Shivering:To Help A Hero
- Speak to Pyke in Hale.
- Head to the bottom of Fetid Grove.
- Find and retrieve Pyke's Medallion.
- Return the medallion to Pyke.
Hearts and Thorns
Off the northwestern section of Overlook Road is an unnamed road leading to The Isle of Flame. A little further than halfway down this path, it will split into two; take the right hand road heading northeast. At the end, you will come to the quiet settlement of Hale. Among the small community of artists is a resident named Pyke, who just recently came through the same gateway near Bravil that you have. Pyke explains that he was a former Knight of the Thorn in Cheydinhal. He will talk about the Count's son Farwil, from the Oblivion quest The Wayward Knight, during his explanation of how he ended up living in the Isles, among some other minor Cyrodilic references.
A Lost Soldier
Pyke will go on to explain that he initially entered the gateway looking for adventure and any rare or unique treasures to the land that he could obtain to bring back to Cyrodiil. Unfortunately, early in his travels, while exploring a dangerous root cave called Fetid Grove, he was attacked by Grummites and overwhelmed. He ran from the violent beasts, but during the onslaught he lost the medallion from around his neck symbolizing his membership into the Knights of the Thorn. Soon afterwards, he came upon the settlement of Hale and discovered a new-found inner peace and a love with resident Zoe Malene. Now he has no desire to return to Cyrodiil and wishes to live out the rest of his life here. However, the medallion is of great sentimental value to him and he longs to have it back. Once you agree to help him, head south up the hill or take the unnamed path back to Overlook Road. Just south of the road is a very prominent lake, one of the largest in Mania, with a small island in the middle of it that houses the entrance to Fetid Grove.
Colony of Mites
Make your way through the first zone of the cave; there will be two entrances leading to the second zone. The eastern door takes you out into the initial "camp" area, where the western door enters into a ravine which must be traveled through before reaching the steps to the camp. It is suggested to use the eastern door as there is no freedom of movement in the ravine, it is heavily protected by archers and lit up quite brightly, the eastern door puts you significantly closer to the medallion as well. The entire second zone is one very large room with multiple camping platforms and pillared wooden structures. Near the middle of the upper level you will see a particularly large and unique wooden frame with some urns, chests, and a table under it. Near the table is an unlocked stone chest with Pyke's Medallion in it. A few of the nearby chests and urns have rewarding amounts of treasure in them to be taken as well.
When you're done, head back to Pyke and return his beloved medallion. Ecstatic and in awe of your capabilities, he gladly takes the medallion back and rewards you with the Thorn Shield, saying he surely won't be needing it anymore. The shield itself is a Heavy Armor shield with leveled Fortify Block and Reflect Spell enchantments.
- The medallion that is the object of this quest is identical in every way to the one received when becoming a member of the Knights of the Thorn yourself, except that it is titled 'Pyke's Medallion'.
- Pyke's Medallion will respawn in Fetid Grove if you return after three game days have passed, making it possible to obtain additional copies of the medallion. However, the additional copies will all be quest items and Pyke will not take them back. Therefore any extra medallions will remain in your inventory permanently.
- This bug is fixed by the Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.
- You can remove the medallion by making the items non-quest objects by inputting the console command:
SetQuestObject 00066F29 0(for if the item was retrieved in between levels 1 - 10),
SetQuestObject 00066F2D 0(for if the item was retrieved in between levels 10 - 20), or
SetQuestObject 00066FB6 0(for if the item was retrieved after level 20).
|To Help A Hero (SE34)|
|Stage||Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|5||I've recovered an unusual amulet with the markings of a group calling itself The Knights of the Thorn. On the back, there is an inscription that reads "To Pyke, from Farwil." I can only assume that Pyke is here in the Shivering Isles. If I can find him, I'm sure he will be happy to get his medallion back.|
|10||I've met a man named Pyke in the Hale Settlement. He claims to be something called a "Knight of the Thorn"; an elite group of knights from Cyrodiil. In a recent clash with some Grummites, he lost his Knights of the Thorn medallion and wants me to recover it from Fetid Grove, which he marked on my map.|
|20||I have arrived at Fetid Grove. I should seek out Pyke's medallion within.|
|30||I've recovered Pyke's Medallion. I should now return to the Hale Settlement and bring Pyke his missing property.|
|100||Pyke was overjoyed at the return of his Medallion, and has rewarded me with a gift.|
- Not all Journal Entries may appear in your journal; which entries appear and which entries do not depends on the manner in which the quest is done.
- Stages are not always in order of progress. This is usually the case with quests that have multiple possible outcomes or quests where certain tasks may be done in random order.
- If an entry is marked as "Finishes Quest" it means the quest disappears from the Active Quest list, but you may still receive new entries for that quest.
- It is possible to use the console to advance through the quest by entering
setstage SE34 stage, where
stageis the number of the stage you wish to complete. It is not possible to un-complete (i.e. go back) quest stages. See SetStage for more information.