|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Online Quest Project.
The page is being both written and checked. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
- Talk to the guard in the cave.
- Talk to Arienne Kerbol in the village.
- Find Draven Leonciele.
- Investigate the village.
- Talk to Renoit Leonciele.
- Head to the initiation ritual.
- Find Draven.
- Return to Renoit.
- Choose who to help.
- Go to the hillside cave.
- Meet Renoit below the altar.
To start the quest, you can talk to Renoit Leonciele who is waiting in the camp outside Kerbol's Hollow for word of his husband.
- "It's the waiting that's the worst. If Kerbol has some magical cure, why doesn't she just give it to my husband? To all of these poor souls!
Are you also waiting to see Kerbol?
- Not me. Who's Kerbol?
- "She's the village's mayor. They say Kerbol can cure any disease, but once cured, you can never leave the village.
I'm not sick, but my husband Draven is. And if we have to live in a hovel for the rest of our lives to save him, that's fine by me."
- Where is this village?
- "That's another strange thing. It's hidden, through the cave up the hill.
Kerbol will send for me eventually, but I'm worried. It's forever without him. Could you take a look and make sure Draven's all right? I have some gold. I can pay you."
- I'll take a look around.
- "You need to talk to the guard by the entrance by the cave entrance before you go. They don't take kindly to unexpected visitors.
Draven's my husband—tall, handsome fellow. Tell him I'm still waiting."
Finding Draven Leonciele
To enter the settlement, you will first need to speak with the guard, Marcellyne Cine. It won't be hard to convince her but she will warn you that the woods surrounding the village are not safe.
- "Stop. I must alert the mayor to all new arrivals."
- I'd like to talk to Kerbol.
- "Many would. I can't allow everyone into the village, or we'd be overrun by disease. Some say the village can cure everything, but that's definitely not true. We're very selective.
You seem healthy enough, though. What's your business?"
- I want to ask Kerbol about Draven Leonciele, one of her patients.
- "His case came up today, so your timing is excellent. I'll signal ahead that you're coming in.
We ask that you don't stray from the town once you pass the cave. The woods beyond the village aren't safe."
Once you have entered the village, you can witness the village leader—Arienne Kerbol telling the crowd about the soon-to-be new member of the village.
- Arienne Kerbol: "Rejoice! Soon we will have a new member of our family - Draven!"
- Arienne Kerbol: "Patience, friends. I will speak to each of you individually."
- <She notices you.>
- Arienne Kerbol: "I don't recognize you. Come, let us speak."
At this, you can introduce yourself to Arienne and ask about Draven.
- "Welcome to our humble village. Not many find us by accident, yet … I smell no illness upon you.
May I ask what brings you here, if not the cure?"
- I'm looking for a man named Draven.
- "Ah, Renoit sent you then! He need not wait outside any longer—Draven will soon be inducted into the village. I'll see to it the guard lets him know.
Is that all you seek, then?"
- Inducted into the village? What do you mean by that?
- "I apologize, but you are an outsider. It's impossible for you to fully understand, but … suffice to say that those who are cured must stay in the village. It is for our protection, and theirs.
Draven is in the guest house, if you wish to see him."
The Guest House is nearby and Draven will be inside, eating a meal. You can ask how he is and tell him that Renoit is worried about him.
- "Forgive me for not getting up. It's been a long day, and I'm ravenous.
Is there something you need? Are you new too?"
- Renoit sent me to make sure you were all right.
- "He's such a silly one! Of course I am, now that Kerbol's agreed to cure me!
He can come to the village now the first week's over. Is he still suspicious of these fine folks in the village, I wonder?"
- What exactly is Kerbol curing?
- "Ah, I'm afraid I can't talk about it. The village prides itself on privacy.
I apologize if Renoit inconvenienced you in your travels, but as you can see, everything's fine."
After speaking with Draven, Renoit will run in and Draven will assure him.
- Draven Leonciele: "Come and sit, dear. Everything will be all right."
Investigating the Village
Despite the comforting words from Draven, Renoit will be suspicious of the cure being offered, as everyone is evasive about the matter.
- "I don't trust anyone in this town. Why won't they tell me exactly what the cure is? Why can't we leave town afterwards?
And if they have a remedy, why can't they tell me what's wrong with Draven?"
- Draven seems to be content with this.
- "Draven's desperate for a cure! He'll believe anything. Anyone. I know you're got your own business, but I could use someone on my side.
If you could have a look around, or maybe ask people about this place … I don't know. I'm at a loss."
