|Location||Castle of the Worm,The Harborage,Heart's Grief|
|Follower||Castle of the Worm, Halls of Torment (optionally), Shadow of Sancre Tor, God of Schemes|
- 1 Related Quests
- 2 Dialogue
- 2.1 Main Quest
- 2.2 Elsweyr Prologue
- 3 Gallery
- 4 Notes
Abnur Tharn is an Imperial battlemage who served as the head of the Elder Council. His dealings with Molag Bal and Mannimarco helped to give rise to the Planemeld, though he did not comply with them entirely willingly, and soon after seeks asylum when he learns that they may soon plan to dispose of him. He is the father of Clivia Tharn, Empress Regent of Cyrodiil. Abnur Tharn is 165 years old, has had at least sixteen children, seven wives, and has served as Chancellor of the Elder Council for 117 years.
Following the climax of the Main Quest, Meridia says that he fled to Cyrodiil with the Amulet of Kings. He later returns to enlist your help in finding a weapon in the Halls of Colossus before his younger half-sister Euraxia, the self-proclaimed queen of Rimmen, can obtain it.
- The Harborage: Explore visions of the past with the Prophet.
- Daughter of Giants: Rescue Lyris Titanborn from her Coldharbour prison.
- Chasing Shadows: Locate the agent of evil lurking in a nearby city.
- Castle of the Worm: Grant a request for asylum from a prisoner in the Castle of the Worm.
- The Tharn Speaks: Help the Chancellor uncover some new information at a Worm Cult lair.
- Halls of Torment: Save the missing companion from the Halls of Torment.
- Valley of Blades: Retrieve the Ring of Stendarr's Mercy from the Valley of Blades.
- Shadow of Sancre Tor: Retrieve the Amulet of Kings from its hiding place.
- Council of the Five Companions: Join the Five Companions and prepare for the final confrontation with Molag Bal.
- God of Schemes: Use the power of the Amulet of Kings to defeat Molag Bal.
- The Demon Weapon: Assist Abnur Tharn in locating a mysterious weapon that could end the Three Banners War.
- The Halls of Colossus: Find the demon weapon hidden in the Halls of Colossus before Euraxia Tharn does.
During the flashback of the Prophet's story, you will witness Tharn perform the ritual to turn Emperor Varen Aquilarios into a dragonborn.
- Varen Aquilarios: "There it is. The Dragonfire brazier. Mannimarco, you're certain this will work?"
- Mannimarco: "It will work, my liege. The Amulet of Kings will rekindle the Dragonfires, and ensure your rightful place as Emperor. You have my word."
- Lyris Titanborn: "It better work, Mannimarco, or you'll find your neck at the business end of my axe."
- Abnur Tharn: "My Lord, I wonder if you'd muzzle your half-giant pet? She really is annoying."
- Sai Sahan: "Enough, both of you! We are here to ensure My Lord's rightful claim to the Ruby Throne."
- Varen Aquilarios: "Abnur, begin the ritual. I have a destiny to fulfill." [The Dragonfire lights up]
- Varen Aquilarios: "By the lighting of the Dragonfires, I claim my rightful lineage! By the fires of creation, let me be reborn! By the will of Akatosh, I proclaim myself ... Dragonborn!"
- Mannimarco: "Varen Aquilarios, you are no heir to Alessia! You will pay for your sacrilege! The veil between Tamriel and Oblivion tears and splits asunder!"
- Abnur Tharn: "What's happening? The sky is opening up! This is bad! This is very bad!"
- Varen Aquilarios: "This isn't supposed to happen! What's the meaning of this? Mannimarco, what have you done?"
- Mannimarco: "Gullible fools! The veil between Oblivion and this world has been torn! My master, Molag Bal, is free to claim Tamriel for his own!"
- Varen Aquilarios: "Akatosh! Forgive me! Have mercy on our souls!"
Daughter of Giants
You meet a projection of Abnur Tharn while you escape from Coldharbour with Lyris, he is oddly helpful.
- Lyris Titanborn: "Abnur Tharn, you traitorous bastard! I should have expected to find you here!"
- Abnur Tharn: "Don't be a fool, Titanborn. I'm trying to help you. Your hatred poisons you. Warriors are like steel. When you lose temper, you lose your worth."
- Lyris Titanborn: "Help me? You betrayed us all, then went back to licking Mannimarco's boot before the smoke cleared!"
- Abnur Tharn: "I did what I had to do. And, as a show of my good intention, I have a gift for you. But, be warned. Coldharbour will not give it up, easily."
You will be asked to get in contact with Abnur Tharn surreptitiously, and can do so through the Orb of Discourse:
- Abnur Tharn: "What is the meaning of this interruption? Why have you contacted me?"
Speaking with Tharn:
- "This is Abnur Tharn. The Master and I are very busy. This had better be important. Wait a moment. I don't know your face. Identify yourself, immediately!"
- Who, me?
- "Yes, you report, you insipid twit. What, did you contact me by accident?"
|[Persuade] Forgive me, my Lord, but I heard something that might be of interest to you.||Who are you?|
|"Well, out with it. I don't have all day. Your disguise is terrible, by the way. You look like a character from a bad adventure novel."
Someone has been asking the locals about a Redguard named Sai Sahan.
"Are they? I didn't think that Redguard has-been had a single friend left. Not in this world, at any rate.
Never fear. Sai Sahan is safely locked away. Even if they were to discover his location, attempting a rescue would be suicidal."
Do you know where he is?
"Of course I do. But I'm not in the habit of revealing vital secrets to insipid lackeys.
Now, be gone! And if you contact me again without good reason I shall contact your cell commander and have you properly thrashed for your ineptitude."
Thank you, my Lord.
|"How dare you speak to me in such a … wait, you're not one of ours, are you? Color me intrigued. You speak to Abnur Tharn, overlord of Nibenay and Chancellor of the Elder Council."
The Imperial chancellor? What are you doing here?
"Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't you contact me? Fascinating. Are you merely a blundering local, I wonder, or something more?"
I'm looking for Sai Sahan.
"Are you, indeed? I didn't think that Redguard has-been had a single friend left. Not in this world, at any rate.
