Recipes are notes that you can find or purchase that provide some basic alchemy recipes. While this page is specifically for these alchemy notes, other pages provide information on other types of recipes in the game:
- Atronach Forge lists all of the recipes specific to that forge.
- Cooking and BakingHF list all of the available food combinations
The alchemy recipes have little significance other than providing a method, beyond eating ingredients and experimentation, to learn about some of the ingredient effects. However, you do not need to find a recipe in order to use the combination listed on the note. Nor do these notes provide anything close to an exhaustive list of possible alchemy ingredient combinations.
Recipes are the only type of note that can be purchased, specifically from apothecary merchants who stock:
- 1 common recipe
- 50% chance of having 1 poison recipe
- 50% chance of having 1 rare recipe
Recipes can also occasionally be found in random loot, specifically for warlocks and forsworn. Recipes can be sold to apothecary and general goods merchants. Merchants categorize them differently from books, and therefore they cannot be sold to spell merchants or other merchants who trade in books. All recipes have zero weight.
† Incorrect ingredient - these two should be swapped.
‡ This is not even an ingredient, but instead a food item.
- If you ask Arcadia, Orgnar, or Zaria for permission to use the alchemy lab at their respective stores, they will tell you that wheat and blisterwort create a Restore Health potion.
- Most recipes are of very limited use because they may require ingredients that are not sold by alchemists.
- A greater benefit is they usually reveal a higher value effect of one of the ingredients.
- Some recipes are wrong. In particular, Frost Salts and Fire Salts have been mixed up and Gourds are not actually an alchemy ingredient
- This issue has been addressed by version 1.3.2 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch; these mistakes have been corrected.
- Recipes do not automatically reveal unknown usages of potions.