Online:To The Clockwork City
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Online Quest Project.
The page is being both written and checked. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
- (optional) Talk to Eldrasea Deras or Lilatha at the Clockwork Crossroads Wayshrine in the Clockwork City, the City Center in Mournhold, the Treasury in Wayrest, or the Treasury of the Tree in Elden Root.
- Seek out Divayth Fyr at the Tribunal Temple in Mournhold.
- Meet Divayth Fyr at the waterfall north of Mournhold.
- Find the entrance to Clockwork City.
- Chase the shadowy assailant through the Escapement.
- Defeat the shadow.
- Reach the Brass Fortress.
- Talk to Proctor Luciana Pullo.
- Talk to Divayth Fyr.
|This page or section is incomplete. You can help by adding to it.
This is currently just a dialogue dump. Needs an actual walkthrough.
For more information, see the help files, the style guide, and this article's .
While meandering in Mournhold's City Center by the merchants or loitering near the Clockwork Crossroads Wayshrine, you may encounter a Dunmer mage by the name of Eldrasea Deras. Speak with her and she'll introduce herself as a servant of Divayth Fyr, one of the oldest sorcerers in all of Tamriel. Divayth Fyr is looking for someone to accompany him on a quest to find a powerful Daedric Artifact, and Deras has been tasked with finding and receiving the Vestige as his partner. Alternatively, if you have completed the Of Knives and Long Shadows prologue quest, Lilatha will appear in a projection to contact you.
- "Honor to you and your house, sera. My lord, Divayth Fyr, would speak with you at once."
- What does Divayth Fyr want with me?
- "Your aid, in exchange for a sizable stipend. Divayth Fyr seeks a powerful artifact and requires a companion. He insists you are the only candidate worth considering. For now.
- Go to the Tribunal Temple in Mournhold. Lord Fyr waits for you there."
- Do I have a choice?
- "Of course. But if you do not come, he will find another. And you will be left behind - forever saddled with a coward's regret. Hardly a choice, by my estimation.
- Service to Divayth Fyr is a great honor, sera. Think hard before refusing."
- I'll consider Divayth Fyr's offer.
After speaking with her (and asking her a few questions about Divayth Fyr, if you feel so inclined) and accepting the quest, make your way over to the Tribunal Temple in Mournhold and head inside.
The Tribunal Temple
Divayth: "Ah, you've arrived at last. Come forward, we have much to discuss." (inside the Tribunal Temple)
- "You've arrived. I am Divayth Fyr, wizard-lord of Tel Fyr. I trust no further introduction is necessary?
- I seek a Daedric artifact. It lies hidden in a brass city filled with danger, curiosity, and contradictions. You will accompany me, if you wish."
- What exactly would I be signing up for?
- "A voyage that only a few have ever undertaken. We will travel to Sotha Sil's peculiar experiement - the Clockwork City. I have inquiries to make. You will assist me."
- You know how to reach the Clockwork City?
- "I do. The Tribunes are not so clever that they could hide such a place from me for long. The city is quite close... and also very far away. Just the first of Sotha Sil's many paradoxes. If you choose to join me, be prepared for many more."
- Why ask me to help?
- "The future holds is secrets close, but I have scryed glimpses. Your spirit strides alongside those of anointed kings and heroes. Trust me - you walk the path to power.
- Don't believe me? Good. A healthy dose of skepticism will serve you well."
If you completed the Halls of Fabrication, Divayth will instead refer to this achievement, pointing out:
- "I have not forgotten our romp through the Halls of Fabrication.
- You proved your resourcefulness when facing the Assembly General. Now, you will prove your usefulness again, and receive an appropriate reward."
If you have completed the Morrowind main quest but not the Halls of Fabrication, Divayth Fyr will instead say:
- "You saved the life of a living god. Yes, I know all about your service to Vivec, and your conflict with Clavicus Vile.
- Foiling the plans of a Daedric Prince is no mean feat. I can think of no better companion for my journey to the Clockwork City."
Regardless, you agree to help him out:
- All right. I'll work with you.
- "Of course you will. Naturally, you have questions. Alas, they will have to wait. Servants of the Tribunal do not look kindly on blasphemous journeys like this one.
- Meet me at the waterfall north of the city. We can discuss the details there."
Heading out of the temple, Divayth reminds you, "Prepare if you must, but make it quick. Time is not on our side."
Head over to the waterfall Divayth Fyr mentioned and speak with him. It's north of Mournhold, right behind the Temple, actually.
Once you've reached the waterfall, Divayth beckons you over, "There you are. Come! Here, behind the waterfall!" Walk through the waterfall, and you'll find yourself in a crevice with a door.
- "My companion arrives at last. Now then, our journey begins in this dreary little cave. Quite a surprise, yes? Believe me, it won't be the last.
