, locate and engage Baltham Greyman. When hit, he will again give you the opportunity to join him:
- "Stop this pointless attack, and join me instead!"
If you (again) refuse and (again) fail to kill him, he teleports some distance away and calls out:
- "Yoo-hoo, over here!"
Baltham Greyman will extend the offer and (should you refuse) teleport away again twice more before his patience runs out:
- Offer 3: "Surely you are ready to concede my point. We could have such fun together!"
- Taunt 3: "Did (Guildmagister's name) forget to tell you about my skill in magicka when (he/she) was preaching about my disloyalty and insubordination?"
- Offer 4: "(Guildmagister's name) has taught you persistence, at least. But why remain a slave to the rules and regulations of the hidebound? Join my merry band of Guild defiers!"
- Taunt 4: "Missed me again, my good Guild Drone. Why haven't your Guild masters taught you these tricks?"
Finally, your opponent will draw the line:
- "You are beginning to try my patience, but I will give you one last chance. Cease your attack, and I will let bygones be bygones."
Baltham Greyman is not lying; if you wish to change your mind and join him, this is your last chance. The sorcerer will stand and fight to the death upon your refusal. Once Greyman is dead, collect any loot from his body and report back to the Guild for your reward.
Join Team Renegade
If you accept Baltham Greyman's offer at any time during the encounter, he will say:
- "Wonderful! Just tell old (Guildmagister's name) that I was not here, but left this letter for (him/her). I must depart, but I will contact you as soon as I can cook us up a truly smashing adventure. Ta ta!"
Greyman gives you the letter and disappears to points unknown. The letter says:
- Dear (Guildmagister's name),
- So sorry I missed you. I would love
- to catch up on old times with you. Do you
- remember the days when I dutifully learned
- at your knee, as if you had more to teach me
- than the stale repetition of past greatness?
- (Random name 1), the Archmagister (random name 2) --
- in their day the Mages Guild was an institution
- worthy of respect. No more. I cannot offer my
- allegiance to a Guild whose sole purpose is to
- quash all original thought.
- If you send more of your enforcers against
- me, I will be forced to defend myself. Consider
- yourself warned.
- Your humble pupil,
- (Baltham Greyman)
Return to the Mages Guild and deliver the letter for your reward.
When you report back to the Guildmagister after killing Baltham Greyman, he says:
- "Very good, (player's guild title). The Mages Guild cannot survive if we do not enforce our own rules, harsh as they may seem."
If you instead agreed to let Baltham Greyman escape, the Guildmagister reads his letter and stammers:
- "Why...that impertinent! I am speechless! You can now see why (Baltham Greyman) must be stopped at all costs, before (he/she) undermines everything the Guild stands for. It is unfortunate that you missed that miserable little sot, but I have no doubt that we will soon track (him/her) down again."
Regardless of how the quest ends, the Guildmagister then gives you a magic item as a reward, adding:
- "I made this (magical item) myself as a token of my appreciation for your service to the Mages Guild."
Whether you decide to kill Baltham Greyman or let him go, the quest will count as success if you return to the Guildmagister in time.
A successfully completed quest results in a reputation gain according to the table below.
|The Mercenary Mages||+5|
A failed quest results in a reputation loss according to the table below.
(Allies/Enemies affiliations for listed factions are not considered.)
- Quest Target: One Mage
- This quest is only available with the CompUSA Special Edition Patch.
- If you choose to let Baltham Greyman escape, this quest becomes the prelude for the first of two more quests with him. This follow-up quest will begin automatically after a set time has passed.
- Baltham Greyman may sometimes appear in the guise of a female mage. He may even swap genders mid-battle after teleporting away, but is always represented in combat by the lone mage who appears. This is due to the way the game engine generates enemies.
|Former Student Part I (n0b11y18)|
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|0||(Date): I have undertaken to find and destroy a rebel mage, who currently resides in (town). Once I have disposed of this mage, (Baltham Greyman), I am to report back to (Guildmagister's name) of (guild town)'s Mages Guild. I have (time limit) days.|
|1||(Date): I agreed to spare (Baltham Greyman)'s life. (He/She) said I should just tell (Guildmagister's name) that I found no sign of (Baltham Greyman) in (town), except for a letter which (he/she) gave me.|
|Prev: None||Next: Former Student Part II|