|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Online Quest Project.
The page is being both written and checked. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
- Find Vareldur's Journal inside Del's Claim.
- Travel to Mathiisen and find one of several people who knew Vareldur.
- Follow their directions to Vareldur's mother.
A Boy's Last Words
- "Mother, I don't know if you'll ever read this. I should never have left Mathiisen. The Veiled Heritance isn't the honorable cause I thought it was. Some of them are real patriots. But most are just brutes. I can't do this anymore."
- <Read the second entry.>
- "We're going to Del's Claim tonight. The old mine near South Beacon. They're going to kill the miners. I can't let them do that, can I? I have to stop them. Somehow. I love you, mother. Always know, I love you.
- <Take the Journal.>
Reading it will reveal it to be the last writings of a young member of the Veiled Heritance who began experiencing doubts about their methods and membership. When he learned they were planning to murder the inhabitants of the mine to take it over, he was compelled to stand up against it, and was slain by his former compatriots. With Vareldur's Journal in hand, you can deliver it to his mother. To do so, travel northeast across Auridon to their hometown of Mathiisen.
Finding the Mother
Once in Mathiisen, head to the market square in the southwest area of town. There are several likely candidates you can speak to in order to try and find Vareldur's mother.
This Khajiit is not a local, and has no information for you: "That name is not familiar, no. This one has been too busy not selling anything to learn the local's names."
Aonus will be immediately helpful, and point out the mother directly: "Sure, I know Vareldur! Why, his mother is just over there by the targets!"
This downcast Altmer will respectfully rebuff your conversation: "I'm sorry, but I don't really feel like talking. I've been trying to find a quiet minute all day. I need to pray for my son. He's missing, you see." You can then ask her:
- Your son? Are you related to Vareldur?
Breaking the News
No matter who you speak to initially, you will have to give the bad news to Iriel the same way:
- I'm sorry. Your son is dead. I found this journal near his body.
- "He's what? No! Let me see that! I told him not to join those fools! Why didn't he listen? He figured out the truth for himself, in the end. I can be proud of my boy. That's not enough, but it'll have to do."
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|Perhaps I should travel to Mathiisen, and try to find this man's mother.
Objective: Go to Mathiisen
|I've reached Mathiisen. I should ask around to see if anyone knows Vareldur, and who his mother might be.
Objective: Find Someone That Knew Vareldur
|Now that I've located Vareldur's mother, Iriel, I should let her know that her son died opposing the Veiled Heritance in Del's Claim.
Objective: Talk to Iriel