Online:Tears of the Two Moons
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Online Quest Project.
The page is being both written and checked. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
- Talk to Gathwen.
- Talk to the skeleton at the courtyard's entrance.
- Disrupt the Wards to enter the Catacombs.
- Find Rurelion in the central courtyard, then disrupt the ritual.
- Follow the spirit further into the ruin.
- Make your choice.
An Expedition Gone Astray
Arriving on Khenarthi's Roost and speaking to Razum-dar will give you two objectives before heading to Mistral, one of which is to investigate the Temple of the Mourning Springs. While in Eagle's Strand, you may also run across Ealcil, a scholar studying a mysterious weeping stone taken from the temple. However, by merely passing within a certain distance of the temple, which is located on the east side of Khenarthi's Roost, Gathwen will approach you and ask for your help, starting the quest.
Gathwen will explain that, as part of an expedition from Eagle's Strand, she and her master, Rurelion, were exploring the temple. However, the others fled with undead started attacking them, and Gathwen was separated from Rurelion. He has not returned, and so she needs help searching for her master.
- "Please, I need your help. My master's life is in danger!"
- What happened?
- "I'm part of an expedition from Eagle's Strand. While we explored the Temple of the Mourning Springs, the dead began to rise. The others fled, but my master never emerged.
Rurelion taught me to know when I should ask for help. Well, I'm asking."
- What do you need me to do?
- "Two magical wards seal the temple, marked by emblems of a scorpion and a spider. If you can keep the undead away while I disrupt the wards, we can search for Rurelion together.
How about it?"
- All right. I'll help you disrupt the wards.
The only way inside the ruins is to disable the Scorpion and Spider Wards in the courtyard, so ascend the steps. The archway will be blocked by a skeleton in rags.
- Skeleton: "Hmm, you have such intricate stitching …."
Speak with it to find out what it wants.
- "Turn back. You aren't welcome here."
- What are you?
- "I'm whatever I wish to be. I change bodies like High Elves change clothes, though the corpses in this temple limit my wardrobe.
What does it matter to you? Why do you trespass?"
- We're looking for a man named Rurelion.
- "Ah, the name for my newest outfit.
His flesh sags a bit, though the power in his bones reminds me of my youth. And the robes … I'd forgotten the feel of silk upon newly won flesh."
- What did you do to Rurelion?
- "Set foot in this temple and see for yourself. Such commendable posture! I could definitely wear you in the autumn.
As for Rurelion … he's fit for display under full moons or new."
- Release Rurelion immediately.
Once the skeleton has revealed itself to be a spirit which steals bodies—including Rurelion's, it will fade away.
- Skeleton: "I tire of this. Leave or die, it matters not."
The Temple of the Mourning Springs
Enter the courtyard proper and find the Spider and Scorpion Wards on the south and north sides of the area, respectively. Many skeletons will attack you on the way, including warriors, archers and cryomancers. Examine the Wards and Gathwen, who has been following you, will disrupt them. Once both are disabled, the entrance to the Catacombs will open. It is a trapdoor on the western side of the courtyard there are more then one trapdoors to the Catacombs. They are guarded by more skeletons.
The Catacombs consist of a large room with a simple puzzle along one wall. There are four pillars with etchings on them; each pillar has a different symbol corresponding to a phase of the moons. To proceed, activate the pillars in order: New, Waxing, Full, Waning. They will light up if the correct sequence is followed; if not, you will get a mild shock (but no damage).
Once the barrier is deactivated, Gathwen will as you to talk with her before heading onward. She will remind you of Rurelion's importance to the Dominion as a whole.
- "When we entered the temple, that skeleton made it sound as though Rurelion was in grave danger.
I won't let vague threats keep us from my master, but Rurelion is too important to lose. Perhaps we should think before we act."
- Why is Rurelion so important?
- "The Dominion relies on Rurelion for his sound judgment. He's taught countless students the ways of magicka, including some of the Queen's own advisors. His role in the invasion is paramount for our future success.
If anything were to happen to him …."
- I'll do what I can to protect Rurelion.
- "Thank you. We should keep moving."
Once you enter the central ruins, Gathwen will comment that this was where the mourning stone was found, before she notices something else.
- Gathwen: "We found the Mourning Stone on that . Wait, that's Rurelion! What's he doing up there?"
You will find an Altmer standing like a statue atop a pedestal in this outdoors area. Speak with the identified Rurelion, though it will quickly become clear something is wrong.