Let me give you some free advice. Forget about Sai Sahan. Even if I told you where he was, attempting a rescue would be suicidal."
Then you know where he is?
"Of course I do. But do you really think I'd tell you and risk incurring Mannimarco's wrath? I think not.
Ah, the owner of this place returns, and he doesn't look pleased. Fare well!"
Castle of the Worm
A projection of Tharn will be found in the Harborage. If you try and talk with him before the Prophet, he will say:
- "Have a little chat with your beggar friend, then you and I need to talk."
After the Prophet has filled you in, you can ask Tharn what he wants.
- "We meet again, Vestige. I wish to speak with you on a matter of some urgency."
- What's this about?
- "Mannimarco and his vile master have dark and terrible plans for this world. If you wish to stop them, you need to find the Amulet of Kings.
But to find the amulet, you must first locate Sai Sahan."
- And you know where he is?
- "Of course I do. And I might be willing to share that information … for a price."
- I'm listening.
- "If Mannimarco learns that we've spoken, he'll have me executed. I'm a danger to him. I know too much.
Therefore I, Abnur Tharn, Chancellor of the Elder Council, Overlord of Nibenay, formally request asylum."
- Asylum? Are you joking?
- "Do I look to be in a mirthful mood?
There comes a point when even a patriot's loyalty is stretched too far, when the things he has done—and seen done—become too much to bear."
- Will you come to us?
- "Would that I could. As it happens, I find myself to be somewhat of a prisoner, in dire need of rescue.
My proposal is this: If you retrieve me from Mannimarco's fortress and grant me asylum, I will give you Sai Sahan's location in return."
- How can I be sure this isn't a trick?
- "You can't. And you'd be a fool to trust me completely.
But the facts remain, you need me if you wish to find Sai Sahan, and I must keep my head if I am to ensure the continuance of the Empire. Neither of us has a choice."
- I can see your point.
Upon arrival at the Castle grounds his projection will contact you.
- "You appear to have arrived in the Wretched Squalor, a shanty town of soul shriven outside Mannimarco's castle."
- How do we get inside?
- "As luck would have it, Mannimarco is away on some errand for the Daedric Prince. The castle garrison is not on alert, so you should only encounter a token defense.
The main gate is sealed, but there are undoubtedly other routes one might take."
- Such as?
- "You're the hero, aren't you? Improvise."
- We'll find a way in.
- Abnur Tharn: "You! Hurry up, the Worms are on the move."
Meeting Tharn's projection inside:
- "The door at the top of the tower has sealed with a warded barrier. I've seen the Worms use similar sorceries before. It will sear you to ash if you touch it."
- How do we get through it?
- "Here's a thought. The flesh atronachs that patrol the castle halls are assembled in a laboratory very close to the warded door. If you created your own atronach, it would be bound to obey you. You could force it to smash through the barrier."
- How do you build a flesh atronach?
- "It's a simple process. A child of five could do it. Unfortunately, we don't have a child of five, so I'll be forced to walk you through it.
You'll need some good-sized chunks of flesh. Take them to the laboratory, and I'll contact you there."
- We're on our way.
In the laboratory:
- Abnur Tharn: "Not very big, is it? Oh well. Now, cast the ritual from the book."
After creating your Atronach:
- Abnur Tharn: "Ha! We'll make a necromancer of you yet."
- Abnur Tharn: "You're not far now. Through the door, and to the summit!"
- Abnur Tharn: "Begone, insufferable Worms! I'm working as fast as I can!"
Once you arrive at the summit you can talk to Abnur Tharn in the flesh.
- "So, we meet in person at last. You looked taller in your projection."
- I'm here to get you out, per our arrangement.
- "And not a moment too soon. If I had to inspect one more bloody soul gem, I'd have thrown myself from the tower."
- Why should we trust you, Tharn?
- "A fair question. I know things. Things that can help you. Here's a bit to whet your appetite.
Mannimarco isn't doing any of this to serve Molag Bal. His ultimate plan is to out-scheme the God of Schemes … and to replace him."
- What? How?
- "The Amulet of Kings is the key to everything. Why do you think he kidnapped Sai Sahan? He's torturing him. Trying to get him to reveal the Amulet's hiding place."
- He's trying to find the Amulet of Kings before we do.
- "Precisely. With the Amulet at his command, Mannimarco believes he can trap Molag Bal's essence and absorb his power. He seeks to become a god himself!"
- That sounds bad. What else can you tell me?
- "I'd love to discuss this further, but this is hardly the place. Get me to a safe haven and I will tell you the rest. That was our agreement, was it not? Now, let's—
Wait. Did you feel that?"
- Feel what?
Mannimarco will appear and banish Tharn. Tharn will return, and he and Mannimarco will duel.
- Abnur Tharn: "Mannimarco! You dare attack the chancellor of the Elder Council?"
- Abnur Tharn: "His power wanes, Vestige! Strike him down, while his attentions are on me!"
- Mannimarco: "How dare you betray me, Tharn? Your suffering will be legendary!"
Speak with Tharn after Mannimarco's projection is dispelled:
- "He will not remain discorporated for long. His consciousness will be adrift for a few moments, but that is all."
- Why did you help me?
- "Because Mannimarco has delusions of godhood. He cares nothing for the Empire, he seeks only power.
- I've never done battle with him before. He's far more powerful than I imagined. Ah, well. Too late for regrets. In for a bean, in for a beanstalk."
- What now?
- "First things first. We need to get out of here alive."
- What do you suggest?
- "We certainly can't go back the way you came in. I'd imagine they're swarming the grounds already.
- There's a refuse chute further down the path. It's a bit of a drop, but we'll probably survive."
- Let's go.
- Lyris Titanborn: "You must be the ugliest princess ever rescued from a tower, Tharn."
- Abnur Tharn: "I'm shocked your lack of education and repeated blows to the head haven't dulled your wit, Titanborn."
When you have all escaped to the Harborage, you ask Tharn for the information he promised.
- "My estates, my titles, my own life―it's all forfeit now. All in the name of preserving the Empire. I swear by all the gods, Mannimarco will pay dearly for this."
- Are you all right?
