Online:The Crystal Tower
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Online Quest Project.
The page is being both written and checked. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
|This article could benefit from an image.
See Help:Images for information on how to upload images. Please remove this template from the page when finished.
- Talk to Sotha Sil.
- Talk to your companions.
- Attend the meeting in the Dreaming Cave.
- Enter the portal.
- Fight your way to the entrance of the Crystal Tower.
- Fight the Guardian Atronach and speak to Sapiarch Nolyemal afterwards.
- Recover the missing parts of the ballista.
- Destroy the debris blocking the corridor with the ballista.
- Fight your way through the library.
- Obtain a key for the library door.
- Talk to Earl Leythen.
- Ascend the Crystal Tower.
- Defeat Nocturnal's Champion.
- Talk to Darien Gautier.
- Cleanse Dawnbreaker
- Confront Nocturnal.
- Defeat the shade of Nocturnal's Champion twice.
- Reforge Transparent Law.
- Talk to Valsirenn.
- Speak to Sotha Sil in Ceporah Tower to complete the quest.
To start this quest, speak with Valsirenn.
- "I'll start making preparations for the Dreaming Cave. In the meantime, Sotha Sil asked me to send you to his study the moment you arrived. I'm not sure what he wants, but you should tell him about your interactions with the betrayed Princes."
- Do you know why Sotha Sil wants to see me?
- "Something to do with the Crystal Tower, no doubt. Sotha Sil has never been forthcoming, though for some reason it appears he's taken a liking to you.
- But tell me, what of Darien and Leythen?"
- Darien is on his way back, and he's bringing Leythen with him.
- "Both decided to return? I'm surprised. Meridia's knight has a stake in this, but why would Leythen volunteer to return? It makes no sense to me.
- Well, go and talk to Sotha Sil. Perhaps he can shed light on what we can expect in the Crystal Tower."
- I'll go talk to Sotha Sil.
Talk to Sotha Sil
Head into Sotha Sil's study and speak with him as Valsirenn asked
- "The Tribunal has been warned. They will make preparations in case the efforts here fail. I doubt that even they can weather the resulting storm if the worst comes to pass.
- As I calculated, your actions will determine the outcome of these events."
- Is that why you sent for me?
- "In part. Determining the possible consequences of disparate actions becomes easier when studying the primary catalyst. You have a tendency to fill that role in almost all situations.
- What happened after the Sapiarchs failed to attune the diamonds?"
- I made a deal with Vile to reach the Crystal Tower and Mephala is considering attuning the diamonds.
- "Gather your companions and meet me in the Dreaming Cave. We must contact Vile and Mephala so you can enter the Crystal Tower, recover the Heart of Transparent Law, and repair the tower crystal.
- That will require a burst of divine energy, though."
- We need divine energy to repair the Transparent Law crystal?
- "Transparent Law, the crystal at the top of the tower, is as much metaphysical as it is tangible. Only divine energy can reconnect the Heart and make the crystal whole.
- Of course, Nocturnal is aware of this as well."
- Why does that matter?
- "If Nocturnal performs the restoration and once again merges the Heart with Transparent Law, her connection to the tower will become unbreakable. She will truly ascend to an infinite state of being."
- So what do you suggest I do?
- "You must enter the Crystal Tower and recover the Heart, Then find a relic filled with divine energy and repair Transparent Law. Only then will the tower's innate defenses reengage and repel Nocturnal's influence.
- In theory, anyway."
Speak with your companions.
Now you should speak with your friends. This might be the last chance you have to talk to them before the assault on the Tower. Darien is sitting at a table in the Ceporah Tower's library, having a refreshing drink.
- Darien: "Psijics must be wine drinkers, because this ale they make tastes awful"
- "I brought Leythen back and what does Valsirenn do? Sends me off without a word or a thank you.
- So when do we head out to assault the Crystal Tower? No one tells me anything around here."
- We're heading to the Dreaming Cave. Hopefully, Vile and Mephala will honor their end of the bargain.
- "I knew I could count on you! You're always straight with me. I appreciate that.
- Still, the last time I went off to fight a Daedric Prince, there was a celebration. A party! This time, it's just us."
- You're upset because no one is celebrating?
- "What? No, no no! I didn't mean it like that. I just mean, back then, there were more familiar faces. Friends who I knew had my back. Charging into battle with allies I trusted- there was a comfort in that.
- Here, I'm practically a stranger."
- You can count on me.
- "And trust me, I am grateful for that. You're kind of like me in a lot of ways, aren't you? An outsider caught up in things we don't fully understand?
- Whatever happens, when this is over, let me buy you a drink. Then we can have a proper celebration!"
You can find Razum-dar North of the Ceporah Tower, past the wayshrine.
