Volkihar Courtyard Passage (not repaired)
Volkihar Courtyard is the courtyard attached to Castle Volkihar and Volkihar Keep.
Volkihar Courtyard Passage (repaired)
It is first encountered during the quest Chasing Echoes. After fighting your way through the Volkihar Undercroft, you come across the courtyard, which then leads to the Volkihar Ruins. You first come out of the Undercroft along the southernmost wall, having the moon dial directly in front of you in the center of the courtyard. Off to the west lies the ruined passage leading from the courtyard to the main body of the castle (which can be repaired—see notes). There is a small pond to the northwest surrounded by four Nordic barnacle clusters, some spiky grass plants, and some miscellaneous mushrooms. To the east is Valerica's garden, containing deathbells, nightshades, all colors of mountain flowers, dragon's tongues, and a snowberry. Finally, there are two ruined towers containing minor loot and more skeletons, one lying to the north and one to the east (aptly named Volkihar North Tower and Volkihar East Tower).
- If you complete the quest Kindred Judgement for the Volkihar, you can repair the passage from Volkihar Keep to the courtyard by speaking to Garan Marethi. The passage will be fixed the next time you enter the keep. If the quest was completed for the Dawnguard, you must continue to use the undercroft to access the courtyard.
- If you go to the Soul Cairn after the questline is complete and inform Valerica of Harkon's death, she will return to Castle Volkihar and replant her garden.
- The following ingredients are found in the courtyard:
- The walls surrounding the courtyard may become invisible upon entry.
- This bug is fixed by version 2.0.1 of the Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.
- This can be fixed by setting the Object Fade slider to roughly the middle.