Daggerfall:The Abducted Child
- Talk to a Merchant or an Innkeeper.
- Travel to the town which was mentioned to you.
- Enter the residence and grab the child.
- Deal with any attacking assassins.
- Return to your employer within the time limit and collect your reward.
Speak to a merchant or innkeeper, who says:
- "I am desperate. The Dark Brotherhood has taken my child (child's name) and will kill (him/her) if I do not pay a ransom. I do not have enough to buy (his/her) freedom, but I can pay you (random gold) gold pieces if you will free (him/her)."
- "My child, my poor (child's name) is gone, stolen away by the Dark Brotherhood for (random god) knows what hideous purpose. You must help me, (player's first name). I'll give you all I have, (random gold) gold, if you will bring my child back home to me."
The merchant or innkeeper goes on:
- "You are my savior! My name is (employer's name). Quickly now, for you only have (time limit) days before they kill (child's name). (He/She) is being held in (residence) in (town)."
The merchant or innkeeper answers:
- "This is a dark day for me. (child's name) will surely be slain by the Dark Brotherhood. May (his/her) ghost haunt you for the rest of your days!"
Finding the Child
Head to the town and ask for the residence until you have its location, then enter the building. The door may be locked, so be prepared to pick the lock or otherwise gain entrance. When you do, you will receive the message:
The (residence) is dark and ominous. It is certain that enemies lurk everywhere.
The kidnapped child is somewhere within; search every room until you locate them. When you find and speak to the child, you will hear:
- "Are you here to rescue me? My name is (child's name). I don't like these people. Please take me back to my family."
Once the child is following you, some assassins from the Dark Brotherhood may appear and attack you. Upon hitting one for the first time, you will hear:
- "No one messes with the Dark Brotherhood and lives!"
Kill any assassins and head back to your employer to receive your reward.
When you return with the child, your employer will be overjoyed and say:
- "(Child's name)! You are alive and well! (Player's first name), I owe you a debt that can never be fully repaid. This modest reward is the least that I can give you."
A successfully completed quest results in a reputation gain according to the table below.
|Questgiver's associated factions||+2|
A failed quest (time limit expired) results in a reputation loss according to the table below.
|Questgiver's associated factions||-1|
If you complete the quest successfully, you will lose reputation withe the Dark Brotherhood as shown below.
- 4x One Assassin every two in-game minutes (30% chance) once you enter the house the child is held captive
While this quest is in progress and you talk to the quest giver without the child, they may say:
- "Why haven't you brought (child's name) back yet? If you would save (his/her) life, go now!"
After you have accepted this quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "The Dark Brotherhood has gone too far this time. Kidnapping (employer's name)'s child is unforgivable."
If you fail the quest, NPCs may say any of the following when asked for any news:
- "I don't think that (employer's name) will survive the season. (He/She)'ll probably commit suicide. You did hear that the Dark Brotherhood kidnapped and slew (his/her) child (child's name)?"[verification needed]
If you successfully complete the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "You're that (player's race) that rescued baby (child's name)! What a hero."
If you successfully completed the quest, the quest giver may say to you:
- "The savior of my child! I thank you and (child's name) thanks you for saving (his/her) life. Bless you (player's first name)."
If you failed the quest, the quest giver will say to you:
- "My child (child's name) is dead because of you! Never darken my doorway again."
|The Abducted Child (a0c10y02)|
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|0||On (date), (employer's name) told me of the heartbreaking kidnapping of (child's name) by the Dark Brotherhood. I immediately agreed to rescue (him/her) from (residence) in (town). (His/Her) family will wait (time limit) days for my return to (employer's building) in (employer's town).|