- Razum-dar: "This is Artaeum? Raz is impressed! And truly frightened by the very strange sky."
- Oriandra: "Ah, here comes your friend now! Just remember, you were never here. The Conclave isn't fond of visitors."
- Razum-dar: "For a place that doesn't like visitors, Raz thinks it's pretty busy, yes?"
- "Raz never had the urge to travel to Oblivion or visit a magically displaced island, but now Raz feels like the cat who caught the farmer's prized turkey!
- It is good to see you safe, my friend. Now, tell Raz you have a way to save Summerset."
- We have a plan, but it involves a deal I made with Clavicus Vile and Mephala.
- "Raz knew that strange talking dog would lead you into trouble! Do you really think we can trust those Daedric Princes?
- No, too late for that. Tell Raz the rest of your plan, yes?"
- We're going to assault the Crystal Tower and stop Nocturnal.
- "Foolish, but brave. Also very foolish. Raz has walked into certain death many times and emerged with his fur intact. Mostly. But Raz knows why you do this thing.
- Raz will not try to talk you out of this. He will, instead, give you happy news."
- You have happy news?
- "Raz warned Queen Ayrenn. She has promised to contact the leaders of the other alliances and assemble a mighty force to deal with this threat!
- Which brings us to the not-so-happy news."
- And what's the not-so-happy news?
- "The mighty force won't reach Summerset for quite some time. Oh, and Raz could tell you about prevailing winds, unusual storms, and other factors beyond our control, but it amounts to the same thing.
- We're on our own, my friend."
- Are you going with me to the Crystal Tower?
- "Not this time. Raz must go back and lead the Divine Prosecution in defense of Summerset. If the Crystal Tower keeps exploding, we will evacuate the island and save as many people as we can.
- May the luck of Jone and Jode be with you, my friend."
Next is Valsirenn and Leythen, who are spending time together, mourning their daughter near the entrance to the College of Sapiarchs.
- Valsirenn: "You were a terrific father to our daughter, Leythen. I'll never forget that."
- Leythen: "You were always Ealdaawe's hero, Val. I envied the way she looked up to you."
- Valsirenn: "I'm sorry, Leythen. I should have been there with you. With her. At the end."
- Leythen: "You were trying to save her. I know that. It was just... damn it, we need to win this, Val."
Talk to Valsirenn.
- "Things will never be the same between me and Leythen again, but I think we understand each other a little better now.
- Funny how the approaching end of the world has a way of putting everyhting into perspective."
- Are you ready for this?
- "I've been a member of the Psijic Order for more years than I can remember, but this is the first time since my daughter's illness that I've been truly frightened of what's to come."
- So this is your first time facing the end of the world?
- "The world ends all the time. It's just that I'm more accustomed to that being a personal event and not a shared experience. The world ended when the Ritemaster died, for example, but only from his perspective.
- If Nocturnal remakes reality..."
- Let's go to the Dreaming Cave and make sure that doesn't happen.
- "You have a way of instilling confidence, my friend. You're similar to the Ritemaster in that regard. If we can't have him at our side for this, I'm glad to at least have you.
- I just hope we can see our way through this. I'll meet you at the cave."'
Now talk to Leythen.
- "This shrine, Val and I built it for our daughter after she died. High elves don't bury their dead, but we needed something to remember her by. She loved climbing this tree before the illness took her.
- I forgot how beautiful it was."
- Can I trust you to help us in this?
- "With the Psijic Order and my Mistress Mephala aligned toward a common goal, I'm feeling practically giddy with anticipation.
- But never fear. I'll reestablish contact with my Prince when called upon to do so. I gave you my word."
- What did you hope to accomplish with the Court of Bedlam?
- "The Court offered me a purpose after my life lost its meaning. Our Princes promised to remake the world, turn it into a better pace. A paradise. And they were going to elevate the Altmer back to their status as gods.
- Suffering would come to an end."
- Isn't that what Nocturnal still wants to do?
- "Not in the least. Remaking the world to eliminate death and disease is one thing. Destroying everything to turn yourself into a being of infinite power- well, that's something else entirely.
- Mephala will see that and provide the help you need."
The Dreaming Cave
Now you must return to the Dreaming Cave and ready yourself for the events to come. You have one last chance to talk to all of your companions before the end. You may talk to Sotha Sil when you're ready to proceed.
- Darien: "I've learned to trust my instincts over the years. The problem this time, though, is my instinct is telling me to run far, far away.
- That wouldn't be very heroic now, would it? Into the fray we go, my friend. Even if it might be for the last time."
- Barbas: "What? Sotha Sil let me in. How else am supposed to lead you through the Fields of Regret and to the Crystal Tower?
