Chaurus are medium to large hostile earwig-like creatures found in swamps, marshlands, and deep underground caverns. They vigorously project a strong acidic poison (spell Chaurus Spit, 7 pts for 7 seconds}}), which can eat through most armor pretty quickly. They can cling to walls and have large amounts of health. Chaurus are often found in the company of Falmer, who breed them for their chitin. Chaurus Hunters and Chaurus Hunter Fledglings (along with Chaurus Cocoons) appear after the Dawnguard add-on is installed, and have apparently transformed from a regular Chaurus.
In a recipe book for chaurus pie, the author recommends that if hunting them, you should "get yourself some good armor and a nice big sword, and [...] some stout men who won't run off at the first sign of trouble." The suggestion to use melee force against them seems well-founded, because they are less likely to poison you with their melee attacks. Some additional strategies include:
- Defending yourself with the resist poison effect (only useful if applied before poison damage begins)
- Addressing poison damage as quickly as possible after you are hit, with cure poison potions
- Poisoning your own weapon repeatedly with toxins you can create, find, or buy, especially if you have powerful effects available such as Weakness to Poison, Slow, Paralyze, etc.
|Chaurus Hunter FledglingDG
- Chaurus eggs may be harvested from egg sacs within a nest, and are occasionally dropped by dead chaurus. A large chaurus nest is located in Frostflow Lighthouse.
- Poison continues to work over time. If you've been hit, watch your health level even after you have killed a chaurus, or your last laugh may be short-lived.