Skyrim talk:Fetch me that Book!
- 1 Console Command
- 2 These are not really unique books
- 3 Problem with Hanging Gardens. Does the location of the books really random?
- 4 Found book without quest
- 5 the Notes section
- 6 Number of Times
- 7 Completing Fetch me that Book Bugs solution.
- 8 Does this include dungeons added by Dawnguard and Dragonborn DLCs?
- 9 There appears to be rhyme and reason to the "random"
- 10 Blood-kin
- 11 Book Glories and Laments
- 12 Prequest bug fixed by latest patch?
- 13 Not able to get this quest
- 14 Copies added by mods
- 15 Finding Book Before Quest Bug
I was able to successfully use the player.setstage command to complete the quest to get around the glitch that comes from already having the book when you get the quest. In my case it was Fragment: On Artaeum --184.108.40.206 00:23, 5 December 2011 (UTC)
These are not really unique books
I found a copy of Chimarvamidium in the alcove to Ivarstead where there is a troll and two dead bodies of Stormclocks. I found that book on the body of one of them. That book was not flagged as a quest as I could drop it. The quest status did not update. So I guess it may worth a mention in the page, that you can find another copy of the book somewhere as a lucky loot.--220.127.116.11 10:50, 9 December 2011 (UTC)
Problem with Hanging Gardens. Does the location of the books really random?
This should be add to the "Bugs" section : Before I got the quest (even before I went to the College), I found a copy of Hanging Gardens in Valtheim Towers. I kept the book with me for no reason. Then the orc mage gave me the quest to retrieve Hanging Gardens(!) from the Valtheim Towers(!). The book in my inventory became a Quest item (or it was already, didn't check before) and I cannot give it to the questgiver. The arrow is still pointing at the chest in Valtheim Towers.
Maybe I'm very unlucky, or maybe the books are bound to specific dungeons. -Kote 13:34, 20 December 2011 (UTC)
- I have the exact problem with the book "The Legendary Scourge"... Since it's about Malacath and Volendrung, I realized I had it in my inventory when I was doing the mission "The Cursed Tribe", so I thought it was part of the quest... but nooo, I looks like I got the book from Ansilvund before, precisely where Urag gro-Shub told me where I could find it... Now I'll have it forever and I'll never had another fetch me that book mission, because I'm in PS3 :( Audrey Gally talk 16:57, 19 October 2012 (GMT)
- Omg, then maybe I don't have the latest patch... but I'm pretty sure I have everything, otherwise the system would told me, right? Then, I don't know, maybe it's the devil, I still have that damn book in my inventory XP Audrey Gally talk 23:34, 19 October 2012 (GMT)
- The 1.9 patch only fixes the issue where you pick up the actual copy (quest coded version) of the book in the boss chest in a random radiant dungeon before receiving the quest from Urag. As far as I am aware, the patch does not fix the issue where you pick up another copy of that book elsewhere (i.e. it is not the one specifically coded as the quest item to complete this miscellaneous task). It seems these are two unrelated bugs with this quest and only one of the issues was fixed with the patch.--Blackpete (talk) 11:06, 4 October 2013 (GMT)
(←) Before the 1.9 patch, a book was generated for this quest at the start of the game, coded as a quest item, and placed in a random dungeon somewhere. Now there is no such book generated until you talk to Urag. (I tested it, Urag gave me a book for a dungeon I'd just cleared on one playthrough.) That's the difference.
The business of non-quest-item versions of books appearing that aren't the designated book that Urag wants isn't a problem with the quest per se, although they can be confusing. But you still get pointed at the right dungeon boss chest if you've got one of them.