- "Of course. I am Abnur Tharn. It will take more than a few brainless cultists to rattle these old bones. Now then, where were we?"
- You were going to tell us where Sai Sahan is.
- "Ah. Yes. Ahem. Truth be told, I don't know the precise location, but I do know that he is Mannimarco's prisoner, and that the King of Worms is trying to pry the location of the Amulet from him."
- You don't know where he is?
- "Now, now, before you lose your temper, let me clarify. I don't know precisely where he is, but I can find out. I'll just need a little time."
- You tricked us.
Lyris will be understandably annoyed at this revelation.
- Lyris Titanborn: "What? You son of a bitch!"
- <Lyris punches Abnur in the face.>
- Abnur Tharn: "Gah! Are you insane? Get away from me, you brutish she-troll!"
- The Prophet: "Lyris! Stand down!"
- Lyris Titanborn: "He's done nothing but lie to us from the beginning! I don't care what he says, he'll always be Mannimarco's toady!"
- Abnur Tharn: "Please. Mannimarco wants me dead! Did I pretend to capitulate to him? Yes, I did. Do you have any idea how many lives I saved by doing so?"
- Lyris Titanborn: "The only thing you saved was your holdings and your own hide, you pompous ass!"
- The Prophet: "Enough! Abnur had no choice, Lyris. And we are guilty of our own deceit, are we not? The time has come for the Vestige to know the truth!"
- Abnur Tharn: "What's this? The Vestige doesn't know? Oh, this is rich!"
- Lyris Titanborn: "Sire, don't …!"
- The Prophet: "Vestige. Until now, you have only known me as the Prophet. But that is not my true name. I … am Varen Aquilarios!"
- Abnur Tharn: "Our fallen Emperor, in the tattered robes of a Moth Priest, blind as a newborn kitten!"
- Varen Aquilarios: "I am sorry I deceived you, Vestige."
The Tharn Speaks
In the Mages Guild:
- "Ah, excellent, you got my message. Apparently, that little creature isn't completely useless. Banekin can be such children.
I hope you've nothing pressing. We could be here a while."
- Tharn? Why are you dressed like that?
- "I can't be strutting around the city wearing my Imperial regalia, can I?
Your concern about my fashion sense is touching, but irrelevant. I've called you here for a reason. If we are to determine a course of action, we need more information."
- What are you talking about?
- "By now it should be clear your prophet emperor brought these catastrophic events upon us. Everything that transpired is his fault."
- Mannimarco him. It wasn't his fault.
- "Granted, Mannimarco can be very persuasive and charismatic when he wants to be. We all believed him when he said we could change Varen's bloodline with the Amulet of Kings."
- Then why do you blame Varen?
- "You saved Varen's life when you rescued him in Coldharbour. In return, he lied to you about his true identity and his part in causing the Soulburst. He manipulated you from the very start.
Perhaps the better question is, why don't you blame Varen?"
- Just tell me why you called me here.
- "Varen wants to assemble a new group of companions in the vein of the original five. Claims it fulfills a prophecy in those wretched scrolls of his.
Superstitious nonsense, but he is quite correct on one point: we need to find Sai Sahan."
- Why is Sai Sahan so important?
- "In the chaos following the Soulburst, Sahan stole the Amulet of Kings and fled the Imperial City. We're going to need that relic, and he is the only one who knows its current location."
- Where is Sai Sahan, now?
- "He was captured by Mannimarco's agents and taken to an undisclosed location. We need to find out where he's being held."
- What do you need me to do?
His reply will depend on which Alliance you are part of.
- "Mannimarco keeps his most secret documents in a hidden lair of Daedric cultists deep within the Grahtwood, in the ruins of Wormroot Depths. We must travel there and search for clues."
- "Mannimarco keeps his most secret documents at Norvulk, a hidden lair of Daedric cultists in the Stormhaven countryside. We must travel there and search for clues."
- "Mannimarco keeps his most secret documents at Knife Ear Grotto in Deshaan, inside a hidden lair of Daedric cultists. We must travel there and search for clues."
- I'll set out at once and meet you there.
- "Remember: Wormroot Depths, Grahtwood. I'll meet you inside."
- "Travel to Stormhaven's eastern reaches and look for the Norvulk Ruins. I will be waiting for you inside."
- "Head to Knife Ear Grotto, in the eastern mountains of Deshaan. I will meet you inside."
You have the opportunity to ask him some questions before you leave.
- I have some questions.
- "If I can endure Titanborn's inane prattle, I can survive your assuredly erudite elucidations. Proceed."
- Tell me more about yourself.
- "Well, if you must pry. I am Chancellor to the Elder Council and Overlord of Nibenay, but of all my titles, the greatest is my family name: Tharn. We are the greatest of the noble houses, with seats at the Imperial court for countless centuries."
- A family of politicians?
- "Politicians? A grossly inadequate word to describe our duties and our legacy.
The Tharns have a storied history of advising kings and emperors that can be traced back to the First Era. We understand the ebb and flow of power."
- What will happen to you now?
- "Ah, there's the rub. With my … untimely defection? My family will likely be divested of its holdings. The name Tharn is probably being stricken from every document in the Imperial archives, as we speak.
I detest being on the wrong side of history."
- Have you really lost everything?
- "Don't sound so smug about it. This is a setback, nothing more.
By allying with you, I will liberate the Empire from Mannimarco's grip. The Empire is all that matters to me. I will do what I must to ensure its survival."
- Isn't your daughter the Empress Regent? (Appears after asking a question.)
- "Clivia? She is comfortably lodged in Mannimarco's pocket, along with my nephew, Javad. I doubt they've given my disappearance a second though.
Ah, fair Clivia. My charming girl grew to be a ruthlessly ambitious woman. I taught her well."
- "Clivia? She is comfortably lodged in Mannimarco's pocket, along with my nephew, Javad. I doubt they've given my disappearance a second though.
With the relevant Delve: When you arrive:
- Abnur Tharn: "This place smells worse than the Harborage."
His reactions while you find evidence:
- Abnur Tharn: "So, Sai Sahan is alive, and he has not been broken. An important piece of the puzzle, to be sure, but where is he being kept?"