- We can speak freely here, but do make it brief. All this natural splendor is just...tedious."
- You mentioned Sotha Sil. Who is he?
- "The Father of Myseteries, the Clockwork God, the Tinkerer, and other such banal titles.
- Sotha Sil, or Seht, is a member of the Dark Elf Tribunal. He reigns over Morrowind as the god of craft and sorcery- the wisest and most reclusive of the Three."
- Do you know him well?
- "Ha! No one truly knows Sotha Sil - not even his hordes of wild-eyed worshipers.
- I studied with him before his ascent, and even then he defied comprehension. His only true peer was Indoril Nerevar. Such a shame what happened to him."
- Indoril Nerevar?
- "Indeed. Saint Nerevar the Captain. Our king and greatest champion for a time.
- He died, tragically, during a journey to the heart of Red Mountain. It was all very sudden. Some believe his retainer, Dagoth Ur, struck the mortal blow. Others ..."
- What do the others think?
- "Some believe that Sotha Sil, Vivec, and Almalexia murdered Nerevar so they could take divine power for themselves.
- Who's to say what really happened? In any event, Sotha Sil emerged from the mountain even more inscrutable than before."
- What do you think happened?
- "I think it's irrelevant.
- The silence of Sotha Sil may come from a place of grief and deep regret. It might be a side-effect of his fierce obsessions. Perhaps both? How he became a god is no concern of mine. I respect his knowledge, nothing more."
- Why did Sotha Sil hide the Clockwork City here?
- "Sotha Sil hides everything. But more to your point, it's not just a city. It's an incomprehensibly powerful world-shaping device. Can't leave that sort of thing lying about, can you?
- Also, Almalexia worries about how it reflects on her divinity."
- "Yes. Sil's fellow tribune.
- A machine can be studied and perhaps understood in time. She fears that by reducing their divinity to a machine, Sotha Sil lessens the mystique of their godhood. To his great credit, Sil largely ignores these concerns."
- What do you hope to find in the Clockwork City?
- "A Daedric artifact. I take a keen interest in all such objects, but this one seems especially significant. You see, nearly everyone who searches for it winds up dead.
- I suspect that someone or something hid this artifact away in the Clockwork City."
- Are you concerned about seeking an object that got other people killed?
- "Other people are not Divayth Fyr. I've not lived this long by shying away from dangerous relics.
- Anyway, if this artifact inspired someone to slaughter scores of mages, it's clearly something worth investigating."
Follow Divayth Fyr into the cave.
Journey to the Clockwork City
Follow Divayth Fyr through the cave.
- "Hmm. Even draftier than I remembered. Follow me."
Start your way along the path.
- "Welcome to the Dwarven hold of Bamz-Amschend... such as it is. Ironic that Ayem's holy city of Mournhold has Dwemeric roots, don't you think?"
- "Curious. Practically no one knows this route, but this scaffolding looks new. Built by rogue ordinators perhaps? Stay watchful."
Follow Divayth Fyr across the bridge.
- "Sotha Sil always did admire Dwarven industry, albeit quietly. Perhaps that's why he built his city here."
- "This lift will take us to the nethermost depths of the ruin, and to our destination. Come along."
Activate the lever and descend to the vault.
- "On you go. The entrance lies just ahead."
- Seht's Vault
- (Divayth Fyr now has 10.2m health).
- "Do you see, just across the ravine? That's our door."
A group of mechanical humanoids approach and line up along the path to a strange sphere. They kneel in Divayth Fyr's presence.
- "Sotha Sil's factotums still remember me. How touching."
- "I'd say prepare yourself, but nothing can prepare you for what's to come. Touch the sphere. The Clockwork City awaits."
You touch the sphere and find yourself shrunk down and transported into the sphere. The moment you arrive, it becomes clear that something is amiss. Divayth Fyr seems off-put.
- "What in the .... This is not the Brass Fortress."
- "Someone diverted our passage. Audacious, but foolhardy. When I find them I'll... wait. I feel ... cold."
Divayth Fyr's Shadow abruptly splits from its host and runs off.
- "Back, creature!"
- "My shadow! My power! Don't let it escape!"
Suddenly, the factotums along the wall begin to awaken, and they proceed to attack you. Without his shadow, Divayth Fyr has been weakened, so he can only provide minor healing for you.
- "Factotums. They're activating!"
- "Ready your weapons. I will assist you as best I can"
- "More, to the southeast! Make ready!"
- "Fetching scrapheaps... My shadow remains close. We must hurry!"
Enter the Scrubbing Bore.
- "Swivel Swords? Wonderful. I'm in no condition to navigate this maze. Go, find a way to deactivate these traps."
Here you have the possibility to speak to Divayth and ask him some questions, although he is rather impatient:
- "Perhaps I failed to impress the gravity of our situation upon you. If my shadow gets away, we may never escape this place. So if you have something to say, say it quickly."
