01:09, 27 May 2014 (GMT): I'm back playing Skyrim once again. I am not in ESO, so please don't ask.
||This is my talk page, so feel free to drop me a line here if you want to talk. I can sometimes also be found on IRC, but my timezone is GMT+12 (Auckland, New Zealand) so I may not be around when most people are. If you have a question, comment, or feedback about my contributions, please leave it here, between the two comment lines. Thanks.
If anyone is wondering about my latest status message, my left arm froze up on me a few days ago while I was on the computer. It just stopped responding to normal input, and I couldn't reboot it. 😈
I ended up in hospital for three days, they scanned it and x-rayed it up, down, and sideways, but couldn't find the cause of the problem. After some enforced bed-rest, the arm finally came right again by itself. There was some initial concern that I may have had a stroke, but the medical profession ruled that out. They can tell me for certain what DIDN'T cause it, but just not what DID. Very strange. Anyway, I'm all better now, and catching up on what's been going on here while I've been away. — Daric✐ 13:55, 8 April 2013 (GMT)
GIS and TES
I still have ArcGIS installed on one of my computers. Is your GRASS software able to read ESRI's data format? If so I may be of assistance digitizing some of the TES maps. I am currently working with the ARENA data but intend to move on to the other games eventually. Let me know if you still have the interest. Igor van Dame (talk) 00:41, 21 April 2013 (GMT)
- Yes, I can definitely handle ESRI's data format. I haven't done much recently on my cartography project, as I've been spending a lot of time working on my fan fiction lately. I would like to get a decent world map of Nirn though at some time, though. It's on the back boiler right now. 😎 — Daric✐ 00:51, 21 April 2013 (GMT)
Does anybody know what language these letters are from? This is a randomly constructed word, using some of the letters from the Word Wall in the 6th Chapter of the Black Book Waking Dreams, the Word Wall that gives the third word of the Dragon Aspect shout, but there are strange, moving words behind the Dragon Language text, written in a language that I don't recognize.
If these are identified as an existing language from the Elder Scrolls games, and if there is a translation available, I'll say no more about it. But if not, if no one knows what those words say on that Word Wall, nor what language they are written in, then I'm keen to start looking into this further, and try to work out what that Word Wall actually says, other than the Dragon Language, which has already been translated. — Daric✐ 07:23, 23 April 2013 (GMT)
- I can't find anything in the CK that suggests a specific origin. About the only hint we get is that it's filed under "Custom", which suggests to me that this might be specific to Apocrypha. Logically speaking, that's definitely a stretch, though. It looks somewhat similar to the Magic Script Alphabet. It's definitely not a match, but that's about the closest I can find in any of the known languages. – Robin Hood (talk) 08:34, 23 April 2013 (GMT)
That's pretty much where I got to as well. It looks a bit like the Magic Script, but there don't seem to be exact matches to the letters. I created that sample above by importing bitmap screen-captures (from a video capture of the Word Wall in-game) into a font wrangling program, and then traced them manually, creating a Truetype font from them. Of course, at present I have no idea what each character represents, so the first one I came across became a capital A, and so on from there. Once I have captured every character shape, and recreated the original texts in order using the custom font, I can then start applying common linguistic and cryptographic tools, such as coincidence and frequency analysis. It will be interesting to see if I can crack this. — Daric✐ 09:17, 23 April 2013 (GMT)
I'm sorry you haven't enjoyed your experience editing on the UESP, and I apologize for contributing to your feeling of alienation. It sucks when you don't get your way on something you feel strongly about. I think every major contributor has been there and can commiserate (with the possible exception of Daveh). I imagine you're pretty frustrated at the moment, but I hope you'll reconsider helping us out in the future. Good luck on your fan fics. Minor EditsThreats•Evidence 01:05, 15 May 2013 (GMT)
- Thanks for that, Minor Edits. I won't go into any further detail about my feelings on this issue here, as I want to keep my talk page as a Happy Zone. I do appreciate the apology however. — Daric✐ 01:31, 15 May 2013 (GMT)
I really appreciated your interest in my fanfic. Check out my talk page for the address of the site. Thanks again for your eagerness to read it! --Sci Taar (talk) 19:17, 29 May 2013 (GMT)
- Hey Sci' Taar, no problem. I'll add your fan fic to my list of other people's TES fan fiction that I'm reading. I tend to comment in my own userspace about other people's fan fiction, because my comments are not "critique" as such, they are just my own notes about things that I personally like or don't like in existing TES fan fiction. My personal preferences don't mean much to others, and I don't inflict them on the authors, but the author's are welcome to read my comments. I do this for my own benefit, so that I can consolidate my own perspective as I go about writing my own TES fan fiction.