- Abnur Tharn: "He knows of our plan to use the amulet to set things right! We must rescue Sai Sahan before he can be broken."
- Abnur Tharn: "This is the information we've been looking for!"
You can then speak with Tharn
- "At last! Sai Sahan has been taken to the Halls of Torment!"
- The Halls of Torment?
- "Oh yes. It's Coldharbour's most nefarious prison. The Daedra in the Halls of Torment reach deep into the dark places of a prisoner's mind and torture them with apparitions of the things they most dread."
- That sounds a lot like what happened to Lyris.
- "It's an effective tactic. The Daedra mock our emotional attachments and the memories that form our sense of self.
- Daedra have no use for such things. They are immortal. It's impossible to kill Daedra— They simply reform, over time."
- We need to rescue Sai Sahan. Can you get us to the Halls of Torment?
- "Of course I can. I am Abnur Tharn!
- But first, I have a bit more research to do. Go back to the Harborage and tell Varen what we've discovered. I'll meet you there once I've made the necessary preparations."
- Very well.
Halls of Torment
During his argument with Lyris:
- Lyris Titanborn: "Put a cork in it, Tharn! Sai's my friend. Probably the best friend I have. If the Vestige is going, I'm going too!"
- Abnur Tharn: "Yes, I see. And you are the most qualified, why? Is it your superior knowledge of Coldharbour? Your expertise in dealing with Daedric entities? Or is it simply the unrequited puppy love you feel for that shirtless mammoth?"
When spoken to after the argument:
- "I swear, I haven't heard such bickering and whining since the last Tharn family gathering at Mid Year's Feast!"
After speaking with Varen:
- "You look perplexed. What inscrutable riddles is Varen spouting now?"
- He said that only one of you can join me.
- "Did he? What surprisingly good advice. Titanborn and I are more likely to kill each other than we are to help. The choice is yours, but I recommend choosing brains over brawn. I have valuable knowledge of the Daedra. And don't forget, I'm the mage."
- [Choose Abnur] Come with me, Abnur.
- "A very wise decision. One you won't regret, trust me. Shall we go? We've a Redguard swordmaster to rescue."
If chosen to go with you to the Halls, Tharn will have dialogue for if you speak with him unprompted:
- "I heard stories about this foul place during my time in Coldharbour. Chilling. I might have become a permanent resident, were it not for your timely rescue."
After having seen the Tharn Doppelganger for the first time:
- Abnur Tharn: "What's this? It looks like me! What in damnation is going on here?"
Speaking with Tharn after defeating the Doppelganger:
- "Well, that was unnerving. Can't say that I've ever had to kill a version of myself before. But, I must say, even as an evil doppelganger, I'm a very capable opponent!"
- What was all that talk of sword-singers?
- "They were a legendary group of Redguard swordmasters, wiped out in the First Era by the Yokudan Emperor Hira. Sahan spent years trying to resurrect their ancient traditions, but failed utterly. He considered it his greatest failure."
- Why did the doppelganger look like you?
- "The torturers here are using Sahan's memories and darkest fears against him, in an attempt to break his will.
- He and I were never close. In truth, I enjoyed mocking him. I had no idea how deeply it affected him. Interesting."
- You almost sound pleased about that.
- "Oh, please. We're adults, aren't we?
The day I start considering people's feelings before speaking my mind is the day my efficacy as a politician comes to an end. When that day comes, just kill me outright, I beg of you."
After killing Lyris' Doppelganger:
- Abnur Tharn: "Vestige! Hold a moment!"
- "Well, well, well. Wasn't that a charming little scene? I can't wait to mock … to tell Titanborn all about it."
- What do you mean?
- "Are you as blind as your vagabond emperor? The first room was about Sai's failures. This room is obviously an attempt to leverage his subconscious desires. So, our Redguard friend has a secret crush on the half-giant. How revolting."
- Do you think they had a relationship?
- "Please! Titanborn has all the emotional depth of a Frost Atronach.
But, who knew Sahan was that sentimental? Then again, he did resist her charms. Good thing, too. That truly would have been a farewell kiss."
- I think we just met Mannimarco's Duchess of Anguish.
- "I can only assume she's Sahan's personal torturer. I have a sneaking suspicion we'll be meeting her again, very soon.
Come, let's keep moving."
After you find Sai Sahan:
- "Nice of you to check in with me, but I think Sai is more in need of your attentions."
Once the portal is opened:
- "Sahan is injured, but it appears that he can walk on his own. He's stronger than I thought."
When you arrive in the Harborage but before you talk to Varen, Abnur will mention that he has important things to do.
- "Sahan looks relatively healthy, but there's no telling whats sort of toll years of torment will take upon the mind. It will be interesting to see.
I do hope we're done here. I have an assignation with a young lady."
Speaking with Tharn after the quest is completed.
- "Sahan seems relatively unharmed. Can we wrap this up?
I've an appointment with a certain young lady and I need to stop by the moneychangers first. Women of that stripe seldom do anything on credit."
Valley of Blades
When you first arrive in the Harborage to travel to the Valley, Tharn is not looking forward to it.
- "I've never heard of this Valley of the Blades. I do hope they have a tavern. I'm going to need a stiff drink after traveling with this lot."
Speaking to him upon arrival at the Valley:
- "Had I known it was going to be this hot, I would have dressed for it."
If you talk to him at non-important times:
- "Lead on. Let's get the ring and be done with this place."
- Sai Sahan: "It is strange to return to these mountains. Memories of youth flood my mind, each one bringing its own sorrow, or its own smile."
- Abnur Tharn: "Oh, joy. We've been here less than five minutes and Sahan is already getting maudlin and weepy."
- Lyris Titanborn: "Shut up, Tharn! Don't let him get to you, Sai. Let him roll his yes. Maybe he'll find a brain back there."
- Sai Sahan: "Kasura often said that rudeness is a weak man's imitation of strength. She is wise beyond her years. You will like her, Snow Lily."
Trekking further into the valley will reveal that the Abbey is under attack.
- Sai Sahan: "What is this? The abbey burns!"
- Lyris Titanborn: "So much destruction! What could have done this?"