- Was that really your shadow?
- "Yes - and perhaps something more. In removing my shadow our attacker removed some vital part of my animus. My soul, in the common parlance. Without it, my power is severely diminished.
- Needless to say, this will not do."
- Do you know how to recover your shadow?
- "This may surprise you, but I've never had my shadow ripped from my body. Even so, I will devise a solution. Don't trouble yourself with the finer details. Just be prepared to fight. Much will depend on your ability. Do not fail me."
- Do you have any idea what sent us here?
- "Not yet. We should have translocated directly to the Brass Fortress - Sil's chief municipality here in the Clockwork City. But somehow we ended up here. Vexing."
- How do we plan to get out of here?
- "One step at a time, if you please.
- We need only to find a landmark, or map... or something. Once I determine where we are, it won't take long to find an exit. Just leave that to me. You focus on these traps."
Navigate the Bore and flip the switches you find along the path to deactivate the traps. From the entrance, head left and follow that path. The switches will be in your way and easily flippable. To avoid the swivel-sword traps, stick to the wall. Be mindful of their positions, and hug the wall when they approach. For the swinging ceiling axe traps, watch the axes' swings and time your movement so that you slink past each blade in the pause between each set of swings. Swing, swing, pause: slink on past. Rinse and repeat. Deactivate the traps and move on with Fyr in tow.
- "Well done. Killed by spinning knives is not an epitaph worthy of Divayth Fyr."
- "Now, onward. I'm eager to see what new wind-up absurdities await us."
Proceed through the door to the Pneumatic Forge.
- "I recognize this place now. The Pneumatic Forge. We should leave as soon as possible."
- "Sotha Sil constructs his clockwork servitors here- the factotums. They reject anyone who doesn't belong. Someone meant for us to die here."
Navigate through the Forge and enter the Pneumatic Approach. Here, you will confront Divayth Fyr's shadow. Again Divayth Fyr provides healing, as he's been doing throughout this whole adventure since losing his shadow. Defeat the Shadow.
- Divayth Fyr: "Stand back. Time to reclaim what is mine."
Divayth Fyr waves his hands, channeling a spell while chanting. His shadow conforms to his movements, and he walks into the gooey thing, reattaching it to himself.
- Divayth Fyr: "Maliad, khebeit tehir! Devahrokad sint molad!"
- Divayth Fyr: "Finally. You never know how much you miss a thing until it tries to kill you."
As Divayth Fyr gets sentimental about his shadow, a sizeable group of factotums appears, and begins moving towards you.
- Divayth Fyr: "More ridiculous machines? I've had enough of this!"
Fyr drives his staff into the ground and destroys the factotums in a flurry of flames.
- Divayth Fyr: "Come. We still have a long way to go."
Arrival to the City
When you've finally arrived to the outskirts of the Clockwork City, Divayth comments,
- Divayth Fyr: "Behold, the Clockwork City. Finally. Sotha Sil's Brass Fortress waits at the end of this road."
- Divayth Fyr: "We should go there at once. I'm keen to find out who sent us on that delightful jaunt through the Pneumatis".
- "Follow this road to the Brass Fortress. When you see the wayshrine, veer north... or what passes for north here.
If you have other business to attend to, I'll not stop you. Just meet me at the gates to the fortress when you're ready to proceed."
- Are you all right?
- "Concerned for my well-being? Touching. With time, I should make a full recovery.
- You performed admirably in there. I must admit, I had my doubts. But don't worry - I have doubts about practically everyone."
- Any new ideas about what disrupted our travel?
- I hoped that in reclaiming my shadow, I might catch a glimpse of our adversary or my prize. Alas, nothing. Seems we'll have to conduct inquiries the old fashioned way."
- What was that about your prize?
- "Have you forgotten so soon?
- I came to the Clockwork City in search of a Daedric artifact. Our misadventures in the Pneumatis and this mysterious relic share a common point of origin, I'm certain. Now it's just a matter of rooting it out."
Head to the gates of Brass Fortress. Right at the gates you will be stopped by a slightly hostile clockwork mage Proctor Luciana Pullo: "Divayth Fyr! I warned you never to come back!" She then turns to you, "And you? One of Fyr's lackeys, I take it?" At this point Divayth dryly remarks, "Luciana Pullo. Hospitable as ever. Go talk to her. I'll not waste my time speaking with a petulant toy soldier."
Speak to Luciana, who will be rather suspicious of your intent: "Hold there, friend of Fyr. I am Proctor Luciana Pullo, of the Clockwork Apostles. I don't know how you and this egomaniac breached Lord Seht's celestiodrome, but I won't have non-citizens stirring up mischief in the Brass Fortress."
- How can I become a citizen?
- "Only just arrived and already trying to grease the gears?