- Now could we hury this up, please? Nocturnal's not going to wait forever to tear reality apart, you know."
- Leythen: "Sotha Sil allowed Barbas to come to Artaeum so he can lead us to the Crystal Tower. In a moment, he'll also open the way so that my Prince can attune the diamonds for us. Then we can attack Nocturnal directly.
- I'm actually looking forward to that."
Speak with Sotha Sil.
- "This is the moment of truth. Once we begin, nothing can stop the rush to the grand conclusion. Make sure you have everything you need before I activate the Dreaming Cave.
- I'm ready to begin the assault of the Crystal Tower.
Now you must sit back and attend the meeting in the Dreaming Cave.
- Barbas: "I'll lead you through the Fields of Regret to reach the Crystal Tower."
- Darien: "Hey! That dog just talked!"
- Leythen: "I can establish contact with Mephala. She's ready to appear if you're willing to lower the defenses."
- Sotha Sil: "Oriandra, Valsirenn, assist me. Let us open a path and not keep the Prince of Secrets waiting."
The mages channel their magic, and the way is open in a burst of deep red mist. Mephala has arrived.
- Mephala: "Sotha Sil, the false god. I should have expected to see you.
- Sotha Sil: "Lady Mephala. WIll you honor the agreement you made with this mortal?"
- Mephala: "I am always true to my word. Now, send forth the mortal who consistently avoids the tangles of my webs. We have much to discuss."
Speak with Mephala.
- "You are strangely consequential, for a mortal. In my calculations, I somehow overlooked your significance. And yet, that has worked to my advantage, for now we have a chance to thwart Nocturnal. And that will be something to savor."
- So you'll attune us to the Resolute Diamonds?
- "I can attune the diamond keys, but that won't be enough to keep you safe. Using the secrets she stole from Sotha Sil, Nocturnal has infused the Crystal Tower with boundless energy. It makes the tower's connection to reality... increasingly unstable."
- What else do we need?
- "I must turn the Resolute Diamonds into more than just keys. They must become an anchor, something to lock you to this reality. Without such a weight, you will be lost as the tower rapidly shifts from one plane to the next.
- And in exchange..."
- Tell me what you want.
- "Two trivial concessions, nothing more. First, just as Vile sends his Hound, I want you to take my earl, Leythen, into the Crystal Tower. And second, I wish a private meeting with Sotha Sil after reality has been saved.
- Do we have a deal?"
- I can only speak for myself. Attune the diamonds as you have said and Leythen can come with me.
- "Two Resolute Diamonds.. imbued with the power of Mephala! Now they merge into a single gem... one Resolute Anchor to serve as both key and safeguard!
- Do not lose this. Only its presence will keep you and your companions anchored to reality."
- Thank you, Prince Mephala.
- Mephala: "Remember, if any of you stray from the protection of the Resolute Anchor, you'll be lost in the nothingness between realities.
- And know that I will be watching."
- Darien: "Can she do that? I hate being spied on!"
Barbas transforms in a poof of orange, taking on his Skaafin form.
- Barbas: "Now it's my turn. Let me use the gift my master gave you and I'll get you to the Crystal Tower."
- Sotha Sil: "Heed Mephala's advice and keep your companions close to the diamond. Without it, you would be lost in the darkness between realities.
- Now, recover the Heart and restore Transparent Law. Just remember, you must find a relic imbued with divine energy."
- Valsirenn: "Leythen, promise me you'll keep them safe!"
- Leythen: "I promise Val."
- Darien: "Oriandra, if I die saving the world, know that our brief time together has made me a better man."
- Oriandra: "What are you talking about?"
- Darien: "Shh, it's all right to cry. I'll do my best to return to you, I promise."
- Oriandra: "What just happened? What's that crazy knight talking about?"
And with that, the quest truly begins. Enter the Dreaming Cave portal.
The Fields of Regret
You end up in Clavicus Vile's realm, the Fields of Regret. Navigate your way towards the entrance of the Crystal Tower.
- Darien: "I bet Nocturnal knows we're coming. So much for the element of surprise."
- Leythen: "Where's Vile's Hound? Has he abandoned us already?"
Looking over the cliff, you'll see familiar purple magic falling from the sky... Barbas is down there, observing the smoking anomalies. Pursue him. You can jump off the cliff and break your legs or use the path to your right.
- Barbas: "Bother and bones! Nocturnal sends creatures into our realm? Not while Barbas is on guard! Skaafin, come forth!"
- Leythen: "Where are you going, creature?"
- Barbas: "I promised to show you the way. There, follow that path. That's the way to the tower. Now, I have a realm to defend!"
- Darien: "I don't think I like Barbas very much."
