- Speak with Valus Odiil about his sons.
- Find and talk to his sons.
- Defend the sons from the goblins.
- After the three waves of goblins, return to Valus.
- Receive your reward.
Meet Valus Odiil in The Grey Mare in Chorrol and agree to help him and his sons defend his farm.
Find the Sons
Find and talk to his sons, Rallus Odiil and Antus Odiil, outside the Weynon Priory east of town. Antus becomes disappointed when he hears Valus is not coming. Follow the sons a bit east down the road to their Odiil Farm, past the farmhouse, and wait with them at their vegetable patch. Not long after they reach the vegetable patch, three waves of goblins will attack, two of three and one of four. The exact level and type of goblins will depend on your level. The sons are hardy, but they can easily fall if you aren't careful. Keep an especially close eye on Antus, who tends to rush into battle. If you have completed the Purification quest for the Dark Brotherhood, Shadowmere is a useful ally to have during this fight, as she can draw attacks from several goblins at once, preventing the brothers from being overwhelmed.
Check the farmhouse after the battle to find a Nirnroot (see quest Seeking Your Roots) in a pot (also note there are a lot of vegetables in the garden that are yours for the taking). Once all the goblins are dead, return to Valus in the tavern. Your reward if both sons survive is a leveled enchanted one-handed blade, Chillrend. If only one survives you'll receive 150 gold. If both die you'll receive nothing.
- It is possible for an Oblivion Gate to open close to the farm, making it extremely difficult to keep the brothers alive when Daedra come swarming out. It helps to deal with the Oblivion Gate before you start the quest.
- If you talk to any Chorrol Guard after starting the quest, but before finishing it, he'll tell you "Aye, we've heard the old man's story. Nothing to back it up, though, except the word of those two kids of his. No real evidence. Even if it was true, it's out in the forest somewhere. We need to keep what's inside the town walls safe, not go running around outside them." This is later brought up again by Rallus, who claims that "The guards claim there's no evidence of them, so they won't lift a finger. That's why we have to be the ones to deal with them." Note that these dialogues are unique to both Rallus and the Chorrol Guards.
- If you have the Staff of Worms and either one (or both) of the brothers die during the fight, you can reanimate them and the father will give you the reward as if they hadn't perished.
- Not all Journal Entries may appear in your journal; which entries appear and which entries do not depends on the manner in which the quest is done.
- Stages are not always in order of progress. This is usually the case with quests that have multiple possible outcomes or quests where certain tasks may be done in random order.
- If an entry is marked as "Finishes Quest" it means the quest disappears from the Active Quest list, but you may still receive new entries for that quest.
- It is possible to use the console to advance through the quest by entering
setstage MS18 stage, where
stage is the number of the stage you wish to complete. It is not possible to un-complete (i.e. go back) quest stages. See SetStage for more information.