- Abnur Tharn: "I'm afraid I've seen this before. Keep an eye skyward, Titanborn!"
After listening to Kasura, the companions will discuss.
- Lyris Titanborn: "What do you think? Trap?"
- Abnur Tharn: "It's only a trap if you don't know about it. I assume everything is a trap. Therefore, it's a challenge."
After defeating the Daedric Titan and talking with Kasura:
- Kasura: "Follow me. The hidden entrance will not be obvious."
- Lyris Titanborn: "Why would a crypt need a secret entrance?"
- Abnur Tharn: "It's a wonder there's an unplundered crypt in all of Skyrim! You Nords could learn a thing or two from the builders of Hammerfell."
- Sai Sahan: "Perhaps Hammerfell could also teach Nibenay the virtue of good manners."
Once in the crypt, Tharn will warn you.
- "Mannimarco is aware of our presence. We need to find the ring and leave this place."
When you have the ring and talk Kasura, Mannimarco's projection will come to gloat while the dead rise.
- Mannimarco: "I knew you would lead me to the ring, eventually. Give it to me!"
- Sai Sahan: "Your presence defiles this place, Mannimarco!"
- Mannimarco: "Give me the ring and I might spare your pathetic lives!"
- Lyris Titanborn: "We struck down your Titan and we'll strike you down soon enough!"
- Mannimarco: "The Titan was a prelude of what's to come if you continue to defy me!"
- Abnur Tharn: "Defy you? Your delusions of godhood are laughable, you ignominious corpse-herder!"
- Mannimarco: "Very well, then. I'll simply take the ring from your corpses."
- <The dead start to rise.>
- Sai Sahan: "Blasphemy! How dare you raise the honored dead to fight your battle!"
- Kasura: "Sai, look out! He's raising Ra Abah!
If you talk with him during the fight.
- "You should leave for the Harborage immediately! More Worm Cultists are most assuredly on their way here!"
After Ra Abah is defeated, Tharn will raise a good point.
- Abnur Tharn: "The next time you hide something from the most powerful necromancer in all of Tamriel, you might reconsider hiding it in a bloody tomb!"
Once the dead are stopped, Abnur Tharn will be more optimistic.
- "We've done it. We have the ring, and we're one step closer to recovering the Amulet of Kings. We might just pull this off."
While you deliver the ring, the trio will stay behind to help the Abbey.
- Kasara: "The damage is great, but if you had not arrived when you did, there would be nothing left to rebuild. Be safe in the coming days, my friends. I look forward to your return."
- Sai Sahan: "The Abbey of Blades will rise from these ashes. If I survive the dark path we must walk, I will return to help Kasura shape a new generation of blademasters."
- Lyris Titanborn: "A noble goal, Sai. Perhaps I'll join you. For now, we should see to the survivors."
- Abnur Tharn: "You continue to surprise me, Sahan. And just when I thought I had you figured out."
- Sai Sahan: "You can never know me, Tharn. In the Book of Circles, Divad wrote that the greatest warriors suffers his pain in silence, for he knows that an open oven bakes no bread."
- Abnur Tharn: "My great grandfather Knavus Tharn put it another way: better to keep your silence and be thought an imbecile, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"
Shadow of Sancre Tor
Speaking with him before receiving the briefing on Sancre Tor from Varen:
- "I must admit, I'm not comfortable with this little jaunt. Sancre Tor is in the mountains of Colovia, and Colovians are the worst kind of Imperials—backwards mountain men without any sense of decorum. At least Varen will feel right at home."
Afterwards, he will leery of entering the ruins.
- "So, we're to stumble blindly into the catacombs beneath a crumbling ruin abandoned for an age? Lovely. That bearded idiot swordmaster will lead us straight into a trap, no doubt."
When you arrive in Sancre Tor, Abnur will be unimpressed by his first impression of Sancre Tor:
- "This is my first visit to Sancre Tor. I must say, I'm unimpressed. Alessia's holy city has seen better days, to be sure!"
A dubious choice of hiding places:
- Lyris Titanborn: "You could have hidden that amulet anywhere in Tamriel, and this was your first choice?"
- Sai Sahan: "It seemed like a good idea at the time."
- Abnur Tharn: "Brilliant. Why is it that the people with the most ridiculous ideas are always the ones who are most certain of them?"
- Sai Sahan and Lyris Titanborn, simultaneously: "Shut up, Tharn."
After walking through the passageway, you will be greeted by a massive projection of Mannimarco.
- Mannimarco: "What brings you to Sancre Tor, old friends? Looking for an amulet, perhaps?"
- Sai Sahan: "Mannimarco? How did you find this place?"
- Mannimarco: "Do you really think I'd allow you to escape the Halls of Torment if I couldn't track your every movement?"
- <Sai Sahan is lifted into the air by magic.>
- Lyris Titanborn: "Sai, no! Mannimarco, stop! You're killing him!"
- Mannimarco: "Where is the Amulet of Kings? My master, Molag Bal, demands it!"
- Abnur Tharn: "Your master. Please! You would use the amulet to betray Molag Bal!"
- Mannimarco: "Fool! When I ascended, you could have been at my right hand, Tharn. Instead you chose to align yourself with mongrels and imbeciles. Now you'll die with them!"
- Abnur Tharn: "You won't get away with this. Do you really think you can betray a Daedric Prince?"
- Mannimarco: "With the Amulet of Kings, all things are possible! Nations will tremble and bow before me! I will be a god!"
- Sai Sahan: "The Amulet of Kings will never be yours! It is protected by a ward of the Divines!"
- Mannimarco: "You mean your ward of Stendarr, God of Merciful Forbearance, patron of gutless, law-abiding dimwits? It won't even slow me down!"
If you talk to Abnur afterwards, he will note, "It would seem that in his own mind, our friend Sai never really left the Halls of Torment."
Once you have spoken with Sai a brief conversation will happen.
- Lyris Titanborn: "Sai, are you well enough to continue?"
- Sai Sahan: "Have no fear, Snow Lily. I am Redguard. We are like mountain bamboo: far stronger and more flexible than we might appear."
- Abnur Tharn: "I find it hilarious that Mannimarco chose such a massive projected appearance. He's obviously overcompensating for something."