- I'll see if I can figure out what the cure actually is.
- "Thank you. I'll talk to Kerbol directly and see if she'll tell me anything. So far, she's kept all the details to herself, and you can see what Draven's like.
When you have something concrete, let me know. It'd do a lot to ease my mind."
When you leave the Guest House, you will have to investigate the village for anything unusual. Some of these clues can be found around the village, such as the large amounts of meat near Androche Lanie and evidence of claw marks near the merchant's area. You can also find a set of hooded robes.[verification needed — been awhile, may be missing other clues]
You can also speak with the villagers, while some of them will refuse to say anything against Kerbol's wishes, others will point you in the right direction—such ans
- "Kerbol doesn't like us talking to outsiders. Too much at stake, she says.
It's a bit silly, I know. But after all she's done for us, how can I refuse her?"
- Something's going on in this village. Tell me what it is.
- "I promised to say nothing. Does an oath mean anything to you?
If you won't be dissuaded, talk to Helene. She's in the lower rooms of the house across the way. Her bond is incomplete, unlike mine."
The house she speaks of is Kerbol's Home and Helene Danise can be found downstairs in a cage. When you speak with her, it is clear that there is something wrong.
- "It hurts ... it hurts! Go ... away!"
- What's wrong with you?
- "The change! The change is coming, and I can't stop it! Kerbol promised me that she could help, but only after I calm down.
Please, go! I can smell your blood. It's … it's driving me crazy!"
- Blood? What change are you talking about?
- "I'm a werewolf! Gods, I said it! A terrible beast. I can't control myself!
But Kerbol promised she'd save me, like she … saved everyone else!"
With the implication that most people in the village are werewolves and Kerbol is "saving" them, you can return to Renoit with the news. He will be standing outside the Guest House but things have been happening while you were gone.
Renoit will tell you that Draven was taken away by Kerbol and some other villagers to the "Ritual Site" to complete Draven's initiation into the village. is dialogue missing?
- "That's not right. Something strange is going on in this town! You've seen it, haven't you?
They just took Draven away for their "initiation." It's like some kind of cult!"
- Where did they take him?
- "There's a winding path just past the village. Kerbol and a handful of others took him up that way.
They said they didn't have a spare robe for me, or some such nonsense."
- I found some robes earlier while I was investigating the village.
- "Enough for both of us? No? Then you use them as a disguise. Kerbol's too familiar with my face by now, and she'll recognize me whatever I wear.
They're binding him to the village forever. I don't understand yet. Make them stop before it's too late."
- I'd better head up there now.
- "Keep out of sight. They wouldn't even allow me to watch so I doubt you'd be welcome there without your robes.
If you hurry, you can make it before they arrive. Make sure they don't hurt Draven!"
Following the dirt path heading eastward, will lead you to a clearing where hooded figures will be arranged in a circle around Draven and Arienne. As you approach you will be prompted to put on the Robes as a disguise. While this happens, you will also overhear Ariennne speaking to Draven:
- Arienne Kerbol: "There's no turning back now, Draven. You are a part of this village now."
- Arienne Kerbol: "Don't be alarmed. Soon the pain will subside."
- <The ritual starts, blue-green light covers Draven has he begins to float.>
- Draven Leonciele: "No … stop! You're in my head!"
- <Arienne then notices you.>
- Arienne Kerbol: "Don't interrupt the ritual!"
At this point you have to disrupt the ritual, only to have Draven turn into a werewolf and run off.
- Arienne Kerbol: "No! I've lost control!"
- Arienne Kerbol: "Draven! Come back!"
You will have to speak with Arienne, who is understandably furious.
- "You! You've endangered us all with your meddling!
Well? What have you got to say for yourself?"
- Draven's not sick. He's a werewolf, like Helene.
- "Yes. We all are, in fact. That's why he came to us. I can suppress the lycanthropic tendencies of the disease.
The ritual you interrupted was to seal Draven's form. To protect him as well as the village. But now he's turned and we're all in danger."
- What happens now?
- "We must find him. The ritual might still work if we catch him in time to complete the binding.
If not, then we must save the town, above all else."
- What can I do?
- "Go after him! I must tell everyone what's happened. Everyone who's left, that is.
If he can't be subdued and forced to complete the ritual, he'll have to be killed. And that's on your head, not mine!"
Draven as a werewolf can be found further up the slopes [verification needed — see] and must be attacked until he surrenders. You can then return to Renoit, who is in the town square and explain what has happened.
