Oblivion:The Wandering Scholar
- Receive this quest from Azzan in Anvil.
- Protect the scholar Elante of Alinor from the Daedra in Brittlerock Cave.
- Guide the scholar to the shrine within.
- Return to Azzan for your reward.
Receive the Quest
Speak with Azzan in Anvil, who tells you that Elante of Alinor wishes to study a Daedric shrine and has contacted the Fighters Guild for protection. Travel to Brittlerock Cave, northwest of Kvatch and due east of Fort Sutch. Elante will be waiting inside.
There are basically two possible ways to proceed now.
- Speak to Elante and she will begin to walk through the cave. Follow her closely (or stay just far enough ahead of her to be able to react if she turns) and kill any monsters you meet.
- This is the riskier option as there is a strong possibility that Elante will be killed, however she can both fight and heal herself so her death is not inevitable. She will walk slowly until she sees an enemy and then run towards it with weapon drawn, so the real danger is her getting in the way of your attacks or spells. Summoning your own ally and/or commanding one of the monsters (or Dremora) to help you will make a big difference.
- For a safer experience, don't speak with Elante at all for the moment. Go straight past her and kill all the Daedra in the cave. Note that the cave has a second section, Brittlerock Lower Passages. Elante will not enter that area, so it is not necessary to kill the monsters inside. After the cave is clear, return and talk to Elante and she can proceed unharmed.
- Alternatively, Elante will only follow you if you are within a certain distance from her. Even if you start conversation with her and have her leading the way, just run far enough ahead of her and she will stop, allowing you to clear out the areas ahead.
Elante will stop when she reaches the shrine. Talk to her again and she will tell you that she wishes to stay at the shrine, but you are free to go. She'll also give you 2920, Morning Star (v1) - a Blade skill book. You cannot retrieve the skill book from her corpse - the only way to get it is if she lives.
Return to Azzan. If Elante survived, Azzan will give you the standard level-dependent gold reward and one Fame point. If she died, you will receive neither the gold nor the fame. If you have already completed The Fugitives, Azzan will promote you to the rank of Guardian and send you to Modryn Oreyn in Chorrol for your next quest - Trolls of Forsaken Mine. Otherwise, you will first need to talk to Burz gro-Khash in Cheydinhal to do The Fugitives.
- If Elante doesn't talk to you after you arrive at the shrine, enter and exit the Brittlerock Lower Passages. When you exit she will say the right dialogue, allowing you to finish the quest successfully.
- If Elante won't follow you after entering the small chamber in the corridor before the one that leads to the shrine, exit the cave, then get back in. She will leave the chamber and head towards the shrine.
|The Wandering Scholar (FGC04Scholar)|
|Stage||Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|10||Azzan has given me a contract to escort Elante of Alinor, a scholar doing research on Daedra. I am to meet her at the entrance to Brittlerock Cave, northeast of, and protect her while she explores inside.|
|20||I've found Elante of Alinor in Brittlerock Cave. She tells me that she would like to travel to the bottom of this cave complex, as she has heard there is a Daedric Shrine there. She will lead the way, and I will protect her.|
|30||Elante of Alinor has reached the Daedric shrine, and is ready to leave Brittlerock Cave.|
|40||Elante of Alinor wishes to remain in Brittlerock and continue studying the shrine. I should return to Azzan for my payment.|
|90||Elante of Alinor has died. I should report this to Azzan.|
|100||Azzan was pleased with my efforts escorting Elante of Alinor. He has paid out the contract to me.|
|110||Azzan was unhappy that I allowed harm to come to Elante of Alinor.|
- Not all Journal Entries may appear in your journal; which entries appear and which entries do not depends on the manner in which the quest is done.
- Stages are not always in order of progress. This is usually the case with quests that have multiple possible outcomes or quests where certain tasks may be done in random order.
- If an entry is marked as "Finishes Quest" it means the quest disappears from the Active Quest list, but you may still receive new entries for that quest.
- It is possible to use the console to advance through the quest by entering
setstage FGC04Scholar stage, where
stageis the number of the stage you wish to complete. It is not possible to un-complete (i.e. go back) quest stages. See SetStage for more information.
|Prev: Oblivion:Azani Blackheart (quest)||Up: Fighters Guild||Next: The Fugitives or
Trolls of Forsaken Mine