Daggerfall:An Ancient Scroll
- Talk to the Guildmagister at a Mages Guild hall.
- Head to the dungeon the Guildmagister mentioned.
- Find and retrieve the scroll you have come for.
- Bring it back to the Guildmagister within the time limit.
The Guildmagister says:
- "Hmmph. You're not a guild member. I really shouldn't give out jobs to non-members. However, I have something that I need done that I don't really want anyone else in the guild to find out about. If you do this for me for free, I'll spread it around that you are our kind of (player's race). What do you say (player's first name)?"
The Guildmagister goes on:
- "My name is (Guildmagister's name). There is an ancient text supposedly hidden in (dungeon). Bring it back to me within (time limit) days and I'll consider the job done."
The Guildmagister answers:
- "Go away. You bother me."
Seeking the Scroll
This quest is yet another dungeon crawl. Travel to the dungeon the Guildmagister told you about and find the scroll within. Once you have found it, pick it up and receive a notification:
- This must be the parchment (Guildmagister's name) sent you to find.
Be warned, reading the scroll will summon an Ice Atronach which will attack you, so it is advised to keep your eyes off the scroll. However, reading it has no negative influence on the outcome of the quest. If you read it, the following invocation is written on the scroll:
- Zephrim alga n' nagog. Carti
- alga n' belyl. Azuth Zephrim ne'
- nagog. Partik aloy partik frae i
- eyominathraq n' toyl. Berik azuth
- n' nagog. Charlaq gimle n' maluk
- Zephrim qork.
And as a result:
- As you read the final word, a frigid blast almost whirls the paper out of your hands.
Deal with the ice atronach. Afterward, or immediately if you did not let curiosity get the better of you, return the scroll to the Guildmagister.
When you bring the scroll to the Guildmagister in time he says:
- "Excellent. I remembered to warn you not to read this, didn't I? Could be quite dangerous if you pronounced "nagog" with the hard g, as laymen are apt. Well, thanks for your help, (player's name). Keep this up and we'll consider you for membership in the Mages Guild."
A successfully completed quest results in a reputation gain according to the table below.
|The Mercenary Mages||+5|
A failed quest results in a reputation loss according to the table below.
(Allies/Enemies affiliations for listed factions are not considered.)
- Random dungeon monsters
- One Ice Atronach if you read the scroll
After you have accepted this quest and after completing it (successfully or not), NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "I got a boil the other day ... but it healed."
- "I just had a three hour conversation about the weather."
- "The weather is pretty usual for this time of year."
- "It seems a trifle coolish in (current locale) for this time of year."
- "It sure is a lot warmer today than this time last year."
- "My great aunt is going to a specialist across the Bay."
- "It's always funny what time it gets dark around here."
- "We should erect a war statue around here."
- "The kids these days with their magic. (Oath), I don't know."
- "I had the weirdest dream last night."
- "I heard a great joke. (Joke)"
- "(Joke) Actually, that's a joke."
- "(Joke) Can you explain that to me?"
- "The legal system in (region) has it good points and bad ones."
If you successfully complete the quest, the quest giver may later greet you with:
- "Certainly I remember you, (player's first name). You brought me that text, right?"
If you failed the quest, the quest giver will greet you with:
- "I can't imagine a simpler assignment than the one I gave you -- just find a rare old scroll. Now, I can't imagine a reason why I should keeping talking to you."
|An Ancient Scroll (n0c00y13)|
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|0||(Date): I met (Guildmagister's name) of the Mages Guild of (town) who sent me on a quest to find an ancient text hidden in (dungeon). I have (time limit) days to get it to (him/her).|