- "What's happened? Some of the people in town are acting strangely."
- The ritual failed. Draven's turn into a werewolf.
- "What? That was his disease all along? Why didn't he tell me?
We have to go after him! He's probably frightened out of his mind! What was Kerbol thinking?"
- Kerbol was trying to seal his form. I had to subdue him.
- "Kerbol has a lot of explaining to do! Sealing his form? What does that even mean?
Gods, I pray Draven's all right!"
After speaking with Renoit, Arienne will come out of the Town Hall to address the worried citizens.
- Arienne Kerbol: "Everyone, stay calm!"
- Arienne Kerbol: "We will soon have this back in hand. Keep faith, my friends."
- Arienne Kerbol: "Renoit, bring Draven to the town hall. Stranger, come with me."
Learning the Truth and a Choice
Once inside the Town Hall, Arienne will explain the spell that has been subduing the villagers' werewolf forms is becoming undone and insists that Draven completes the ritual. She believes Draven would reject her but that you have chance to convince him.
- "Some of the townsfolk have already turned back into their werewolf form. The spell is breaking faster than I thought.
Draven must complete the ritual."
- Can he, even now?
- "Yes. He's not the first to fail, but it's very rare. Those who don't complete the ritual usually die immediately, by their own hand or someone else's.
Nevertheless, it's better than the alternative."
- Maybe you should convince him to continue it.
- "He may not see me as an ally, thanks to your interference. He may only remember how much pain I caused."
- I subdued him on the hillside ….
- "This is your fault, so you must fix it. The others from the ritual site will bring him in. Let's hope he doesn't remember your fight.
Talk to Draven, but take what he says with a grain of salt."
With a dazed Draven also in the Town Hall, you have the opportunity to ask Draven about his experiences with the ritual. His answers only make things more complicated:
- "Where am I? It was like I fell asleep, but then there was this terrible pain ….
I remember you. You're the one who helped my husband. Oh, Renoit! Are you all right? Did I hurt you?"
- Kerbol might still be able to finish your initiation.
- "I see the truth. Power calls me. No one can stop me. Kill! Eat! There is no fear, only hunger.
No! I'm not a beast! I can control myself …. Renoit! Renoit, don't leave me!"
- Let Kerbol finish the ritual.
- "No! Don't let her! I don't want this anymore. I've seen what she does to the people in this village. She takes their minds. Puts them under her control!
Being a werewolf is a curse, but I can't give up who I am!"
- How do you know this?
- "I felt it. She was in my head during the ritual, cutting away something inside, something important. I couldn't move!
To think she did that to all those people! That's no cure!"
At this point, you will have a choice which effects the rest of the quest. You can either side with Draven and break the spell's—and Arienne's hold over him, or you can side with the village and maintain the spell.
- "Thank you. Poor Renoit. I'm so sorry, my love. You can leave me if it's too much to bear.
Just don't trust Kerbol, no matter what she says!"
- "I understand. You've seen what I could do if you let me go free.
Still, I won't give up. Kerbol only offers servitude here. I'll find a better way to live!"
Breaking the Spell
If you decided to side with Draven, you can follow an upset Renoit outside to explain the situation and to ask him if he knows anything which could help break the spell.
- "What will happen to Draven now? I don't understand any of this."
- Everyone in this town is a werewolf, including Kerbol.
- "Her too? That explains it. Kerbol has a spell over this entire town. These people are all mindless drones!
If wer're to save Draven, we must break this spell for good. I think I know what to do."
- "The gate on this side of town leads to a cave entrance. It was guarded the last time I saw it, but with have the town gone, maybe we can get through.
Kerbol doesn't want anyone up there. We've got to destroy whatever she's hiding on the hill."
- "Don't let her cast a spell over you. She's clouded everyone's judgement in this town. If you talk to her, she'll convince you to kill Draven.
Don't let her kill my husband."
It should be noted that after siding with Draven and Renoit, you still have the option of reversing your choice by simply going to talk with Arienne. Nonetheless, after hearing Renoit's plan, he will become your follower and you will need to lead him up the slopes, to the cave containing the Spell Focus. While escorting him, be aware that there may be hostile werewolves around.
When you reach the Spell Focus, Renoit will notice it:
- Renoit Leonciele: "What is this?"
- <Runs up to the focus.>
- Renoit Leonciele: "This has got to be the source of the spell. Let's destroy it!"
At this point of the quest, this is the last place you can change your choice. Once the Spell Focus is destroyed you will have to deal with the inadvertent consequences.
