If you climb around the mountain and work your way into the back of High Hrothgar you can get in before being summond. Arengeir doesn't seem to spawn however until after you have been summoned offically by the grey beards. — Unsigned comment by 220.127.116.11 (talk) at 07:02 on 13 December 2011 (GMT)
- Visited High Hrothgar prior to starting the main quest and found Arngeir inside. 18.104.22.168 21:31, 20 December 2011 (UTC).
Arngeir can't locate any words of power for me?
Arngeir doesn't seem to be able to locate any words. He says 'There is only silence now. Perhaps later we will hear one of the lost words.'. First it all worked great, but now I've completed the storyline and it doesn't anymore. I still need like 5 words, and I can't find them anywhere. Any help would be very appreciated... RobertoO 19:02, 29 December 2011 (UTC)
- Which ones are you missing? There are some words which are bound to specific quests and you cannot learn them unless you start the quests. One of such words is from the Thieves Guild quest, another is from Dark Brotherhood's, third is from the College of Winterhold questline. And I am assuming you did not kill Paarthurnax, since Arngeir still talks to you... -- Shuryard 16:16, 6 February 2012 (UTC)
- I have the same problem after I finished the main storyline. So, I'm guessing it's related to that. I'm missing the third words of Ice Form and Storm Call (I did get the word from each that is quest-locked though, so it's not that). --VSim 01:04, 29 February 2012 (UTC)
- Have you gotten the words from all of the locations listed here? There's 31 locations there. With 20 shouts, that gives you 60 words to learn, but four words are learned through the main quest, leaving 56 words... so, 56 - 31 = 25 words that are not possible to find via the quest, unless not all locations are noted on that page or there's more than one word at some locations. -Velyanthe 01:10, 29 February 2012 (UTC)
- 17 words are being learned through the main quest; one shout is fully written on the wall, all 3 words. So it is necessary to visit 60-17-2 = 41 wall. 41-31 = 10, so only 10 word walls are impossible to find via quest. Six of them are located in: Snow Veil Sanctum, Dustman's Cairn, Saarthal, DB Sanctuary, Labyrinthian and Korvanjund. — Unsigned comment by 22.214.171.124 (talk) at 14:21 on 2 March 2012 (GMT)
- Hmm, I had thought all non-questline words would be found this way, but I see that Frostmere Crypt isn't on that list (for one of the Ice Form words). Nonetheless, I also haven't been to Forelhost, which is on that list. And, I just went back to an old save and found that after I finished the last word they gave me, I still got the "There is only silence now" message even before I finished the main quest (I waited a few days to see if that was it, but no). Maybe there's a max number of words they'll find for you? --VSim 01:33, 29 February 2012 (UTC)
- The aptly named Greybeard's Robes(00036A44) and Greybeard's Hood(00036A45). Unfortunately, they are not available in game, nor are they listed as "Playable" - so, without mods - they can only be equipped via the console.Digital Utopia (talk) 04:14, 6 February 2014 (GMT)
The article says it is because he is strong enough to control it, but only dova can control it. According to what he says in the game, He speaks because the others are too strong; Arngeir is the weakest. — Unsigned comment by 126.96.36.199 (talk) at 05:29 on 30 January 2012 (GMT)
- No, it's Ulfric himself says that Arngeir is the eldest and the most powerful. Taking into account that Ulfric had trained with the Greybeards for long time, he should be right. Arngeir also says that they had to train a lot to properly use Thu'um, so that could mean the others Greybeards haven't been able to fully master it to use it as they want. I do recall Arngeir said the others are too powerful that they can kill the Dovahkin with a whisper, but i take it no more than he is trying to be modest, as he aways is. Also, everything you want, you talk to Arngeir and he does not need to ask the others whether they agree or not, so i think Arngeir is the second leader. One more thing, the designers also seem to hint he is the strongest as he is the only Greybeard with level 150, the others are 100.117.5.241.181 15:13, 6 February 2012 (UTC)
- There could be a difference between power and experience; he may the eldest and most experienced, with the training and knowledge necessary to speak normally, but the others may have more natural talent for using the Thu'um. Kind of like the phrase "you don't know your own strength", some people may project the Thu'um more forcefully without necessarily meaning to. Besides which, power could simply refer to knowledge; while the other masters may be able to do an especially strong Unrelenting Force, Arngeir may have more words of power at his disposal with which to fight with, should the need arise. In any event, I think it would probably be best to remove the reference to him being the strongest, and instead mention his and Ulfric's conflicting descriptions and what it could mean (may be modesty, may be more knowledgeable or capable rather than his use of the Thu'um being more powerful in the normal sense). Haravikk (talk) 18:11, 11 November 2012 (GMT)
- He says that the Voices of the others are too powerful for the dragonborn. It is safe to suppose that his Voice is the weakest, isn't it? Surely the reference to his power is ambiguous.--Damx (talk) 19:24, 16 May 2013 (GMT)
I'm guessing it's similar to when The Incredible Hulk used to go into a beserker rage... New "Smart Hulk" is every bit as powerful, but part of the power is in control. Arngeir very well could be the weakest, but only because he holds himself back. That's the point. I suppose the argument could be made the other way, and every single student besides Ulfric has surpassed the master, but that seems unlikely. Power first, then control. I'm also fairly certain that this string began with a false proposition. The Greybeards are "Masters of the way of the Voice", and being out of control is not mastery. Ebonarm (talk) 09:15, 8 May 2014 (GMT)
There's no dialogue option to locate Words of Power
I've completed The Horn of Jurgen Windcaller and exhausted every dialogue option Arngeir has, yet he still does not have the dialogue option asking him if he has located any words of power. This has happened with my last three save files(different characters). What am I suppose to do? — Unsigned comment by 188.8.131.52 (talk) at 00:00 on 29 March 2013 (GMT)
- Use google and forums, the discussion page is not the place for this. Regarding your issue it has been covered many times now. - Killerchronic (talk) 00:27, 7 May 2013 (GMT)
Noteworthy event or trivia?
After completing Alduin's Bane, I went to talk to Arngeir and found him kneeling near the edge of the cliff in the High Hrothgar Courtyard, practicing Unrelenting Force towards the edge. Just for fun, I decided to see if I could get him to shout me over the edge of the cliff. I discovered that if I stood in his line of fire he wouldn't shout, and would eventually get up and walk away. However, if I stood off to the side and waited for him to begin the shout, then stepped into the path of it, I was flung off the edge and fell to my death. Is this noteworthy, if nothing else due to there being no mention of him practicing this shout in the article? --Xyzzy Talk 03:45, 7 July 2018 (UTC)
- It isn't "notable" in the sense of special mention, but it is likely a "random" part of his schedule. His written schedule doesn't match his packages, and they are patrol schedules, meaning he will find activators and use them, particularly the clear skies, whirlwind sprint, and mediation points around the yard. Silence is GoldenBreak the Silence 16:14, 7 July 2018 (UTC)