- New arrivals must secure an endorsement from a citizen in good standing. I'm prepared to overlook your atrocious choice in companions if you can find a sponsor. Until then, you are tarnished."
- How do I get a citizen to sponsor me?
- "That's for you to find out. Not many citizens will risk their reputation on a green-heeled stranger- and you'll find no comfort from me. Maybe you should confer with the other tarnished over there.
- In the meantime, obey the law. I'll be watching."
- Fair enough.
Reminding Fyr to behave, Luciana takes her leave: "Tread carefully, Fyr. I'll be watching." Speak to Divayth Fyr about the sponsorship. He sighs, "Luciana clearly hasn't lost her charming demeanor. Predictable."
- It seems I won't be welcome in the city until I've found a sponsor.
- "Ah, yes, their bizarre sponsorship custom. I forgot about that little wrinkle. As a friend and peer of Sotha Sil, I come and go as I please.
- I suppose it would be best for you to wait out here. If i need you again, I will find you."
- Can't you sponsor me?
- "I am not a citizen. And even if I were, I'd not waste time wading through their opaque bureaucracy. You've proven yourself to be more than capable. I have no doubt you will figure something out.
- Gain your sponsorship. We will speak again soon."
|To The Clockwork City|
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|I must seek out the legendary Dark Elf mage, Divayth Fyr, in the Mournhold Tribunal Temple.
Objective: Talk to Divayth Fyr
|I decided to join Divayth Fyr on his expedition to the Clockwork City. Our journey begins at the waterfall just north of Mournhold.
Objective: Meet Divayth Fyr at the Waterfall
|Divayth revealed a secret door behind the waterfall that leads to a cavern deep beneath Mournhold. We must navigate this cave network to find the Clockwork City entrance.
Objective: Enter the Secret Cavern
Optional Step: Talk to Divayth Fyr
|Divayth told me that the entrance to Clockwork City waits just ahead. I should delve deeper into the cavern.
Objective: Find the Entrance to the Clockwork City
|I discovered an ornate clockwork globe, housing a miniature Clockwork City. I should use the device to enter Sotha Sil's realm.
Objective: Use the Clockwork Globe
|Divayth Fyr and I arrived in a remote, underground section of the Clockwork City. Divayth Fyr seems concerned. I should stand ready to defend against any attack.
Objective: Protect Divayth Fyr
|Divayth Fyr's shadow suddenly came to life and attacked its owner. It did not strike a mortal blow, but Divayth is clearly weakened. I must pursue this shadowy attacker deeper into the clockwork underground.
Objective: Chase Divayth's Shadow
|Divayth's treacherous shadow led us into a room guarded by clockwork factotums. I must defeat them to clear the way forward.
Objective: Defeat the Factotums
|Defeating the factotums appears to have opened a door to the next section of the clockwork underground. I must continue my search for Divayth's shadow.
Objective: Chase Divayth's Shadow
|In his weakened state, Divayth Fyr cannot safely bypass the clockwork underground's defenses. I must move ahead and find a way to shut down the traps so he can travel safely through the halls.
Objective: Disable the Traps
Objective Hint: Throw the First Trap Release Switch
Objective Hint: Throw the Second Trap Release Switch
|A slightly stronger Divayth Fyr arrived shortly after I disabled the final traps. We have to keep moving forward. His shadow must be nearby.
Objective: Chase Divayth's Shadow
|We finally caught up to Divayth's Shadow. Now we must defeat it so Divayth Fyr can reclaim his lost power.
Objective: Defeat Divayth's Shadow
|With Divayth's help, I beat the treacherous shadow into submission. I must defend Divayth as he attempts to recover his power.
Objective: Protect Divayth Fyr
|A fully restored Divayth Fyr defeated the last of the factotums, allowing us to escape the Pneumatic Forge. We should make our way to the surface.
Objective: Exit the Pneumatic Forge
|We finally reached the surface of the Clockwork City! Divayth Fyr suggested we take the road to the Brass Fortress—Sotha Sil's seat of power. I should make my way there.
Objective: Reach the Brass Fortress
|I have reached the gates of the Brass Fortress and must escort Divatyh Fyr inside.
Objective: Escort Divayth Fyr
|An imposing clockwork mage confronted us outside the gates to the Brass Fortress. She made it clear that she disapproves of Divayth's presence. I should try to defuse the situation.
Objective: Talk to Proctor Luciana Pullo
Luciana Pullo, leader of the Clockwork Apostles, told me that all newcomers to the Brass Fortress must be sponsored before they can gain full access. Perhaps Divayth Fyr can act as my sponsor. I should speak with him.
Objective: Talk to Divayth Fyr
|Divayth Fyr may be able to sponsor me for Brass Fortress access. I should speak with him outside the gates.
Objective: Talk to Divayth Fyr