If you try and talk with Abnur again, he will be annoyed, "Are we done here? Honestly, the Inner Courtyard is just beyond the next door!"
Once you have listened to Mannimarco's presentation on how he will become a god.
- "Shall we keep moving, or did you wish to continue prattling on endlessly?"
While Sai Sahan takes a break:
- Sai Sahan: "Please. A moment, my friends. I … I must rest before we continue."
- Lyris Titanborn: "Sai? Are you all right? That bastard really hurt you, didn't he? I swear to the gods I'll take his head off!"
- Sai Sahan: "I'll be fine, Snow Lily. I just need a moment to catch my breath."
- Lyris Titanborn: "Take all the time you need. I'll keep watch. If there's anything I can do, just name it."
- Abnur Tharn: "An enchanting moment. I'll be over here, bringing up my lunch."
However, if you talk with him, Abnur will have a request.
- "Sahan doesn't look well, Vestige. Keep an eye on him."
Once you reach the inner chamber and Mannimarco smugly reveals his surprise.
- "Where is this shrine? Let's find it and be done with this place."
After consecrating the first shrine.
- "One more shrine to consecrate, yes? Can we please get to it?"
As you continue to the Vault Antechamber, you will listen to an enchanting conversation:
- Abnur Tharn: "Dank corridors, crumbling walls, nauseating smells. This place has all the charm of a Riften brothel. It must feel very much like home to you, Titanborn."
- Lyris Titanborn: "You mean a crypt filled with the rotting corpses of inbred kings and failed statesmen. Must be what it's like at a Tharn family reunion."
- Sai Sahan: "It is more pleasant in the summer months."
At this point, Abnur just wants to get the amulet and leave.
- "Are we finally done with that shrine nonsense? Can we please get what we came for and leave this wretched hole in the ground?"
When you have arrived at the Vault of Kings.
- "Nearly there now, I'd imagine."
Mannimarco will be inside the Vault waiting for you, and you and your companions will need to defeat him. While this is happening Abnur will work with one of the portals.
- Abnur Tharn: "Keep Mannimarco occupied! I'll close the portal!"
Once you have defeated Mannimarco, you can take the amulet. Abnur will be surprised that you managed to defeat the King of Worms.
- "I'll admit, Vestige. I never thought you'd be the one to kill the worm.
Take the Amulet of Kings and let's be gone from here."
After you take the Amulet of Kings, the trio will have a conversation.
- Lyris Titanborn: "Everything Mannimarco did was designed to pit us against each other. We can't let that happen. Look what we can accomplish when we work together."
- Abnur Tharn: "How uncharacteristically optimistic of you, Titanborn. I may have that embroidered on a pillow."
- Lyris Titanborn: "The Divines gave you a nose for a reason, Tharn. So you can keep your mouth shut and still keep breathing."
- Abnur Tharn: "Well played, Titanborn. Well played."
- Sai Sahan: "We are finished here. It is time to go home."
Once back at the Harborage.
- "The Amulet of Kings is ours. The companions are victorious, again.
I'm sure Varen will be eager to hear all about our fantastic and amazing victory."
After you have spoken with Varen, Abnur will be humble when receiving potential praise.
- "I know what you're thinking, Vestige. You want to thank me for my noble and heroic effort in helping you defeat that treacherous worm, Mannimarco. No need to laud me, though. The world already knows of my brilliance. But you're welcome nonetheless."
Council of the Five Companions
After speaking with Sai Sahan:
- Sai Sahan: "I, Sai Sahan, steward of the Abbey of Blades, call for the Five Companions to be reforged this day."
- Sai Sahan: "By the light of Stendarr, and the heart of Lorkhan, may our blade of fellowship be forged anew. And may the Vestige, our mutual friend and ally, become its tip, that we may thrust it straight into the heart of a Daedric Prince."
- Lyris Titanborn: "Sai Sahan is right. You are the member that we should have had all those years ago."
- Varen Aquilarios: "It is as the Scrolls foretold. The soulless one will become the brightest of five stars, and they shall guide us to the coming dawn."
- Abnur Tharn: "Oh, please. You melodramatic sots! Fine, fine. If seeing one of your foolish prophecies com true will help to ensure the safety of the Empire, I'll play along."
- Sai Sahan: "We stand united once more- the Five Companions are reforged, and together we will strike down the God of Schemes!"
After speaking with Lyris:
- Lyris Titanborn: "Let's not forget the struggles that got us to this point. We're almost home. We just have a bit further to fight."
- Abnur Tharn: "Are you all insane? You do realize what we need to do, right? We have to fight a Daedric Prince. Amulet or no, this is going to mean more death. Vestige! Come here. I'll tell you what they're afraid to mention."
Speaking with Tharn:
- "Getting all chummy with Titanborn? I enjoy the company of clever, well informed people, You really should try it some time.
- So, you felled the great Mannimarco. Well played. You've done the Empire a great service."
- That's not why I did it.
- "The farmer doesn't thank the cow when it voids itself on the field, but it still makes the crops grow taller."
- Is that your way of thanking me?
- "I suppose it is. But that wasn't the reason for this heartwarming reunion. Varen and I have spoken at length since you recovered the Amulet and determined our final course of action.
- Molag Bal remains a threat and Tamriel is still in grave danger."
- What did you have in mind?
- "First, the Planemeld must be stopped. Even now, forces gather and plan an assault on Oblivion itself. You must join them."
- What then?
(If you haven't completed the Final Assault)
- "Then, and only then, can you take the fight to Molag Bal himself- to restore protection to Nirn and reclaim your soul."
- Is it even possible to defeat Molag Bal?
(If you have completed the Final Assault)
- "The Planemeld has been stopped, but Molag Bal's power over Nirn is still prodigious.
- To restore protection to Nirn and reclaim your soul, you must face the God of Schemes himself."
- Is it even possible to defeat Molag Bal?
- "I know more about the Daedra than any man or mer alive. for good or ill, my family has always kept ties with the forces of Oblivion, and this much I know- one cannot kill a Daedric Prince.
- But we have the Amulet of Kings..."
- Go on.
