|To meet our site's higher standard of quality, this article or section may require cleanup. The user who placed this here had the following concern:
should be more comprehensive, cover all the sources
To leave a message about the cleanup for this article, please add it to this article's .
Marukh the Seer (also spelled Maruhk, also called Prophet-Most-Simian) was a First Era prophet who rose to prominence during the Camoran Dynasty and became especially esteemed among the inhabitants of Alessian Cyrodiil. Marukh's teachings sparked the massive cultural and spiritual movement known as the Alessian Order, a theocracy that transformed the Empire and the continent. He also wrote the Alessian Doctrines, which provide the base of law for the Alessian Empire and is credited with the phrase "All are guilty until they have proven themselves innocent", a cruel concept according to some.
Marukh's teachings both brought identity to Cyrodiil, codifying the pantheon most civilized Tamriellians worship to this day, and brought conflict due to the more severe strictures he espoused. His teachings began to question the validity of Elven rule after speaking to the "Enlightened One", Saint Alessia, in a vision. These sentiments led to an increasingly abstract and unknowable depiction of a Single God. They heavily influenced the Alessian Order and their secret sect, the Marukhati Selective. The priesthood of Marukh saw no difference between spiritual and political matters. This was the religion of the Alessian Empire, and it taught that to resist the Emperor was to resist the Gods.
As Marukh's teachings began to spread, hostility grew between Camoran Dynasty and the Empire. One of Marukh's chief supporters, the Nordic High King, Borgas, traveled to Cyrodiil to urge a joint war against the Bosmer, but fell victim of Valenwood's infamous Wild Hunt. This ultimately led to the eventual dissolution of the Alessian Reform of Marukh in Valenwood..
- The Bretons of the Iliac Bay celebrate Marukh's Day on the 9th of Second Seed. It is a solemn holiday, as befits the equally solemn prophet.
- Cleansing of the Fane — Fragmented script from a member of the Alessian Order
- Glarthir's Notes
- The Last King of the Ayleids by Herminia Cinna — Chronicles the downfall of the Ayleid Empire in the First Era
- On Oblivion by Morian Zenas — A guide to Oblivion and the Daedra
- Vindication for the Dragon Break by Fervidius Tharn, Arch-Prelate of the Maruhkati Selective — A Marukhati edict instructing the expungement of the Aldmeri aspects from Auriel
- Legal Basics — Anchivius, M.Z.F.
- The Final Lesson — Aegrothius Goth
- Pocket Guide to the Empire, 1st Edition: Cyrodiil — Imperial Geographical Society, 2E 864
- Rislav The Righteous — Sinjin
- Pocket Guide to the Empire, 3rd Edition: The Wilds Remain: Valenwood — Imperial Geographical Society, 3E 432
- Holidays of the Iliac Bay — Theth-i
- Proper-Life: Three Chants
- The Illusion of Death
Note: the following references are not from official sources. They are included to provide a rounder background to this article, but may not reflect established lore.
- Michael Kirkbride's Posts at The Imperial Library