Online:The First Patient
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Online Quest Project.
The page is being both written and checked. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
|Velatosse is suspicious about the plague's origins. She's asked me to look into the source of this mysterious illness.|
- Speak with Velatosse.
- Find evidence and show it to Velatosse.
- Enter the mine.
- Return to Velatosse.
- (Optional) Report to Captain Netanwe.
The Worried Mother
After the conclusion of Plague of Phaer, Velatosse will whisper to you, "Psst! Over here! Quickly!" Speak to her to see what she wants:
- "There's just something not right about this."
- What do you mean?
- "Everyone in town is so grateful to Hendil. But I don't trust him. Or that little toad Amuur. My youngest son's been down there for a week! Why?"
- You don't think he's trying to help these people?
- "No, I don't. I think he's hiding something. Those mercenaries? They guard his house night and day.
- Please, I know you have no reason to trust me. But at least look? It's my son."
- I'll look around in Hendil's home. For your son.
- "I'll meet you at my home when you're done. I live just behind Hendil.
- And I know, you must think I'm mad. But I can feel it. This is all wrong."
- Wasn't Hendil's son the first infected?
- "I know, I know. I can't explain it. But the last few days, it seems like people don't become sick until after Hendil gives them the salve.
Or perhaps I'm just reading too much into this. Either way."
Investigating Hendil's Home
You have two means of access to Hendil's House: The broken window on the west side, or the front door. A mercenary patrols the area in front of the door, which has a simple-level lock, but is easily avoided.
Once you're inside, look for a journal which can be found beside the bed. It contains troubling revelations, and confirms that Hendil is not acting in the town's best interests. Once you've got Hendil's Journal, meet Velatosse just southeast of Hendil's house. While you were gone, the situation got worse.
- "They took him! They took Nelulin. Now both of my boys are locked away."
- I'm sorry, Velatosse. I found a journal while I was searching Hendil's home.
- "What's he hiding?<She takes the journal from you.>
I'm not sure I understand all of this, but I was right! This plague, or whatever you want to call it, is all his fault."
- Why would he create a plague?
- "No idea. But it's clear—whatever's going on has to be stopped.
Please. I know you barely know me. But my sons are all I have. I don't know if I could go on. If they were to…"
- I need to get into the mine, then.
- "Yes. And to do that you'll need to get past the mercenaries. The unsmiling thugs at the door won't give me the time of day. Maybe one of the others could be convinced to help you?
Or maybe a disguise? I don't know."
- I'll get past them, Velatosse.
The Quarantine Caverns
You then have two ways to get into the caverns. The first is to go through Scout Taniril, bribery works wonders.
- "Hmph. Quite the busybody about town, aren't you?"
- I am, actually! Can we talk about your fellow mercenaries?
- "Hmph. Depends on what you want to know."
- Well, I need to get inside the quarantine. Any ideas on how I could do that?
- "I'll tell you. You mentioned quarantine. To say the truth, my coin purse isn't feeling all that well."
- Let me guess? Your coin purse is hungry. [Pay leveled gold]
- "Ha! That it is. Your best bet is to grab one of our uniforms from the cabinet in the bunkhouse.
Anyone up there is sure to be sacked out. Won't notice a thing. Just don't tell 'em I sent you."
- Thanks. Hope your coin purse feels better.
The second is to go straight to the bunkhouse and take a uniform.
Once you have a uniform, go through to the catacombs. Immediately inside, you will catch a glimpse of Hendil and his assistant hurrying down the slope.
- Hendil: "Hurry, Amuur! We've got to get back before someone notices we're gone."
Hunting Down Hendil
As you begin to follow them, you can find scattered about various letters to quarantined victims, including ones from Lenwe, Camarino, and Minique. Soon you will come across Nelulin, injured but alive. He can then be spoken with.
- "Where am I? What happened?"
- Hendil and Amuur dragged you down here. They just ran off.
- "The quarantine? But everyone's sick down here. Am I going to die?"
- I don't know.
- "So tired. You have to find Hendil. Don't want to die."
Deeper inside the mine, after fighting through many Bloodthralls, you will encounter Amuur. Hendil commands him: "Hold them, Amuur. We can't let them get any further. They can't know the truth!"
The Terrible Truth
After defeating Amuur, continue onwards to find Hendil, who yells, "Son! Let me in! They can't find you like this! They'll kill you!". Speak to him as he bangs on the door to the inner chamber:
- "Please, go away. I'm just trying to protect my son."
- What are you talking about? What's going on here?
- "Tancano, my son. He's sick. I've been trying to hide it. But everything's gone wrong."
- What's wrong with all of these people?
- "My son. He feeds off of them. Then he bends them to his will. They become his thralls.
I've been bringing people down here since he first got sick. Once I find the cure, I can set everything right!"
- This is just wrong.
- "I just want my son back! Not this monster.