Follow the path as Barbas instructed. Try not to get distracted by Nocturnal's minions. The Skaafin that Barbas summoned will deal with them. You may engage with a few Shrikes or Gloam creatures that get in your way on the path, and feel free to dispatch the Wraith-of-Crows at the base of the tower. Make your way over to the tower, where Barbas will appear to send you off. Barbas: "What a mess! And to think we're depending on the actions of mortals! Ah, well, let's talk."
- "Nocturnal dares much, attacking my master's realm!
- But here you are, safe and sound. The Crystal Tower. At least, it's the version that exists in the Fields of Regret. Now I really need to get back to barking and biting Nocturnal's minions."
- We can enter the tower and reach Nocturnal from here?
- "Well, that depends on how good Mephala's magic is. If you're attuned to the Resolute Anchor like she promised, then the doors of the Crystal Tower will open at your approach.
- If not, you'll more than likely die on the doorstep."
Aren't you supposed to come with us?
- "That was the plan, yes. But plans changed when Nocturnal attacked my master's realm. Now Clavicus Vile wants me to repel those invaders and start preparing contingencies in case you fail.
- 'Understand, I have no contingencies, so try not to fail."
- What can we expect inside the Crystal Tower?
- "I've never been inside a tower that straddles every reality, but I expect you're going to have to go up, up, up!
- If you do reach the Night Mistress, bite her once for me!"
- We're going inside now.
- Barbas: "Remember Mephala's warning: Stray too far from the Resolute Anchor, and you'll be lost between realities."
The Crystal Tower
- Darien Gautier: "This place looks surprisingly intact."
- Leythen: "The interior and exterior of such places rarely coincide perfectly. I pity the Sapiarchs that were present when Nocturnal unleashed this magic."
There are plenty of urns and wardrobes to loot here. Defeat the Shadow Sapiarchs you encounter and head upstairs.
- Darien Gautier: "A dead end? Did we make a wrong turn?"
- Leythen: "Wait. The tower... It's moving. Fascinating! It appears to be reconfiguring itself."
- Darien Gautier: "The let's get moving before the tower remakes this platform out of existence!"
- Leythen: "I expect we'll see more evidence of this malleable nature the higher we climb."
With a path made, proceed through the tower. Across this bridge is the Relic Vault. Find your way out.
- Darien Gautier: "Look at this place. Part of the ceiling has fallen in!"
- Leythen: "Yes, but what happened to the Shadow Sapiarchs? They were thick as crows on the lower levels."
Suddenly, the door at the end of the hall slams shut, and an Iron Atronach manifests before it. A woman's voice comes calling from behind the shut door.
- Sapiarch Noylemal: "Stay... stay back!"
- Darien Gautier: "Really? A walking volcano?"
Defeat the Iron Atronach and talk to the Sapiarch.
- Sapiarch Noylemal: "I don't know how you entered the tower... but you must get out of here."
- Darien Gautier: "She's still alive! We have to help her."
- Sapiarch Noylemal: "No, stay back! The relic that protects me, it's failing. You can't help me."
- Leythen: "She's right. Look how she's starting to fade."
- "Please... before I am lost... tell me. What happened? I deserve to know why the tower has done this."
- Nocturnal has taken control of the Crystal Tower. How do we ascend the tower from here?
- :"Nocturnal? So I am to die as a pawn in some game played by a Daedric Prince?
- I'm sorry, but you've reached a dead end. The explosions. The exit is blocked by debris. There's no way to move it. You should turn back and flee."
From here, you have two dialogue options.
- Please we have to keep going up if we're going to stop Nocturnal.
- "The old ballista... If you could get it working again, it might be strong enough to punch through the debris.
- Oh gods... the relic! I'm... I'm not ready to die."
- I'm sorry.
- What happened in here?
- "I was just doing my studies. Like any other day. Then- then the tower began to shake suddenly. I heard screams. Such horrible screams.
- I watched my friends just... cease to exist. And in their places, these monstrosities stood."
- How did you survive?
- "I... I don't know. I grabbed this staff in hopes of balancing myself from the swaying of the tower. There was a flash of light and I... I was alone.
- But I'm so scared. The staff's magic is fading. Oh gods, I'm going to end up like them.
- If we want to make sure this doesn't happen to anyone else, I need to know how to get out of here.
- "The old ballista... If you could get it working again, it might be strong enough to punch through the debris.
- Oh gods... the relic! I'm... I'm not ready to die."
- I'm sorry.
- Sapiarch Noylemal: "I don't want to die!"
- Leythen: "Let me help you. Clear your mind."
- Sapiarch Noylemal: "It's so hard... to concentrate...."
- Leythen: "Think of your loved ones. Picture their faces and my magic will help you."
- Sapiarch Noylemal: "I see them. The pain... is fading. I can see-"
- Darien Gautier: "She... she's gone."