Found book without quest
I found book Wild Elves without even visiting Collage of Winterhold. It is marked as quest item and I cannot get rid of it without console. Is this Bug and did someone else had same problem. --Aleksa 20:20, 20 December 2011 (UTC)
- You can find any of them prior to starting the quest, but sometimes he won't accept them if you don't get them via the quest. I.e. I obtained The Old Ways, then much later got the quest, the quest pointed me to the chest it was originally in, but of course it wasn't in there (since it was in my inventory) and thus I had to use the console to complete that quest. Rhyono 03:07, 21 December 2011 (UTC)
- I found that book too, and the quest broke for me when he later asked me to find it. Unlike what it says on the article page, waiting for the dungeon to respawn does NOT fix this. I just cleared Ansilvund for a 2nd time after he asked me for the Wild Elves, and the book was not in the chest where the quest marker was pointing. I didn't test out whether finding the book elsewhere would work; I just fixed it with the console. Deandra 07:46, 21 December 2011 (UTC)
- The solution for PC only usin the command player.drop 0001ad0f "quantity" where quantity is the number of books stacked in your inventory, this command will drop the books on the ground and when you pick them up again it will update the quest in the journal and you can deliver the book to complete the quest. — Unsigned comment by 18.104.22.168 (talk) at 01:45 on 30 June 2012
(←) I was thinking, the solution for console users could be to get jailed and escape without taking books back from the trunk? What happens to the quest if the signal remains on the cave where it should be once you get the quest from Urag? This method could work for other objects stuck in the inventory? — Unsigned comment by 22.214.171.124 (talk) at 12:54 on 27 November 2012
- Are there really no other way of completing the quest without use of the console if you find the book before the quest? I am currently carrying Brothers of Darkness around to no use, and I really do hate to have to break the roleplaying by using console! :-( —MortenOSlash (talk) 18:26, 28 November 2012 (GMT)
- Have just tried this after getting stuck with Wolf Qeen v6, it does not work. You get all quest items back automatically once you exist the cell the jail is in and they are never stored in the chests to begin with, you get them back even if you dont retrieve your gear before leaving. Im guessing they never really leave your inventory but are just made inaccessible. --126.96.36.199 19:05, 8 January 2013 (GMT)
I returned a book to Urag, asked for the next quest, he gave me Chimarvamidium but immediately the top left said found it and return to Urag. But I can't tell him I have the book. I have the Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch, I think latest v3.0.7. My copy of the book is marked as stolen, is that a different problem and the reason I can't give it to Urag? -- Skierpage (talk) 02:25, 26 January 2017 (UTC)
the Notes section
the notes section needs to name the 2 different quests, so that people with a bugged inventory quest book can know which to use when they come to this page — Unsigned comment by 188.8.131.52 (talk) at 21:44 on 17 February 2012
Number of Times
How many times does he offer the quest? Is it one time per book and once you've found each of them for him he won't give the quest to you anymore, or does he make you find the same books over and again? I wanna know because I am an avid book collector and I don't want to end up always having to avoid picking up the books he asks you to get outside of the quests because I won't be able to store them afterwards because they are still quest items. WolfMaster91 00:08, 3 August 2012 (UTC)
- One of my characters who has done a number of these has been sent for both "Chimarvamidium" and "Glories and Laments" at least twice each. I expect any in the list could repeat.Lottery Discountz 00:42, 9 August 2012 (UTC)
Completing Fetch me that Book Bugs solution.
If one receives this quest before becoming the Arch-Mage, and then finds that the quest is unable to complete, ignore it until you have become Arch-Mage and then go to Urag gro-Shub to complete it. This will work for all three book quests. 184.108.40.206 03:08, 22 December 2012 (GMT) Balstrome
- No, it does not work on "Fetch me that Book!". I still do not get any option to give the prematurely found "Brothers of Darkness" to Urag gro-Shub, even after having been Arch-Mage for quite some time now. —MortenOSlash (talk) 10:40, 22 December 2012 (GMT)
Does this include dungeons added by Dawnguard and Dragonborn DLCs?
