This article is about the Mages Guild quest. For the spell, see Banish Daedra (spell).
- Talk to a Guildmagister of the Mages Guild.
- Travel to the dungeon named by the Guildmagister.
- Find the Frost Daedra within and hit it once.
- Use the scroll the Guildmagister gave you.
- Use the circinate spell "Banish Daedra" on the Frost Daedra.
- Return to the Guildmagister within the time limit and collect your reward.
Speak to a Guildmagister, who says one of:
- "I don't know if you can assist me at all, (player's first name). I'm looking for a mage powerful enough to cast the spell Banish Daedra with little chance of failure. Could you?"
- "Banish Daedra is one of the most difficult of the standard circinate spells to cast. Few spells require more innate magicka and skill. You wouldn't happen to be able to cast Banish Daedra, would you?"
- "It is a great irony that summoning a daedra is a relatively simple matter, but banishing them, not so. You wouldn't happen to have the power to cast the standard circinate spell Banish Daedra, would you?"
The Guildmagister goes on:
- "I sincerely hope you're not lying about this. I don't want this particular daedra slain, for I may need its services later, but it's a vexatious presence right now. And don't make up a spell like Banish Daedra in the Spell Maker. It has to be the standard, basic circinate spell. Now, because I was the one who summoned this daedra, I can make your job somewhat easier, but you must follow my instructions exactly. Take this scroll, which contains a spell to momentarily imprison the daedra using its true name. Before using it, however, you must be sure to draw blood from your target, or it may backfire with unpredictable results. Once the daedra is imprisoned, Banish Daedra has very little chance of failing. The daedra in question is over in (dungeon). I'll expect you back in (time limit) days. Good luck to you, (player's guild title)."
The Guildmagister answers:
- "Ah, well, the search goes on."
Banishing the Daedra
Travel to the dungeon named by the Guildmagister, enter it, and find the Daedra within. The target will always be a Frost Daedra, but beware as there may be multiple enemies of this type inside the dungeon. This can be problematic as you get no notification upon hitting the target. However, the Frost Daedra in question will always be at one of the dungeon's quest locations, which can be recognized with some experience.
Once you have found the Daedra, hit it once with a weapon of mithril quality or better, or with your fist if you lack one. Once the Frost Daedra has been hit, use the scroll the Guildmagister gave you to chant:
- "Zanoth na' (Frost Daedra's name). Zanoth na' (Daedra Prince). Senet seneth mor."
The scroll will restrain the wounded Frost Daedra so it can neither move nor attack. Prepare the circinate spell "Banish Daedra". It is not actually necessary to cast it, thus allowing you to reclaim the magicka cost. The Frost Daedra will be sent back where it came from:
- The daedra (Frost Daedra's name) has been properly banished back to the Plane of Oblivion.
Return to the Guildmagister and collect your reward.
Note: you must perform these actions in this exact order. Failure to use the scroll will result in a dead Frost Daedra and an unhappy Guildmagister. If you use the scroll before wounding the Frost Daedra, it will not work as intended and summon a Fire Daedra:
- A burst of flame consumes the scroll as you read the last word.
- "I am (Fire Daedra's name). Who calls me from my home in Oblivion?"
Each of these outcomes results in a failed quest.
Upon returning to the Guildmagister after successfully banishing the Frost Daedra, you will be told:
- "Well done, (player's guild title). Now, I don't have any gold to offer you, but here's a book I particularly enjoyed."
If you failed to properly banish the creature, the Guildmagister instead chastises you:
- "You blundering fool, I specifically instructed you to banish (Frost Daedra's name), not kill it. Now I will have to go to the trouble of learning another daedra's true name. Your presence here has become oppressive, (player's first name). Please leave at once."
A successfully completed quest results in a reputation gain according to the table below.
|The Mercenary Mages||+5|
A failed quest results in a reputation loss according to the table below.
(Allies/Enemies affiliations for listed factions are not considered.)
- Random dungeon monsters
- Quest Target: One Frost Daedra
- One Fire Daedra if you use the scroll before you hit the Frost Daedra
- The most difficult part of this quest (aside from the dungeon crawl) is to have sufficient spell points to cast "Banish Daedra" in the first place. It is one of the most magicka-exhaustive spells, even with a high Mysticism skill. A battlemage, for example, with 175 spell points and a high Mysticism skill is not able to cast this spell without the help of any additional spell points. Only a spellcasting character with a high Mysticism skill and, if necessary, additional spell points, will ever be able to have enough magicka for this spell. Non-spellcasters may never be able to cast it.
- Due to a bug in the questfile, the game will sometimes crash to disk if you save the game after the Daedra has been banished.
- DFQFIX corrects this issue.
After you have accepted this quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "Daedras seem to be attracted to (dungeon). Must be some spiritual about it."
- "Old (Guildmagister's name) is forever summoning things up and getting (him/her) -self in trouble."
If you fail the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "The daedric stars last night shone particularly bright."
If you successfully complete the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "(Guildmagister's name)'s daedra is gone for now. But daedras have a habit of returning."
- "(Dungeon) is relatively purged of daedric influence, at least for now."
If you successfully complete the quest, the quest giver may later greet you with:
- "Are you enjoying that book, (player's first name)? I found it rather illuminating, myself."
If you failed the quest, the quest giver will greet you with:
- "If you didn't have the spell Banish Daedra, you shouldn't have taken the quest. Now leave me."
|Banish Daedra (n0b40y07)|
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|0||(Date): (Guildmagister's name) of the Mages Guild in (town) has sent me to (dungeon) where I am to cast the spell Banish Daedra on a daedra. (Guildmagister's name) gave me a scroll with a spell to imprison the daedra briefly in order to make it easier to banish, but the spell will only work if I first draw blood. Within (time limit) days, I am to return, mission successful.|