- Leythen: "Her last moments were peaceful. I saw to that."
- Leythen: "The magic that held back the shadows is gone. They'll be upon us before we know it."
It is time for you to make of the discorporated Sapiarch's suggestion. Navigate your way up the stairs and find the ballista the Sapiarch mentioned. You'll need to mow down a few Shadow Sapiarchs. As Leythen pointed out, the relic Sapiarch Noylemal was clinging to reality with was the only thing holding them back.
- Darien Gautier: "The dying Sapiarch was right! That is a ballista!"
- Darien Gautier: "It's not broken, it's just missing a few parts. Look around while I get the rest of it back in working condition."
Find the missing pieces. You must retrieve a crank, a rope and some ballista bolts. You'll find a coil of rope down the stairs in a room to the east. In a corridor next to that room, head south and down into the room where the ballista bolts are stored in a barrel. Across the hall and to the west, south of the staircase to the upper floor, you'll find a crank. Bring the parts upstairs and talk to Darien.
- "That should do it. I just need a crank, a rope, and some ballista bolts!"
- Here's what I was able to find.
With the ballista fixed, use it on the passage and blast through the debris blocking the way. It's the same as operating a siege engine in Cyrodiil. Interact with the ballista, aim the crosshairs at the debris, and fire. The debris is blocking the door to the south, across the hall from where you're standing. A Wraith-of-Crows will manifest on one of the broken parts of the tower wall across from the door, but won't attack you. Continue your ascent.
- Darien Gautier: "Now that's how to clear a path! I need one of those!"
The Tower Library
- Leythen: "Curious. From the opening in the ceiling, it appears we are no longer in Vile's realm."
- Darien Gautier: "So that's what they meant when they said the tower was in every realm at the same time!"
It appears as if your party has ascended the tower and ended up in the Spiral Skein. Now you must find a way through the library. Up the stairs, you'll find a key pedestal. See if you can get it to work.
- Leythen: "Yes, that must control the gate across the chamber. It appears to require a key, however.
- Down there! That looks like a likely candidate."
Down the stairs in the back of the room, there's another key pedestal, holding the Library Gate Key. When you try to take the key, a projection of Nocturnal's Earl manifests upon the pedestal and steals it!
- Darien Gautier: "Where did SHE come from?!"
- Veya: "Nocturnal's started to repair Transparent Law. Soon none of this will matter! "
- Leythen: "No! You mustn't do this!."
- Darien Gautier: "You can't reason with crazy, Leythen. Besides, we've got company!"
- Veya: "How observant, knight."
Veya summons 2 waves of Gloam creatures to keep you company. The first wave contains two Shadow Sapiarchs. The second, a Gloam Minotaur and the shadow of Custodian Simohil. Defeat them.
- Veya: "Why do you insist on prolonging your pain, Leythen?"
- Leythen: "You know nothing about pain!"
- Veya: "A pity. I thought we were the same. No matter. Your quest ends here."
- Darien Gautier: "Enough! Just hand over the damn key!"
- Leythen: "She's just trying to slow us down. Meet up at the gate pedestal!"
Run back to the gate pedestal and try the key.
- Leythen: "Try the key pedestal!"
- Leythen: "She did something to the controls. The gate won't open."
Talk to Leythen.
- "We must be nearing the pinnacle of the tower. That's why Nocturnal sent her champion to slow us down.
- Nocturnal's earl damaged this mechanism beyond repair. Even if we had acquired the key, I'm not sure it would have opened the gate."
- Do you know how we can get through the gate?
- "Sapiarch magic is powerful, but not as powerful as the magic of the Psijic Order. Since we don't have the key, I can try to overccome the damaged mechanism and then follow after you."
- How are you going to do that?
- "I can operate the mechanism manually from here. Then, once you and Darien are through the gate, I can teleport across and make it to the other side before it snaps back shut."
- All right, open the gate.
You can also speak to Darien to hear his thoughts.
- Darien Gautier: "I'm starting to hate that sword-stealing witch!"
Leythen will use his magic to activate the pedestal.
- Leythen: "The gate, it's opening! Go on! I can't hold this for very long!"
Run through the gate. The moment you cross the threshold, an umbral wind forces the gate shut.
- Darien Gautier: "The gate! Leythen, watch out!"
- Veya: "I have to stop you here. All of you."
- Leythen: "I wondered if you'd actually show yourself instead of just projecting menacing images."
- Veya: "A closed gate won't save them, Leythen!"
- Leythen: "No, but this will keep you busy for a time."
- Veya: "What? No!"
Leythen binds Veya with his magic and teleports off with her, away from the protection of the Resolute Anchor.
- Darien Gautier: "Where'd they go?"