- Renoit Leonciele: "Quiet … I think I hear something."
Ariennne will have taken Draven to the Shrine in a last ditch attempt at either completing the binding or killing him to fix the problem. With the Spell focus destroyed, both will now be werewolves and you will need to protect Draven from her.
Once Kerbol is dead, you will have to locate Draven and Renoit, they can be found on the path below the shrine.
- Renoit Leonciele: "Draven, wait!"
- <He catches up to the werewolf.>
- Renoit Leonciele: "We can't go through the town. Not after what's happened."
Renoit will sit on a nearby rock and Draven will settle beside him. You can then speak with Renoit.
- "I'm glad we put a stop to this madness. And look! Draven knows me. He knows both of us. That gives me hope."
- What will you two do now?
- "Draven needs to learn how to control his … power. I don't know where we'll go while he does. Somewhere far away from anyone else, where no one will question us.
If this is the life we must lead together, I'll gladly run with him."
The quest will end and you can leave the couple to ponder their future. Renoit has more dialogue.
- "There's a lot I don't understand about what happened, but at least Draven and I are together, the way we belong."
- Do you have any idea how Draven became sick in the first place?
- "No, and now that I know what it is, it doesn't matter. I've known him all my life. This is the first time he's ever kept anything secret from me."
- It was a pretty big secret.
- "We'll need to work on talking over our troubles with each other, instead of hiding our problems. Our lives will be different, but I'm sure other couples have issues too."
Saving the Village
If you decide to help Arienne Kerbol and the village, you will need to speak with her.
- "The poor fool. He has already joined us in blood, if not in spirit. I guess there's nothing left to do, if his wish is to leave the ritual unfinished. He must be put down."
- You mean killed?
- "The spell which holds back the lycanthropy is weakening because of him. Unless he either finishes the rite or dies, we're all doomed to follow him. I can't let people of this village suffer for the whims of one man."
- Why not kill himself now?
- "The townsfolk ... they don't know the cost of their freedom. No, it's better to do it away from the town. Draven will revert to his werewolf form soon. We must lure him out of town. Renoit will be our bait. I pity the man, but it's our only recourse."
- Then I'll get Renoit.
- "I'm glad you understand our predicament. Don't hurt Renoit - he's already gone through so much already. Take him past the cave up the hill. With luck, Draven won't be far behind, and we can end this nightmare."
Now you have to talk with Draven to convince him to follow you. At this point you have a chance to redecide and help Renoit and Draven instead.
- "We must hurry, before Kerbol does anything more to hurt my husband!"
- "Is he all right? That Kerbol didn't kurt him, did she?"
- Don't worry. I'll take you to him. [Lie]
- "All right, I'll stop my questions. Lead on, friend."
- Not exactly, but the ritual she started needs to end.
- Don't worry. I'll take you to him. [Lie]
- "What did he say to you?"
- He told me to tell you everyone in this village is a werewolf, even Kerbol. (Go back to #Breaking the Spell)
Go to the indicated cave and through it to find Draven in werewolf form and Arienne telling you to kill him. After you do so, Renoit will be upset and run away. Talk to Arienne.
- "Such a waste. I'd hoped Draven would listen to reason before it came to this."
- Was there really no other way?
- "If he'd remained alive, the spell over the whole town would have broken, leaving us all as he was - a mindless, slavering beast. I would not wish that fate on anyone."
- And the spell remains intact?
- "Yes. His death severed his connection with the town. I do hope Renoit makes it safely away, thought I doubt anyone would believe his wild tales if he chose to speak about us. Another legend to hand down, I suppose."
The quest ends here. You can continue the dialogue:
- "Though you've certainly gone out of your way to help us, I ask that you keep your stay here brief. The townsfolk need time to recover from this ordeal."
- How often do people come here for help?
- "More often than you'd imagine. We heal those we can of other ailments, but of course, out main purpose is to bind those with lycanthropy to their normal form."
- You've found an unusual cure for it.
- "True. Some might say it's another curse rather than an actual cure. They might be right, but we live as peacefully as we can. We don't look for trouble. And we grieve whenever it finds us."
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|While he awaits permission to enter the village, Renoit Leonciele said the guard by the town's entrance could allow me in to speak with its mayor.
Objective: Talk to the Guard at the Cave
|I've got permission to enter the town. I should see what's so special about this place by speaking to its mayor, Arienne Kerbol.
Objective: Find Arienne Kerbol
|There's a crowd in the village center, and the mayor is part of it. I should ask her about Renoit's husband, Draven.