- "With the Amulet in our possession, we may be able to wound him. Severely. And in the process, force him to relinquish every last soul he has stolen- including your own.
- This is where your... condition works to your benefit."
- "The ritual we performed with the Amulet of Kings caused the Soulburst and damaged the veil between worlds. If the damage is to be repaired, I must attempt the ritual again, this time with you."
- Won't that just cause another Soulburst?
- "Only if we use it here on Nirn. But if we were to travel to Coldharbour, we might be able to harness its power. Imbue you with divine agency enough to challenge the Daedric Prince.
- But there is a price...."
- There always is.
- "Calling upon the power of the Amulet in this manner will consume someone's soul. Utterly. One cannot channel the power of the gods without paying such a price.
- Unfortunately, you don't have a soul to consume and I am needed to perform the ritual."
- Someone has to die?
- "More specifically, one of our three companions. I suspect that's why they're so nauseatingly over-appreciative and fawning."
- No. The price is too high.
- Abnur Tharn: "Of course it is. The fact of the matter stands, however. One of the Five will need to give their life to fuel this attack, when the time comes."
- Lyris Titanborn: "So you said before the Vestige arrived. And I've already thought it over. I'll do it."
- Sai Sahan: "Snow Lily, no! You should not need to give your life this way. This is my duty- penance for my numerous failures. This is my chance to make things right."
- Varen Aquilarios: "The Scrolls said nothing of this moment, and so I am not bound to their dictates. Vestige, I ask that you let me do this one thing. All that has happened was because of my hubris. I shall be the one."
- Lyris Titanborn: "Sire, you've done enough. This was Mannimarco's doing, not yours."
- Lyris Titanborn: "I don't see you leaping to volunteer, Tharn. Saving your own backside again?"
- Abnur Tharn: "Had as it may be, Lyris, don't be an idiot. I am the only one who knows the ritual and we don't have time to teach anyone else."
- Varen Aquilarios: "That's enough. It won't be decided here and now. Vestige, come here. I have some final words for you."
Speaking after the quest:
- "I'm not going to tell you to put it out of mind. One of these people is going to have to die for you. Can you make that choice, when the time comes?
Or will you fail, to the doom of us all?"
God of Schemes
When you speak to him inside the Harborage:
- "We'll never be ready, so I suppose that means we're as ready as we'll ever be."
Upon your arrival at Heart's Grief, Abnur Tharn will ask to speak with you.
- Abnur Tharn: "I'll never get used to this place. Come here, Vestige. I'd like a word before we skip off merrily to our doom."
- "The time is at hand. Stop second-guessing yourself, stop questioning your resolve, just stand up and do it. You're ready."
- What do you mean?
- "This is it. The beginning of the blasted end. There's no point in pretending this isn't happening, or saying we're not ready. This challenge will not wait.
Can you do what is necessary, no matter the cost? No matter how much it grieves you?"
- Molag Bal has my soul. Is there a choice?
- "There is always a choice. But you don't get to choose what is true, you only get to choose what you will do about it.
Do you need a reminder about what lies ahead?"
- I know what we need to do. Let's get it done.
- Tell me again.
- "We are approaching the fortress of Molag Bal, perhaps the most dangerous place in all of Oblivion. Together, we five are mighty—”even I will admit that—but I cannot invoke the ritual until we are in the presence of the dark prince, himself."
- Go on.
- "In exchange for this investiture of power, one of your companions will need to be sacrificed. It will be for you to decide which, when the time comes.
The infusion of power will not last for long. That's why we need to get close."
- And then?
- "And then, what? I've no idea what will happen to you. Apotheosis? Disintegration? Too many unknowns and not enough information.
But if you defeat Molag Bal and survive, your soul and the soul of every other surviving vestige, should be restored."
- Let's do this.
- I know what we need to do. Let's get it done.
When spoken to without need at Heart's Grief:
- "I highly doubt that the God of Schemes is engaged in banal conversation right now. Perhaps we should follow his example?"
Upon entering the Heart's Grief Vestibule: Molag Bal will undoubtedly set his most powerful servants in our path. Prepare for the worst.
- The Prophet: "This place is alive with pain and suffering. This must be where Molag Bal torments those who displease him."
- Lyris Titanborn: "Look there! Is that Mannimarco?"
- Abnur Tharn: "Mannimarco! He was a back-stabbing hypocrite with delusions of godhood. The fool got precisely what he deserved!"
If you choose to release Mannimarco, he will say the following:
- Mannimarco: "You actually released me? Naive fool! Future generations will pay for your weakness!"
- Abnur Tharn: "Are you insane? That worm didn't deserve your mercy!"
- Lyris Titanborn: "Why do I get the feeling we're going to regret this?"
If you speak to other prisoners, Abnur Tharn can comment on them. After speaking to Javad Tharn, he will say:
- Abnur Tharn: "It's my small-minded nephew, Javad. The lad was petty and cruel for the enjoyment of it. I always suspected he'd meet an untimely end. Leave him to his fate. It's kinder than he deserves."
After speaking to Septima Tharn, he will say:
- Abnur Tharn: "Septima Tharn. A grand niece on my mother's side. Or was it a third cousin? No matter. From what I've heard of her predilections, she belongs in this gallery of horrors."
Arriving at the Seat of Tyranny:
- The Prophet: "Molag Bal is here. I can feel his presence. Sense his foul breath upon the wind."
- The Prophet: "There. That place should serve us well. Let us assemble and prepare the ritual."
- Lyris Titanborn: "What do you suppose this place was?"
- Sai Sahan: "A temple of some kind. The Dark Anchors may have pulled it into Coldharbour. Or, perhaps it was created by the Daedra to mock the Divines."
- Abnur Tharn: "What does it matter? We can't wait any longer. We must perform the ritual. Vestige, it is time for you to make your decision."
Speaking with Tharn about the ritual:
- "Yes, this will be close enough, I think. Are you prepared?"
- Varen, Sai and Lyris are all willing to give up their lives.
- "No one is more surprised than I. They are willing to sacrifice themselves to save the world, yet they will never hear a single word of thanks.
A funny thing for a selfish man to say, isn't it? I'd better be careful not to learn anything from this."