Please, don't hurt him. I can still make this right. I can still—"
He's then interrupted by Tancano, who says, "The new blood smells fresh. Please, father. Let them in."
Tancano awaits in the next room, greeting you as "fresh blood! And my next thrall!". He can be found feasting on the dead body of Iwelien. Once you defeat him, continue on towards Hendil:
- "Oh, my son! I can't believe it. After everything I did to protect him ….
- To protect him? What about all these people?
- "I don't know. They were under Tancano—the monster's—control.
I don't know what will happen now that he's gone. All we can do is hope."
- You need to answer for what you've done here.
- "I understand. I don't … I don't deserve freedom. Report me to Netanwe. She can take me in.
I can't face all those families. Can I wait here?"
- How do I know you won't run?
- "I won't run. I'll—
Tie me up. I'll wait for her to come for me."
Breaking the News
Once he is bound, leave the mine again through the front entrance, where Velatosse is waiting for you:
- "Please. My sons. What's happened?"
- Hendil's salve was a drug. He was feeding people to his son Tancano—a vampire.
- "What's? He's a monster! Who could do such a thing?
Nelulin. Did you find him?"
- I found him just inside the entrance. I don't think the vampire got to him.
- "Thank the Stars.
Wait, what about Iwelien? He's been in there so long!"
- I'm sorry, Velatosse. I was too late.
- "No! My boy. My Iwel.
Hendil. Where is he? Where is that bottle-sniffer?"
- I left him tied up inside the mine. I was going to get the mercenary captain to—
- "Stop. Just walk away. I appreciate what you tried to do, but ….
Just walk away now."
You will now a choice, either you allow Velatosse to do what she wants or you stop her and report Hendil to Captain Netanwe.
Appealing to her better nature will let Hendil live for now.
After this, you will need to report to Captain Netanwe:
- "Ah, you again. You look terrible. Something wrong?"
- Well, it turns out there was no plague. Hendil was behind everything.
- "What? What do you mean behind everything? He helped! He passed out that salve to everyone and … oh."
- Right. The salve knocked people out. His son was a vampire.
- "Lichloving bloodfiend! Stars damn that alchemist. I'll drag him to Skywatch myself, see him clapped in irons.
Where is he?"
- I left him tied up down in the mine. Be careful, the villagers down there are dangerous.
- "My men and I will go round him up. I can't believe we took a contract from a damned deathlover.
Thank you, traveler. Stars guide your steps."
Or he dies:
|The First Patient|
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|Velatosse is very upset that the mercenaries are guarding Hendil's home as well as the quarantine area. She thinks the alchemist is hiding something. I should speak to the guard at the home, or find an alternate way in.
Objective: Find a Way into Hendil's House
Objective Hint: Bribe Scout
|I need to search Hendil's home for some evidence of foul play.
Objective: Search Hendil's Home
|I found Hendil's journal. I should leave Hendil's house now.
Objective: Leave Hendil's House
|I uncovered Hendil's journal, which contains information on the source of the plague. I should take it to Velatosse.
Objective: Bring Journal to Velatosse at Her Son's Home
|Hendil's journal indicates that something is amiss in the quarantine. Velatosse is very upset, as her elder son has now been taken as well. She's asked me to enter the cave and find out what's going on. Just need to figure out how to get in there.
Objective: Find a Way into the Cave
Objective Hint: Get Guard Uniform
|I made my way into the cave and caught sight of Hendil running down a corridor. I should follow him to see what he can tell me.
Objective: Follow Hendil
|I came across Nelulin, Velatosse's son. I should talk to him to see if he's all right.
Objective: Talk to Nelulin
|Nelulin is weak, but not sick. He asked me to follow Hendil and Amuur further down the corridor to see why they put him in quarantine.
Objective: Follow Hendil in the Catacombs
|Hendil has sent Amuur to stop me. I need to take him down.
Objective: Defeat Amuur
|Hendil is still somewhere out there in the mine. I have to find him.
Objective: Find Hendil
|Hendil's son is a vampire! The alchemist has been feeding his fellow villagers to the beast as he worked to find a cure. There's only one choice: Tancano has to die.
Objective: Defeat Tancano
|I must confront Hendil.
Objective: Talk to Hendil
|Hendil has surrendered, but can't face the villagers outside. I left him tied up in the mine for the time being. I should return to the surface.
Objective: Return to Phaer
|Velatosse intercepted me at the cave's exit. I should tell her what's happened.
Objective: Talk to Velatosse
|I decided to allow Velatosse to exact her revenge on Hendil. I should speak to her one final time.
Objective: Talk to Velatosse
|I decided to stop Velatosse from exacting her revenge on Hendil. I need to report Hendil's crimes to Netanwe.
Objective: Talk to Netanwe
|I told Netanwe about Hendil's madness. I should speak to her one final time.
Objective: Talk to Netanwe