- Darien Gautier: "Is Leythen... gone?"
Leythen returns! But something doesn't look right...
- Leythen: "That should keep her busy. For a short time, at least."
- Darien Gautier: "Um, why are you glowing?"
Talk to Leythen.
- "I was overconfident, I'm afraid. Valsirenn always said I was too sure of my own abilities. I just assumed I'd be able to get back to the protection of the Resolute Anchor before I was unmade.
- Pity. I would have preferred a more heroic ending."
- This was your plan all along?
- "I had to do something to get rid of Nocturnal's champion. At least for a little while. Beyod that, I really did hope that a moment outside the anchor's protection wouldn't be that fatal.
- Just something else you can tell Valsirenn I was wrong about."
- So that's it? There's nothing we can do?
- "You can stop Nocturnal. I'd really rather not see you and the knight wind up with this fate. And, if all goes well, you can tell Valsirenn that... that I'm sorry.
- Now, hurry. Nocturnal's earl won't be gone long."
You have two dialogue options here.
- After everything you did, this end is too good for you.
- "Yes, that's the spirit! Show me the anger you've been hiding! I'm fading away quickly, while you're about to suffer an eternity at Nocturnal's hands.
- Regardless, I must thank you. You gave me a chance. You let me see Valsirenn one last time."
- Thanks for giving us a fighting chance.
- "I should be thanking you. You had no reason to trust me, yet you did. And you gave me a chance to see my wife... to reconcile with her in a way.
- Now, go and beat Nocturnal. I have faith in you!"
- What should I tell Valsirenn?
- "Tell her ... tell her I'm going to go be with our daughter. Tell Val ... that we will ... we will wait ... for ... her ...."
- Thank you, Leythen.
And with that, Leythen collapses, dissipating into the all-consuming darkness.
- Darien Gautier: "We should... we should keep moving. There's nothing more can do here."
Continue on through the Tower Mausoleum. There's no time to mourn Leythen's passing. You have a world to save. Obliterate the gloam creatures blocking your path.
- Darien Gautier: "Nocturnal's realm... we've gotta be nearing the top of this thing."
- Veya: "You thought Leythen could stop me? He's only delayed the inevitable!"
- Darien Gautier: "Ignore the creepy voice. We have to keep going."
Open the door to the Tower Summit Approach and climb the stairs.
Tower Summit Approach
- Veya: "That's far enough! My Mistress can't be interrupted! Her work is too important."
- Darien Gautier: "Give me the damn Dawnbreaker back!"
- Veya: "Come and get it!"
Defeat Veya Releth. When you exhaust her energy, she will fall to her knees.
- Veya: "I don't understand. Why didn't the sword protect me?"
- Darien Gautier: "Because Dawnbreaker was never intended for you."
- Veya: "Meridia's magic is gone. The blade isn't yours anymore, either."
- Darien Gautier: "We'll see about that."
Darien tries to pick up Dawnbreaker, and Veya dies. Suddenly, the room is flooded with thick shadow. As the darkness rapidly closes in and consumes the Summit Approach entirely, Nocturnal can be heard.
- Darien Gautier: "No!"
- Nocturnal: "Join Meridia in my eternal darkness!"
Just as you start to think it's all over, a radiant flash of light bursts forth from Dawnbreaker, disintegrating the shadows and blinding the Vestige. Meridia's power may be gone from the sword, but there's one thing both Veya and her Mistress appear to have neglected to account for...
- Darien Gautier: "We are... not... dying ... like this!"
- 'Darien Gautier: "That worked? I mean... I mean... I mean, of course that worked. I just need a moment..."
Darien looks like he's out of breath. Panting, he rises from his knees and picks Dawnbreaker up from where he thrust it into the tiles. Despite the fact that the shadows have withdrawn, there's still a dark barrier lingering over the door, blocking your path. Speak with Darien and recollect yourselves.
- "Nocturnal's earl was wrong. Meridia's power, it's not gone. Her magic remains strong and vibrant.
- The vessel. The last Light of Meridia... it's me."
- The vessel? The last Light? What do you mean?
- "I finally understand everything Meridia told me. Her power, it's inside me. And with it I can remove the corruption from Dawnbreaker. I can fill the relic with divine energy again!"
- Sotha Sil said we needed a relic with divine energy tot repair the Translucent Law crystal.
- "Then this is even better. You can use the restored Dawnbreaker to save the world. I just won't be around to see it happen.
- I finally understand. I'm the vessel of Meridia. Her champion. But you're the key to stopping Nocturnal and saving reality."
- Darien, what are you saying?
- "I'm saying that you've got this. Whenever a threat appears, you bring the champions together. You find a way to win.
- And I'll be at your side for this one final battle, just not in the way I originally expected."
