|Primary Skills||One-handed, Two-handed|
|Faction(s)||CrimeFactionWhiterun; DragonsreachOccupants; During sieges, staff and family hide.; Imperial Government; Ruling Government; TownWhiterunFaction|
Hrongar is a Nord warrior who serves as an advisor and courtier for his brother Balgruuf the Greater, the Jarl of Whiterun. If not currently exiled by the Stormcloaks, he may greet you by saying: "All this standing around is rubbish. We should be taking the fight to the Stormcloaks." or "I'm not a man, I'm a weapon in human form. Just unsheathe me, and point me at the enemy." If Adrianne Avenicci is still alive, Hrongar may also greet you by saying: "My brother takes council from Proventus Avenicci? What a laugh. He takes council from his daughter, and she's a bloody blacksmith." He resides at Dragonsreach initially, and so long as Balgruuf remains jarl.
He can have a difficult conversation with the steward:
- Hrongar: "Proventus, you must help me. We need to convince my brother to do more for the war effort."
- Proventus: "What would you have me do, Hrongar? Your brother is the Jarl. You know I can't question his judgement."
- Hrongar: "I'm not asking you to defy the Jarl, just to open his eyes. Use subtlety and suggestion to turn his thoughts to the war. You're his steward, he'll listen to you."
- Proventus: "Leave me out of your intrigues, Hrongar. If you have something to say to the Jarl, say it with your own tongue."
A conversation between Proventus and Hrongar that seems to have been recorded for when Hrongar became Jarl (see notes):
- Proventus: "My lord Jarl, if we do not take steps soon, our coffers will be empty."
- Hrongar: "Raise the taxes, then! Put anyone that refuses to pay in the stocks and make an example of them."
- Proventus: "As you command, my lord. But, the issue could be solved another way. If we spend less on new arms and armor for the guards, for example..."
- Hrongar: "We're at war, old fool, or have you forgotten? Whiterun is the crown jewel of Skyrim, and you would leave us defenseless?"
- Proventus: "Forgive me, my lord. It was foolish of me to make such a suggestion."
- Hrongar was set to replace Balgruuf when the latter is killed by his children during The Whispering Door. However, this part of the quest was not implemented in the final game, so it never happens. As Balgruuf's intended successor, Hrongar has dialogue recorded for all of the quests Balgruuf is involved in to act as his replacement, and Adrianne Avenicci's husband, Ulfberth War-Bear, also has unused dialogue describing him as "a hot-blooded war-monger" of a jarl with a dungeon "filled with folk who roused his temper".