- "Ears that large and you still don't listen? Perhaps you need a few alterations.
There was a time when the sound of Uldor's voice commanded the terror of thousands."
- Who is Uldor?
- "Why, I am. I'm Uldor! I see your "Dominion" teaches you nothing of my people.
I shouldn't bemoan your ignorance. You fools ended centuries of captivity when you removed the Mourning Stone."
- What is the Mourning Stone, exactly?
- "Never mind that accursed blue rock. I'm about to restore my wardrobe to its full glory.
Behold this Rurelion fellow. Such vibrancy! I could use more like him, but one must be willing to run through a bolt of silk for the finest coat."
- Free Rurelion, right now.
- "Oh, I believe I'll keep him. At least until my summoning ritual wears him through.
You see, undead are all so … beige. But I'm willing to adorn myself with hundreds of tawdry outfits in order to collect the more colorful garb at Eagle's Strand."
- I can't let you do that.
- "Then drown in a sea of bones!"
In summary, he is Uldor, an ancient Maormer sorcerer once sealed in the ruins, who was set free by Ealcil's removal of the Mourning Stone. He plans to take over the island, starting with Eagle's Strand. When you demand Rurelion's release, Uldor will summon skeletons from the bone piles surrounding the pedestal. It is up to you to defeat the rising dead while Gathwen uses her magic to disrupt the summoning. Once all four piles are sealed, Rurelion will attempt to wrest control from Uldor:
- Uldor: "Stay back!"
- Rurelion: "Uldor! Get out of my body, now!"
- Uldor: "Silence! None command Uldor!"
After the spirit hits you with a shock spell, Uldor will flee down the stairs into the Great Hall.
Resealing the Spirit
The Great Hall is populated by giant bats, but it also contains deadly spike traps in the floor, so dodge both dangers on your way to the far end of the hall, where Rurelion is taking back control back from Uldor.
- Rurelion: "Uldor, I command you! By the Tears of the Two Moons, return to your prison!"
- Uldor: "Ahh! That won't hold me for long!"
- Rurelion: "You're Gathwen's ally, yes? Please, disable these traps so she can make it to us safely."
Once the Altmer is himself again, disable the traps using the nearby lever. You can then talk to Rurelion to see how he is and what he knows about Uldor. He will reveal that he sensed Uldor's thoughts while being controlled: the Maormer plans to raise an undead army and enslave Khenarthi's Roost by "wearing" everyone at the same time. Rurelion will explain that Uldor's weakness is the Mourning Stone; therefore, the Mourning Stone must be restored to the temple.
- "Despite all my knowledge, Uldor's influence over me was absolute. I'd be little more than a puppet without your timely intervention."
- Are you hurt?
- "Only my pride. But we have a more pressing matter.
As Uldor sensed my thoughts, I could sense his. He plans to overwhelm and enslave Khenarthi's Roost with an undead horde by the next dawn!"
- How is that possible?
- "Uldor was a powerful Maormer wizard who learned to separate his spirit from his body, even in death. He can "wear" hundreds of mindless forms at a time.
Thankfully, I know his weakness."
- What weakness?
- "The Mourning Stone's endless water supply tied Uldor's spirit to his body. When Ealcil removed the Mourning Stone from the temple, he set Uldor free.
Once again, Ealcil's sloppy methods nearly cause the death of me."
- How do we restore Uldor's prison?
- "These gems focus the Mourning Stone's power. Uldor had me remove them from his tomb.
I propose Gathwen recovers the Mourning Stone from Eagle's Strand. Meanwhile, we restore Uldor's prison. Simple enough."
While you speak to him, he will hand the Tears of the Two Moons, a set of four stones that will be used to reseal Uldor. You can ask him more questions about the Mourning Stone and Uldor but if you are ready to proceed, tell him I'm ready to face Uldor. However, Gathwen will have arrived and she will strongly disagree with his plan.
- Gathwen: "Master, I know what you're planning. I won't let you throw your life away!"
When you talk to her she will tell you what Rurelion left out: he plans to seal himself away with Uldor to prevent his escape. Additionally, Gathwen will beg you to let her take her master's place, as Rurelion is important to the Dominion.
- "Rurelion's plan is to let Uldor possess him! They'll both be sealed in the tomb, forever.
But it doesn't need to be this way. Seal me inside."
- Why should you take your master's place?