- Perhaps I could give you a couple of useful hints about using the wiki. I see on your talk page there seems to be some issue with indenting. If you follow the pattern below, it will help to keep your talk page neat and tidy....
||: Level one
: Level one
:: Level two
::: Level three
: Level one
- Level one
- Level one
- Level two
- Level three
- Level one
- For more general help with using wiki markup, have a look at our Quick Editing Guide. To avoid getting that box around text, such as the one around your signature in your Quotes section, don't put a space as the first character on a line. Also, have a look at our fan fiction section here on the wiki. You might like to consider publishing your fan-fic here too. I hope you find these tips useful. — Daric✐ 20:13, 29 May 2013 (GMT)
Hi Daric, could you please send me a quick email message? I tried to email you but it seems your preferences are set to not receive messages from other users. Thanks! ⇠eshetalk 00:11, 30 May 2013 (GMT)
- Email sent. Please do not disseminate my email address. Thanks. — Daric✐ 00:22, 30 May 2013 (GMT)
- You got it. Thanks :) ⇠eshetalk 00:26, 30 May 2013 (GMT)
- Hmm...nothing came through for some reason. I even tried sending a test email to myself and that didn't work either. Could you try bypassing the UESP email? Just send one directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks! ⇠eshetalk 13:16, 30 May 2013 (GMT)
- That's strange. I definitely received a Copy of your message to Eshe: UESPWiki e-mail from user "Daric Gaersmith" in my inbox, which was dated Thu, May 30, 2013 12:21 pm (that would probably be my local time, GMT+12). I'll send you something from my email client directly, avoiding the UESP mail. — Daric✐ 19:11, 30 May 2013 (GMT)
- New email sent. — Daric✐ 20:12, 30 May 2013 (GMT)
Long time no see (for me anyways, being gone for a few months)! Saw you on Nocte's page. What's new in your little world, Daric? IRC sometime? :) ES(talk•email) 07:50, 30 July 2013 (GMT)
- Hey there Snowmane, I saw you had returned. I've been lurking, not doing much on the UESP wiki (if you look hard enough, you'll see why). I'm currently gearing up for a major project on the Minecraft Wiki. Getting ready to identify the Edition-specific info. I've learned a lot from my time here at UESP, and I'll no doubt be copying some templates and ideas from here over to there, and to anywhere else I end up. Good to see you back again. You seem to have had major connection problems. Do you live in an area where the Internet is flakey? — Daric✐ 08:13, 30 July 2013 (GMT)
- Pfftt... "look[ing] hard enough" takes work... Surely you're aware of my perpetual laziness? I can write up a list of projects that a normal person could do, but takes me longer. Yeah, rural area and other things. Anyway, don't be a stranger, I enjoy butting heads with you over fanfictions and whatnot. We have this marvelous device known as the IRC, so you should poke around sometime. I'm here til Thursday... Well, for Kiwis it would be Friday in the early AM, I guess. :p ES(talk•email) 18:48, 30 July 2013 (GMT)
An anonymous user made an edit to the timeline on one of your pages. As it appears that you'd like it as close to possible as the lore page I left it alone. Silence is GoldenBreak the Silence 11:42, 11 June 2014 (GMT)
- Thanks for that, Silencer. I don't expect anyone to keep my copy of the history timeline updated, but I'm happy for anyone to do so, as long as, as you say, it is consistent with the official timeline. — Daric✐ 23:04, 11 June 2014 (GMT)