The Betony Demo is a rare Daggerfall demo set on the Isle of Betony. It was the third and final major Daggerfall demo to be released, following the early preview CD demo and dungeon demos. This demo includes a tutorial and quest, and features the full game's character creation system and most gameplay mechanics, though skills are capped at 40%. There is a time limit for each individual save of around 50-100 in-game days, but you can start an unlimited number of new games. The locations found in this demo are unique to it and not found in the final release, though the region itself does appear.
Six pregenerated characters are made available by default: a Knight, Ranger, Sorcerer, Spellsword, Warrior, and a custom class named "Protector". Whether you choose one of these or create a new character, the game then begins at the gates to the city of Betony.
The Betony Demo can be downloaded from the Files page.
In addition to this tutorial and quest, several quests from the full game are available in the demo.
- Betony Demo Quest: An introduction to the Daggerfall Betony Demo.
Merchants and Innkeepers quests
- The Postman: Deliver a compromising letter.
- The Duel: React to a provocation.
- The First Printing: Find and return a rare book.
- The Escort: A person is in desperate need of an escort.
- An Object Lesson: "Liberate" a magical item from a store.
- Smuggling: Smuggle some contraband to a local town.
- A Mix-Up: Dispel false accusations of theft by finding the true culprit.
- The Ransom: Ransom a person, kidnapped by the Thieves Guild.
Knightly Orders quests
- The Princess: Rescue an abducted princess.
- Retribution: Restore honor to the Order by killing a traitor.
- Trouble with Orcs: Kill the leader of a local orc gang.
- The Haunted House: Perform an exorcism at a haunted house in the region.
- The Insane Priest: Find a priest on a rampage in a local dungeon and bring him back.
- The Stolen Item: Find and retrieve a religious item stolen from a temple.
Dark Brotherhood quests
- The Acceptance Test: The acceptance test for the Dark Brotherhood.
- No Escape: Execute a former member who tried to escape from the Brotherhood's retribution.
- A Renegade Mage: Execute a renegade mage on behalf of the Mages Guild.
Fighters Guild quests
- Wild Animal: A beast has infiltrated someone's home.
- Hunt for Giant Rodents: A house is infested by rodents.
- Hunt for a Giant Scorpion: Kill a giant scorpion in a building in town.
Mages Guild quests
- Retrieve an Ingredient: Grab an ingredient from a local dungeon.
- Research Notes: Grab some research for the Mages Guild.
- The Loose Pet Imp: A student's pet imp has been released.
Thieves Guild quests
- The Qualifying Examination: The qualifying examination for the Thieves Guild.
- A Hot Stone: Pick up a stolen gem from a guild member in a local town.
- Arms Supply: Deliver a weapon to a guild member in a local town.
- Jewel Smuggling: Deliver a gem to a character in a local town.
- The Evil Wizard: Find and kill an evil wizard in a local dungeon.
The demo features locations which cannot be found on Betony in the game's full release.
|Location Name||Guild Locations||Merchant Locations||Temple Locations|
|Fighters Guild||Mages Guild||Knights of the Flame||Thieves Guild||Alche-
|Clothing Stores||General Stores||Gem Stores||Libraries||Pawn Shops||Weapon Smiths||Mara *||Other|