- How can I choose?
- "I've no idea. Speak to them. Let their words convince you.
But once the choice is made, there is no turning back. The harvest of a fresh soul will no doubt bring Molag Bal's attention upon us. You must take that opportunity to strike him down."
- Is there no other way?
- "We've already been over this. You need an infusion of divine power to even consider challenging a Daedric Prince.
The Amulet of Kings can give you that power, but at the cost of a life."
- What sort of power should I expect to receive?
- "The Amulet of Kings is a relic of Akatosh, the Dragon God of Time. His powers embody the qualities of perseverance and invincibility, while promoting the virtues of duty, service, and obedience. Make of that what you will."
- I'll hear what each of them has to say.
- "Don't dawdle. The Daedra could be on us at any moment."
Once you have made your decision on how to sacrifice, Abnur Tharn will bring out the Amulet of Kings and say:
- Abnur Tharn: "Position yourself over there, Vestige. And brace yourself."
If you have chosen to sacrifice Lyris Titanborn:
- Sai Sahan: "Snow Lily, no... don't do this. Please."
- Lyris Titanborn: "Death is simply life's next great adventure, and I am prepared to make the journey. I hope to see you all again one day, in Sovngarde. Until then, it has been my greatest honor."
If you have chosen to sacrifice Sai Sahan:
- Lyris Titanborn: "Sai, I... I'll never forget you. And we'll finish this, I swear it."
- Sai Sahan: "I am honored to make this sacrifice. When you think of me, I hope you remember me fondly, and sing songs of this day while you toast to my memory."
If you have chosen to sacrifice Varen Aquilarios:
- Lyris Titanborn: "We'll never forget you Sire, or your sacrifice."
- Varen Aquilarios: "Great Akatosh, Dragon God of Time, forgive me for my hubris. Grant your divine power to the Vestige and restore your protection to Tamriel, that my sacrifice might not be in vain."
Regardless of who was picked, the rest of the ritual will continue on as follows:
- Abnur Tharn: "History may not remember your sacrifice, but those present here will never forget it."
- Abnur Tharn: "Divines of Tamriel! With this vessel of your power, the Amulet of Kings, I call upon your strength!"
- Abnur Tharn: "Let this noble sacrifice be a testament to our desire to set things right and restore balance to the Mundus!"
- Abnur Tharn: "Your champion stands ready! Accept this offering and imbue this vestige with your glory! Let the will of Molag Bal be denied!"
The chosen companion will be sacrificed, and you are imbued with divine strength:
- Abnur Tharn: "Vestige! Now is the time! You must ascend the path and face the Daedric Prince!"
- Abnur Tharn: "You must face the God of Schemes alone. I will get the others to safety. Go!"
If you decide to speak with him after the ritual, he will scold you for wasting time.
- "Are you insane? Don't stop to chat with me, get up there!"
The Demon Weapon
- "Dagaril-dro often wanders the Auridon coast. We need to bring him a gift, however, and I know he's fond of dusk mushrooms.
Gather the mushrooms from the ruins of Bewan, then meet me at the loremaster's camp. I'll mark the location on your map."
- "Dagaril-dro often wanders the Glenumbra coast. We need to bring him a gift, however, and I know he is fond of dusk mushrooms.
Gather the mushrooms from the ruins of Enduum, then meet me at the loremaster's camp. I'll mark the location on your map."
- "Dagaril-dro often relaxes in Stonefalls. We need to bring him a gift, however, and I happen to know he is fond of dusk mushrooms.
Gather the mushrooms in Hightide Hollow, then meet me at the loremaster's camp. I'll mark the location on your map."
- You seem to know a lot about the Khajiiti legends already.
The Halls of Colossus
Upon entering the Halls of Colossus, Captain Calsivius will ambush your group:
- Captain Calsivius: "Abnur Tharn and the Wrathstone, just as Queen Euraxia predicted."
- Abnur Tharn: "Queen? I see my demented half-sister is still full of herself."
- Captain Calsivius: "My queen sends her love. And this poison gas."
- Abnur Tharn: "To me, before the gas takes you!"
- Captain Calsivius: "Necromancer, deal with these scum."
- Khamira: "Undead! Keep them away from Tharn!"
- Captain Calsivius: "Euraxia tricked you, old wizard. You brought the Wrathstone here. Its magic will unlock the vault!"
- Khamira: "I see a panel. Hold them off."
- Captain Calsivius: "We have an endless supply of undead, you fools!"
- Khamira: "That takes care of the poison."
- Captain Calsivius: "Relish your victory while you can. We'll reach the weapon before you."
After Captain Calsivius' death, the ground rumbles and shakes:
- Abnur Tharn: "Stand back. I'll use the Wrathstone to restore the seal."
- Abnur Tharn:
- Khamira: "Hurry, wizard! You must hurry!"
- Abnur Tharn: "Seal, damn you! Seal!"
- Abnur Tharn: "I think... I think that did it." [The door bursts open]
- Abnur Tharn: "Ok, now what?" [Kaalgrontiid grabs hold of the door and looks around]
- Kaalgrontiid: "Brothers, we are free!" [He and the other dragons fly off]
- Khamira: "Dark moons! Get down!"
- Khamira: "The Dragons! You released them into Elsweyr!"
- Abnur Tharn: "I was trying to stop that from happening. The blame falls squarely on Captain Calsivius, I'm quite certain."
- Khamira: "He was working for your sister!"
- Abnur Tharn: "Half-sister! But let's finish this back at my camp."
- Abnur Tharn is voiced by Alfred Molina.
- In the original drafts for the main quest Abnur was the main antagonist, where he planned to harness the energy of the Zero Stone of the Adamantine Tower. He turned Lyris into an undead servant before being killed in the climax. In the final main quest, he serves as more of an anti-hero, with the antagonist position being filled by Mannimarco.
- Septima Tharn, commander of the Seventh Legion, is his grand niece on his mother's side. Javad Tharn is also his nephew.
- He is mentioned as having tortured Queen Ayrenn in the past.
- His armor is of a unique style. The helmet is not worn by him (but it is seen in concept art), and the daggers are not used by him, but instead by Lord Dregas Volar.