I'm just thinking, does this also include added by Dawnguard and Dragonborn DLCs? If there's no marker for this quest and if Dragonborn is installed, can the book be possibly in Solstheim? — Unsigned comment by EmperorZurg454 (talk • contribs) at 01:44 on 21 May 2013 (GMT)
- I would think so. However I haven't yet had any books in Solstheim. --Morrolan (talk) 12:30, 11 July 2013 (GMT)
There appears to be rhyme and reason to the "random"
I swear in all my playthroughs the book he wants is in the same few places all the time. At least for the first few, as I never do too many. I've had to retrieve "glories and laments" from Bloated Man's Grotto so many times I've lost count. 80% of the time this is my first book and first location. I would be willing to bet individual games have some sort of set schedule for different locations. Or something is wrong with mine, anyone else notice similar events?--220.127.116.11 03:23, 26 July 2013 (GMT)
- Certain quests only send you to places that meet the normal conditions, plus are in a hold you have already been to, which may account for this if it applies to this quest (not really sure). There's a similar discussion about this sort of thing here. — ABCface◥ 21:45, 15 September 2013 (GMT)
Book Glories and Laments
This book is unique and found in the emperor's ship. This ship only appears for an assassain;s guild quest thus not available if the option to eliminate the guild is taken. — Unsigned comment by 18.104.22.168 (talk) at 08:52 on 12 November 2013 (GMT)
- This quest creates a special copy of the book that Urag wants with a unique ID. He won't take any other copy of the book, just the one that is in the designated spot. There are a lot of otherwise unique books that Urag may ask for, Glories and Laments is one of them. (Although I think I've seen it in Apocrypha; Dragonborn has made a number of previously-unique books no longer unique.) --Morrolan (talk) 20:25, 30 December 2013 (GMT)
Prequest bug fixed by latest patch?
I just got the bug where you find the book before the quest, and, since I was playing on PC, went to Urag, figuring I could complete the quest using the console. However, when I triggered the quest, I got a message "[book] removed" and when I went back to the dungeon, the the book was where it was supposed to be! Can anyone else verify this?Bookwyrm1357 (talk) 23:26, 28 December 2013 (GMT)
- I can confirm this to be true. I did the same thing as Bookwyrm and it removed the quest related book from my inventory. Dragon-Blood (talk) 01:44, 14 June 2014 (GMT)
Not able to get this quest
I've noticed I fell fowl of the bug when I picked up a book before getting the quest on my last player, however with my current player I haven't got any quest books nor does he have the speech option to ask if there is anything I can do to help. Is this a known problem, or is there something I need to do/shouldn't do. I'm already arch mage and am blood-kin to the Orcs. I've never had problems before and have collected many books in the past without an issue Biffa (talk) 12:15, 5 October 2014 (GMT)
- Cant say I've ever had that happen to me, but I've found that many bugs and issues can often be solved by either a simple save-reload, game reset, loading a much earlier game, of course if your on the PC theres always the console if you know the commands, as always make sure you have the latest official patches, and the unofficial patch for the PC can be a big help, some mods can interfere with seemingly unrelated parts of the game, beyond that not much more i think of, Skyrim, if not all games can suddenly decide to act strangely for no reason on one save, but be fine on another. Lord Walnut (talk) 12:29, 5 October 2014 (GMT)
Copies added by mods
So, with this quest, Urag told me to go get a copy of The Old Ways. The copy he wants me to get is in Lost Echo Cave. However, I happened to find a copy lying about in a house added by a mod. It's the same book, and the mod author certainly didn't create a different version of it, but Urag won't accept it. What I'm not sure of, however, is if this is because the book had a RefID starting with something that certainly wasn't
00 or because Urag specifically wants the copy he points you towards. Schiffy (Speak to me|What I've done) 19:00, 17 May 2015 (GMT)
- Going by what is said in other posts here, you do need to get the copy he points you towards. Whether thats because it has a unique ref or just because he won't take any other copies until the quest is updated by your finding of the copy needs looked at. Silence is GoldenBreak the Silence 19:23, 17 May 2015 (GMT)
- I tried comparing its Aliases in the CK to quests like Skilled Apprenticeship and Rare Gifts. What I found was that Urag's quest specifically has an alias called BookLocation, and one called BookContainer. I'm not certain, but this does lead me to believe that the quest is geared to only update when the book is retrieved from Urag's specified location. Someone may want to double-check my reasoning. Schiffy(Talk) 05:30, 18 May 2015 (GMT)
Finding Book Before Quest Bug
I'm unclear on the latest bug: does the entire bug occur only if you have the unofficial patch, or just the message about returning it? If it's the entire bug, then the bug note should be removed; we only document fixes by the unofficial patch, not bugs with the patch itself. Those should be reported here. – Robin Hood (talk) 16:47, 27 October 2016 (UTC)