- Darien... what are you doing?
- Darien Gautier: "I'm returning the last of Meridia's power to the blade so you can stop Nocturnal. I wouldn't do this for anyone else."
- Darien Gautier: "Thank you... for everything."
Darien stands before the corrupted Dawnbreaker and grips the handle. He begins to glow, and is consumed by a flash of brilliant light. Darien is gone, and in his place is Dawnbreaker, radiating glorious power once more. Dawnbreaker is cleansed. Take the blade. Darien may be gone, but he's still with you. Now continue your ascent.
The Crystal Tower Summit
Beyond the door is your final destination. You've reached the apex of the Crystal Tower, the eternal twilight of Evergloam stretching vastly beyond the horizon. Climb the final set of stairs to the summit. Nocturnal is bathed in shadow, actively corrupting the Heart of Transparent Law. Now you must stop Nocturnal. Confront Nocturnal with Dawnbreaker's might.
- Nocturnal: "The tower crystal is almost whole. You are too late, mortal!"
- Nocturnal: "You are too late. Once the crystal is made whole, I shall become infinite!"
Use Dawnbreaker's power and dispel the shadows.
- Nocturnal: "Meridia's power won't help you against me!"
Defeat the Daedra Nocturnal summons to oppose you.
- Nocturnal: "Rise, my champion! And this time, succeed where you last failed!"
Nocturnal summons a limp Veya, and transforms her into a wraith-like abomination. Defeat Shadow Veya. Use Dawnbreaker's power whenever you can.
- Shadow Veya: "Finally! My true purpose! I will not fail you, Mother!"
- Nocturnal: "You strength is impressive, but Transparent Law is almost whole. Now rise again, my champion!"
Shadow Veya is summoned once again. This time, she's larger and more powerful.
- Shadow Veya: "You can't stop me. I only grow stronger as we bathe this world in darkness!"
- Nocturnal: "Witness my unbridled power!"
Nocturnal is putting all of her energy into taking you out. Defeat Shadow Veya with the help of Dawnbreaker's divine energy and Reforge Transparent Law to end this!
- Nocturnal: "No... the tower crystal... was supposed to be... mine..."
- Nocturnal: "No!"
The Heart Restored
The shadows have been driven away, the tower's crystal reforged and gleaming ruby red in the sunlight. Nocturnal's influence has been purged from the Crystal Tower. The skies are blue, clear as Summerset's burbling waters. A portal is opened behind you, and a familiar face steps forward.
- Valsirenn: "The Crystal Tower... its defenses no longer keep me out! Are you here, my friend?"
- Valsirenn: "You... you did it. I knew it!"
Talk to Valsirenn.
- "Transparent Law, it's whole again! I didn't think that was possible. And you stopped Nocturnal. You're back upon Summerset, my friend. The tower itself- it reformed!
- But... where's Darien... and Leythen...?"
- Darien sacrificed himself to restore Dawnbreaker so I could repair the tower crystal.
- "Of course. When you restored the tower crystal, it most likely expelled Nocturnal back to her own realm. I'm a little concerned that I was able to walk in without a key, but we can figure that out later.
- Now tell me what happened to Leythen."
- Leythen gave his life so we could reach the top of the tower.
- "Leythen... I'll... I'll mourn for Leythen later. I'm just glad he helped you. He would have made our daughter proud.
- For now, you have to tell Sotha Sil what happened. Then we can inform Summerset that the island- the world- is safe again."
- Let's go.
Return to Artaeum and meet Sotha Sil in the Dreaming Cave. Speak to the Clockwork God and end the quest.
- "As I predicted, your efforts were successful. A slight chance is all probability requires. There is no such thing as impossible odds. You are proof of that."
- Transparent Law was made whole by the power of the Dawnbreaker.
- "Was that Meridia's plan all along? Perhaps. Perhaps not.
- Your perseverance paid off, however. You never gave up, even when the darkness was unbearable. And because of that, the Crystal Tower is safe again."
- We lost friends along the way, though.
- "Life and death. It's all part of the ongoing cycle. As long as you remember them, they will never be forgotten."
- Won't Nocturnal just try again?
- "It took Nocturnal hundreds of years ti put all the pieces of her plan in place. And you wiped it all out with a single thrust of the Dawnbreaker. There will be other plans, I'm sure, but this particular threat is over."
- So what happens next?
- "Next? Every action we take can tip the balance of the flow of time. Bask in the moment and realize that you have done well, my mortal friend. You have saved the Crystal Tower. Saved Summerset. Saved reality itself.
- Even I could not have done better."
|The Crystal Tower|
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|Sotha Sil has asked to speak with me. I should go to his study in Ceporah Tower and talk to him.
