Valeric is a Nord vampire found near the settlement of Wittestadr. If you enter his manor prior to starting the quest, he'll be on the second floor and warn you about being there and the creatures outside. If you already started the quest, you'll first encounter him conversing with the argonian, Imhey.
- A Right to Live: Make a cure for vampirism for a young Argonian.
- The Better of Two Evils: Choose to aid either Valeric's coven or Majorn's bloodfiends.
If you speak to him before accepting the quest, while he's in his manor, he'll only say:
- "You've stumbled into the wrong place, stranger."
- "It's not safe here. I'd recommend leaving as soon as you can. And be careful outside."
After starting the quest, as you approach Imhey's location, you'll hear the following exchange:
- Imhey: "Stay away from me, you monster!"
- Valeric: "Damn it, woman! You need to come with me now! The sun hurts me more than you know. We need to get inside!"
Speaking to him directly, he'll say:
- "Scales here is about to have a really bad day if she doesn't come with me right now."
- "That bite … it's spreading faster than she realizes."
- What do you mean, spreading?
- "These creatures are the twisted offspring of a vampire and their bite is just as dangerous."
- "Once bitten, the curse seeps into your body. It gets into your blood until the fever takes you. Then the craving comes over you—the craving for blood."
- Can the curse be cured?
- "There may be a way. I need to get her back to my manor, though. If she stays out here too long, the sun will find her. Then she'll experience a pain like she has never felt before."
- "Right now, she just needs to shut up and listen to me."
- Why is she so afraid of you?
- "I'm just like the creatures that attacked her, except my mind is my own and I'm a little more sensitive to sunlight."
- "Now before you do something we'll both regret, hear me out. If I'm going to save Scales, I'm going to need your help."
- I'm listening.
- "I need bloodfiend dust. You can get it from the creatures that bit her. Then maybe we can reverse the effects and save Scales here."
- "I'll keep her safe in the meantime. If you can get that dust, bring it to my manor."
At this point, he'll turn to Imhey again:
- Valeric: "Time to go, Scales. We need to make sure you don't turn into one of these creatures."
- Imhey: "What are you doing? No! Don't let him take me!"
Back at his manor, he'll try to ease your concerns about Imhey's treatment:
- "Scales tried to escape, so we locked her up. Nothing to worry about. Just want to make sure everyone stays safe."
- "It won't be long before she gets that crazed look in her eyes, though."
- Do you really need to lock her up?
- "You saw those things out there. They're mindless monsters—as ugly as they are evil and only interested in killing and feasting."
- "Do you really want Scales out there attacking people? No? That's why I put her in a cage."
- Will the dust cure her?
- "There's a chance, but it's just that. A chance."
- "There's no guarantee she'll survive the process. I've seen it kill as often as it cures. It's a risk, but the alternative is far, far worse."
- [Intimidate] If you're lying to me, I'll hunt you and your clan down.
- "I swear by the blood of my clan and my clanmates, I only want to help her. She's safe here. I'll protect her for as long as she remains with us. And if the cure fails, I'll teach her to control her urges."
- No. She seems fine. I can't risk her life.
- "Very well. If it guarantees your assistance, I'll set her free. But what happens after that is on your head."
- You'll let her go? Just like that?
- "You don't trust me. I understand that and I don't blame you. A vampire helping strangers at an isolated manor house. What's not suspicious about that?"
- "Like I said, I need your help. And you may not know it yet, but you need mine."
- All right. Try to cure her.
- "You made the right decision. I promise I'll do everything in my power to help her. We'll watch over her. If she doesn't improve, we'll make sure she doesn't succumb to the bloodlust."
- Don't make me regret my decision.
- "Believe me, you won't regret this. Poor Scales burns with the blood fever. She'll be trying to eat every face she sees soon enough. Who would wish that fate upon her? Well, I suppose my father would, but you'll learn more about him shortly."