- "Rurelion is too important for the Dominion to lose. Besides, we both saw how the summoning ritual weakened my master."
- I don't know about this.
- "Please, help me convince Rurelion! I will gladly seal myself in the tomb to spare my master. Uldor is a threat to all on this island."
"Thank you. I should prepare myself."
- I'm ready when you are.
If you elect to talk with Rurelion again before deciding, he won't want her to make the sacrifice.
- "We should hurry. Uldor won't be trapped for long."
- Gathwen wants to take your place in the tomb.
- "That's madness. I've experienced so many summers. My greatest accomplishment was watching Gathwen blossom into someone who'll far surpass my own deeds.
No, she must recover the Mourning Stone. You and I should confront Uldor."
"Then we should waste no more time."
- I'm ready.
"Then I'll respect her choice, no matter how much I disagree with it."
- I need a moment to consider this.
The decision is thus left up to you. Who to save: the young, full-of-promise Gathwen, or the valuable, but old Rurelion.
Whoever you choose, go up the stairs and enter Uldor's Tomb. In the main chamber, Rurelion/Gathwen will approach Uldor and deceive him into possessing them. Though he is held in place, Uldor will summon bolts of lightning to strike you as you move around the room, placing the Tears of the Two Moons on the four pedestals. The lightning can easily kill low-level players, but it is heralded by red circles where it will strike the ground, so avoid those. When all four tears are in place, spouts of water will surround Uldor's body, and Rurelion/Gathwen will be lying against the stone slab. Speak to them before heading out to the Great Hall.
- Uldor: "You! I won't wear a poisoned outfit."
- Rurelion: "I've reconsidered what our combined power could do, Uldor. I willingly give myself over."
- Uldor: "I knew such power would tempt you! Very well."
Uldor possesses Rurelion.
- Rurelion: "Hurry! Place the Tears of the Two Moons in the pedestals!"
Once the Uldor is resealed, Rurelion can be found next to the stone slab. Talk to him to say goodbye.
- "Go, quickly. I feel Uldor's weakness fade. Hurry, tell Gathwen of the plan's success. But don't mourn for me, friend. I earned a useful fate. Few can say the same."
- What will happen to you?
- "Uldor will sustain me. Better a living form than a dusty old skeleton, I suppose. I'd hoped for more time to meditate, but this wasn't what I had in mind.
Goodbye, my friend. You're what all in the Dominion should aspire to be."
- Farewell, Rurelion.
- Uldor: "You! I won't wear a poisoned outfit."
- Gathwen: "Uldor, my master was a fool to doubt your power. I'll help you wreak the vengeance you seek, if you allow me."
- Uldor: "Such a spectacular, willing garment! Very well."
Uldor possesses Gathwen.
- Gathwen: "I can't fight him for long! Quickly, place the Tears of the Two Moons in the pedestals!"
Once you have placed the stones, you can say farewell to an exhausted Gathwen.
- "The water weakens Uldor, but I can't hold him for long. Quickly, go to Rurelion. Tell him I did what must be done."
- What about you?
- "I know Uldor will keep me alive. He far prefers a living form to the dead. Strange, how can I know this?
I feel him stirring within me. Help Rurelion restore the Mourning Stone. Go, while you still can!"
- Farewell, Gathwen.
Back in the Great Hall
Once you have returned the Great Hall, the survivor of the duo will be waiting for you. While you were gone, they restored the Mourning Stone—finally sealing Uldor and the willing sacrifice away for good. Both of them will mentioned they will try to find a way to free their friend.
If Rurelion was sacrificed, Gathwen will be waitng for you.
- "It's done, isn't it? Rurelion is sealed inside with that monster."
- Rurelion saved everyone on this island.
- "Forgive me. Uldor couldn't be allowed to roam free. Something had to be done, and you had the strength to see what I could not."
- What will you do now?
- "I'll ensure the Mourning Stone remains guarded at all times. I should make a full report so the Dominion understands the danger of Uldor's capabilities."
- What about Rurelion?
- "No good comes from dwelling on the past. Rurelion lives, which means there's hope. He's a great man, a good man. I don't care how long it takes. I'll find a way to free him from that monster."
Likewise, if Gathwen was left in the tomb, Rurelion will be there.
- "We've restored the Mourning Stone. But if you're here, then Gathwen is lost to that monster."
- She saved everyone on this island from Uldor.
- "You speak truth, and yet the young should never die for the old. It is the singular travesty of war."