Objective: Talk to Sotha Sil
|Before heading to the Dreaming Cave, I should speak to my companions around the island. This might be my last chance to speak to them before we assault the Crystal Tower.
Objective: Talk to Your Companions
|Sotha Sil said to meet him in the Dreaming Cave.
Objective: Enter the Dreaming Cave
|Sotha Sil wants me to speak to him when I'm ready to start the assault on the Crystal Tower.
Objective: Talk to Sotha Sil
|Sotha Sil has opened a path for Mephala into the Dreaming Cave. I should observe what happens.
Objective: Attend the Meeting in the Dreaming Cave
|Mephala stepped out of the Dreaming Cave and called me forward. I should speak to the Daedric Prince.
Objective: Talk to Mephala
|Mephala forged the two Resolute Diamonds into a single gem that serves as both an anchor and a key. I should wait while the portal to Clavicus Vile's realm opens.
Objective: Wait for the Portal to Reset
|I should follow Barbas to Clavicus Vile's realm so he can show us the way to the Crystal Tower.
Objective: Follow Barbas into the Fields of Regret
|Despite our agreement with Clavicus Vile, it looks like we're going to have to fight our way to the Crystal Tower.
Objective: Reach the Entrance of the Crystal Tower
|Barbas wants to talk to me. I should see what he has to say.
Objective: Talk to Barbas
|The Resolute Anchor serves as both a key to the Crystal Tower and an anchor to our reality. Since I have it, we should be able to enter the Crystal Tower.
Objective: Enter the Crystal Tower
|We need to reach the top of the Crystal Tower to confront Nocturnal.
Objective: Ascend the Crystal Tower
|A Sapiarch, and she's still alive. I should talk to her.
Objective: Talk to the Sapiarch
|The dying Sapiarch mentioned a broken ballista. If I can find it and repair it, I might be able to use it to clear the debris that's blocking the path up the tower.
Objective: Find the Broken Ballista
|The ballista isn't broken, it just needs to be reassembled. I should locate the missing pieces so Darien can put it back together.
Objective: Find the Missing Pieces to the Ballista
|I gathered the parts to repair the ballista. I need to bring them back to Darien so he can put the siege engine into working order.
Objective: Bring the Ballista Parts to Darien
|The ballista is ready. I should be able to use it to open the way forward now.
Objective: Use the Ballista on the Blocked Passage
|We need to ascend the tower to confront Nocturnal.
Objective: Ascend the Crystal Tower
|This appears to be the tower's library. We need to find a way to move forward.
Objective: Find a Way Through the Library
Objective Hint: Find the Key to the Pedestal
|The library's gate is closed. We need to find a way through it if we want to continue.
Objective: Open the Library Gate
|Leythen seems to know how this gate mechanism works. I should talk to him.
Objective: Talk to Earl Leythen
|Leythen managed to get the gate open. Now we just have to get behind it before his magic fades.
Objective: Get Through the Opened Gate
|Leythen wasn't able to get through the gate before it closed. I should talk to him.
Objective: Talk to Earl Leythen
|Our only way is up. We need to find our way to stop Nocturnal.
Objective: Ascend the Tower
|Nocturnal's champion stands in our way with the corrupted Dawnbreaker sword. We need to stop her before we can continue
Objective: Defeat Nocturnal's Champion
|We retrieved the Dawnbreaker sword, but it has been corrupted by Nocturnal. I should talk to Darien to see if he can restore the blade.
Objective: Talk to Darien Gautier
|We need to find a way to cleanse the Dawnbreaker.
Objective: Cleanse the Dawnbreaker
|Darien sacrificed himself to restore the power of the Dawnbreaker. I should retrieve the restored sword.
Objective: Take the Restored Dawnbreaker
|I have the Dawnbreaker in my possession. The only thing left is to climb the tower and confront Nocturnal once and for all.
Objective: Use the Dawnbreaker to Confront Nocturnal
|I need to put a stop to Nocturnal and use the Dawnbreaker on the tower crystal when the time is right.
Objective: Stop Nocturnal
|Nocturnal is weakened. I need to use the Dawnbreaker on the crystal called Transparent Law before she can recover.
Objective: Reforge Transparent Law
|Nocturnal has been banished. The Transparent Law crystal has been restored, and for now, it seems the threat has ended. Valsirenn has been able to get into the tower though, so I should speak to her and find out what's happening.
Objective: Talk to Valsirenn
|We stopped Nocturnal. We should leave and let the others know of our success.
Objective: Leave the Crystal Tower
|Sotha Sil awaits. I should speak to him and tell him of our success.
Objective: Talk to Sotha Sil
|Prev: A Necessary Alliance||Up: Heart of Summerset||Next: A New Alliance|