Objective: Talk to Arienne Kerbol
|Kerbol assured me that Draven was well taken care of. I should see for myself - he's staying in a guest cottage nearby.
Objective: Find Draven Leonciele
|I've found Draven in the town's guest house. I should speak to him about what's going on in this place.
Objective: Talk to Draven Leonciele
|Renoit's entered the guest house, demanding answers about the cure. I'll find out what more he needs, since Draven appears content enough.
Objective: Talk to Renoit Leonciele
|Though Draven seems all right, Renoit is convinced the town holds a secret. I should do some investigating of my own to see if he's right.
Objective: Investigate Kerbol's Hollow
Objective Hint: Search the Town for Clues
(Appears after you have found clues.)
Objective Hint: Confront a Villager
(Appears after speaking with a villager.)
Objective Hint: Find Helene
|The villagers have a secret all right, and at least part of it involves lycanthropy. No one could give me a straight answer. I should let Renoit know his concerns are real.
Objective: Renoit Leonciele
|Kerbol's prepared the initiation ritual for Draven to join him forever with the village. I need to get to the ritual site and see what exactly is going to happen, and put a stop to it.
Objective: Rescue Draven Leonciele from Arienne Kerbol's Ritual
Objective Hint: Find the Ritual Site
(Appears after finding Ritual Site.)
Objective Hint: Use the Disguise at the Ritual Site
(Appears once the robes are worn.)
Objective Hint: Wait for the Ritual to Begin
Objective Hint: Stop the Ritual
|I stopped the ritual, though there was an unexpected twist - Draven
into a werewolf. I should ask Kerbol what's going on.
Objective: Talk to Arienne Kerbol
|Kerbol asked me to help find Draven as it might still be possible to complete his initiation. Left incomplete, he will go mad and perhaps affect the other villagers. When I find him, I need to subdue him.
Objective: Subdue Draven Leonciele
|Kerbol's admitted the villagers' disease is lycanthropy. Disrupting Draven's ritual upset their control, which could turn all villagers into beasts. I need to tell Renoit what happened.
Objective: Talk to Renoit Leonciele
|Kerbol said to meet her in the town square whether or not I've encountered Draven on the hillside.
Objective: Meet Kerbol at the Town Square
|After directing Renoit to bring Draven to the town hall, Kerbol asked me to join her there. I'm not sure what will happen now, to either Draven or the village.
Objective: Talk to Kerbol in the Town Hall
|I must speak to Draven, even though he's obviously weakened from our fight. He needs to know what went wrong, and how we can save him.
Objective: Question Draven Leonciele about the Ritual
|(From this point there is a choice to help Draven or to help Arienne)|
|(Appears if you decided to side with Draven)
I've promised to find a way to help Draven escape from the village and Kerbol's spell. I should talk to Renoit to see if he has any ideas.
Objective: Talk to Renoit
|Renoit told me about an area above the town which Kerbol's protected from outsiders. Something there might contain her spell over the village. If I destroy it, we might be able to rescue Draven.
Objective: Find the focus for Kerbol's Spell
Optional Step: Talk to Kerbol to help her instead
|Kerbol has a secret passage to a much higher altar, overlooking the whole town. I should find out what she does here.
Objective: Find the Source of Kerbol's Spell
Objective: Destroy the focus for Kerbol's Spell
|Kerbol's spell enslaved the villagers, and threatens to change Draven into his werewolf form forever. In order to break her spell, I must rescue Draven from Kerbol herself.
Objective: Rescue Draven from Arienne Kerbol
|Now that Kerbol is dead, I need to find where Renoit and Draven have gone.
Objective: Meet Renoit and Draven Below the Shrine
|I should talk to Renoit and see what he and Draven will do, now that Kerbol can no longer heal Draven.
Objective: Talk to Renoit
|(Following Stages appear if you decided to side with Kerbol.)
Draven's incomplete link to the village puts everyone at risk. Kerbol wants me to lure him to the shrine at the top of the hill as the only way to sever his connection with the town is to kill him.
Objective: Lead Renoit to the Upper Shrine
|Now that Draven is within reach, I must kill him before he hurts anyone in his werewolf form.
Objective: Kill Draven
|The deed is done. I should talk to Kerbol and find out what this means for the town.
Objective: Talk to Arienne Kerbol
|According to Kerbol, Draven's death was unfortunate, but necessary, to save the town and its people.
Objective: Talk to Arienne Kerbol