- What will you do now?
- "I need to record everything that happened here. Uldor's skill troubles me. Without further study, the Dominion will bear no defense against his strange capabilities."
- What about Gathwen?
- "I've rarely encountered a creature of Uldor's power. There may be a way to separate him from Gathwen, but it will take much time and study.
She's not just an apprentice, she's my friend. If there's a way to free her, I swear I'll find it."
After receiving some gold and the Mourning Bow as a reward, you can speak with the surviving mage and they can make a portal for you to return to the temple courtyard. Many freed spirits will be gathered there now that Uldor is gone.
- The quests indicated above as Previous Quest/Next Quest are not mandatory. This quest can be 'standalone'.
- No matter who you choose to stay with Uldor, the other will work with Ealcil to free them and will eventually be successful.
|Tears of the Two Moons|
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|We should enter the temple courtyard and see what we can find of Rurelion.
Objective: Enter the Temple Courtyard
|A skeleton spoke to us as we approached the temple courtyard.
Objective: Talk to the Skeleton
|The skeleton warned us away, claiming Rurelion is being held inside the temple. Gathwen told me magical wards block the temple entrance. I should look for spider and scorpion emblems marking the wards so she can disrupt them.
Objective: Disrupt the Temple Wards
Objective Hint: Spider Ward
Objective Hint: Scorpion Ward
|Gathwen destroyed the wards blocking entrance to the temple. We need to enter the temple's catacombs to search for her master.
Objective: Enter the Temple Catacombs
|A strange barrier seals the door leading further into the temple. Gathwen thinks the cycle of both moons is key to breaking the seal.
Objective Hint: Solve the Puzzle
Objective: Disrupt the Barrier
|I broke the barrier leading further into the temple, but Gathwen wants to speak with me before we proceed.
Objective: Talk to Gathwen
|Gathwen fears her master is in grave danger. She urges caution as we proceed to the temple's central ruins.
Objective: Find Rurelion
|Rurelion appears to be possessed by a spirit named Uldor, who plans to raise an undead army. Harming Uldor would harm Rurelion. To avoid this, Gathwen and I must stop Uldor's summoning ritual.
Objective: Disrupt Uldor's Summoning Ritual
|We stopped the summoning ritual, but Uldor fled with Rurelion's body. I should chase him while Gathwen recovers from her exertions.
Objective: Confront Uldor
|I followed Rurelion into the temple's great hall, which is lined with deadly traps. I should find a way to disable the traps.
Objective: Disable the Traps
|Rurelion forced Uldor out of his body and into a nearby tomb, but the solution seemed temporary. I should speak with Rurelion about making it permanent.
Objective: Talk to Rurelion
|The water crystal once residing in the temple - the "Mourning Stone" - is key to sealing Uldor back in his tomb. Rurelion thinks the only solution is to seal himself in the tomb, but Gathwen disagrees. I should ask her for her alternative.
Objective: Talk to Gathwen
|Gathwen volunteered to seal herself in the tomb with Uldor in place of her master. With little time before the spirit frees itself, I must decide who will be locked away with Uldor forever.
Complete one: Let Uldor Claim Rurelion or Let Uldor Claim Gathwen
|I decided to bring Rurelion/Gathwen with me to Uldor's tomb. While the spirit is distracted, I will seal them both away forever.
Objective: Seal Uldor's Tomb
Objective Hint: Let Uldor Claim Gathwen/Rurelion
Once Uldor attempts to claim Rurelion/Gathwen as a puppet, I need to place the Tears of the Two Moons in pedestals around the tomb. Placing all four will seal them both in the tomb.
Objective: Seal Uldor's Tomb
I need to place the Tears of the Two Moons in pedestals around the tomb. Doing so will seal Uldor away forever.
Objective Hint: Place the Tears of the Two Moons on Pedestals
|I placed the Tears of the Two Moons in their pedestals, sealing Uldor in his tomb. I should say goodbye to Rurelion/Gathwen before I depart.
Objective: Talk to Rurelion/Gathwen
|Uldor and Rurelion/Gathwen are now sealed in the Tomb of the Waning Moons. I should speak to Gathwen/Rurelion before I depart.
Objective: Talk to Gathwen/Rurelion at the Great Hall
|Prev: Storm on the Horizon||Up: Aldmeri Dominion
Conc: Cast Adrift
|Next: The Perils of Diplomacy|