Oblivion talk:Confront the King/Archive 1
|This is an archive of past Oblivion talk:Confront the King discussions. Do not edit the contents of this page, except for maintenance such as updating links.|
- 1 Tips
- 2 Reproducible Ingredients
- 3 Workaround for Unhittable Mannimarco Bug
- 4 Bug?
- 5 Easy way to kill him
- 6 Nightstand
- 7 Is He Altmer?
- 8 Silence Mannimarco
- 9 Apprentice Posse
- 10 Attempted suicide
- 11 The Colossal Gem
- 12 Should this be Added?
- 13 50G Question
- 14 I gyped myself . . . . (360, Shivering Isles and KotN patches installed)
- 15 Not much of a confrontation...
- 16 Escaping the Finger Bone Cage, Pushing into the Water
- 17 Out of Water
- 18 The Arch-Mage's Quarters
- 19 Lost item to respawning chest
- 20 Stuck outside bone fence
I removed a few 'tips' from the Special Notes Section. While they may be helpful gameplay hints, they don't anything to do with this quest. Ratwar 18:27, 21 April 2006 (EDT)
Added a complete list of ingredients which can't be reproduced by the enchanted chest. Seen a lot of posts lately of people confused about what can and can't be reproduced. (On the Nirnroot page, for example.) Thought I'd put the information down definitively so that there's a reference to check against. Was considering making a seperate page for the Enchanted Chest and just linking to it here. What do people think would be better? -- TheRealLurlock 23:31, 9 June 2006 (EDT)
- I think a separate Archmage Benefits page would be good, instead of it being spread across this quest page and the Mages Guild page, with bits on Ingredients, etc. --Actreal 02:43, 10 June 2006 (EDT)
Workaround for Unhittable Mannimarco Bug
I've added a new workaround for the "unhittable Mannimarco" bug, and moved that and the others into a "Glitches" section, since it's the largest part of the page.
Also, while I was fighting Mannimarco, Audens Avidius (the corrupt Imperial City Watch Captain from the Imperial Corruption quest) turned up screaming about revenge and attacking Mannimarco. I assume that was just a timing coincidence, though, and that he just attacked Mannimarco after catching a stray spell; I still had to kill him after Mannimarco was dead.--Tarquin 08:46, 6 August 2006 (EDT)
This comment was added to the bug section of this quest page.
- Another bug is that after Travern has explained the quest to you and you have accepted Travern will not sacrifice himself, it is unknown how this bug is achieved but fixing it is simple. Make a save before atempting this then you can reload and try again, pickpocket travern either while he sleeps or when your undetected, the collasal black soul gem is now the Filled colosal black soul gem. He may detect you doing this and you will be susbended from the guild so reload and try again. After you have the Filled colosal black soul gem continue with the quest as normal, when you return to the Guild Travern will be gone and you will be arch-mage as expected.
I reworded it on the quest page, but I was wondering if it was an actual reproducable bug. Has anyone else had this problem? --GuildKnight 13:52, 27 February 2007 (EST)
- This just happened to me. I talked to him while he was casting the spell on himself and actually got some new dialog about what the gem was meant for. He then just stood around. I ended up killing him rather than picking his pocket (he's a horribly tough fight and summons atronachs). I got kicked out of the mages guild, but if all works out I'll be able to complete the quest. — Unsigned comment by 220.127.116.11 (talk) on 26 March 2007
- I reproduced this twice in a row by opening the dialogue with Traven while he was casting the spell on himself. While this is a little piece of wierdness in the script I'm not really sure it's a bug since it doesn't break or effect the quest line in any way. You don't need the soul gem to complete the quest. If Traven doesn't die just leave him alone and go to Echo Cave. You can still kill Mannimarco and when you return Traven will be gone and you will be Arch-Mage. I've ran the quest line from Silorn to the end four times now with the same result. No problems or glitches. --Phaede 21:07, 20 December 2007 (MST)
Easy way to kill him
Once I went over the bridge, Mannimarco walked over to me and gave me his villian speech. When he was through, he started to cast a spell, I backed up, and accidentally fell off the bridge into the water. I cast water breathing on myself and started looking for the way out. Manni followed me into the water and started attacking me with his dagger. I swam away and kept looking for the exit. Then I got the dialog that said I had killed the King of Worms! Apparently, the AI isn't quite so intelligent as to cast water breathing on NPCs when they're in the water. Yes, he drown!!! Classic. Went over and looted his body, by now floating up on the ceiling. Too funny. Anyway, thought you may want to mention that particular "technique" for dispatching him in the article. — Unsigned comment by 18.104.22.168 (talk) on 1 May 2007
- By far the quickest way to deal with him is to use the Skull Of Corruption as he approaches you for his monologue, then go hide behind one of those stone pillars and summon a huge creature like a Daedroth or Storm Atronach to use as a shield. More times than not the fight ends within 30 seconds(one corrupted clone is enough to kill him). --Sundaroct131088 06:16, 16 August 2007 (EDT)
- I don't think he even HAS a water breathing spell...Legend Bird 22:35, 26 December 2007 (EST)
- Correct, the nightstand is the one container in the Arch-Mage's Quarters that does not automatically reset. It is used in the Thieves Guild quest Misdirection, during which a note will be added to the nightstand by a script. But even then I can't see any indication that the contents are deleted during the quest, so I think it is always a safe chest (although it would be good to have confirmation from someone who has put items in there then played through the quest). --NepheleTalk 14:17, 23 May 2007 (EDT)
Is He Altmer?
When I was fighting against Mannimarco is seemed that he was more resilient to magic then most other Altmer are. Is it possible that Mannimarco is more resilient to magic because he is a different race, or is he just that much more powerful then his other Altmer counterparts? It usually only takes me 1-2 casts of my Immolating Touch (the one from Spell Tomes) in order to kill other Altmer, but it took probably around 15 to kill Mannimarco. I'm mostly just asking this because it could be an important Note to include in this quest that he doesn't have the same magic weakness as traditional Altmer. -Arador 16:59, 31 May 2007 (EDT)
- He is Altmer and I can't see anything that would cancel his weakness to fire. However, he is seven levels higher than your character (see Mannimarco), and also has a special "Mannimarco Ability" (kind of like a birthsign) that gives him a permanent +100 Fortify Health. So especially at low levels he would have several times the health of a typical Altmer. --NepheleTalk 01:08, 1 June 2007 (EDT)
- OK Thanks for clearing that up. I guess I should have looked a little closer at the Mannimarco page (I quickly glanced at it to see if there was a resistance to magic and didn't think to look for health boosts). Makes since that he should be so powerful too because he is the final boss of the Mages Guild. -Arador 04:04, 1 June 2007 (EDT)
- I haven't tried this but it may be possible to silence him if you have a good illusion skill and make a custom spell that silences for a long time since Mannimarco is several level above you. It will also need to have a decent radius to make sure you hit him and preferably target instead of touch. If your playing on the hardest difficulty oblivion(HDO), then this can be a life saver allowing you to silence him, summon a powerful conjured creature and go invisible. Depending on how much magicka you have, you could do this in one custom spell or in a chain as follows
- Silence(longest time possible using target)+ Fortify Magicka 100 points(10 seconds would be best need a lot of restoration skill maybe use a potion to get the magicka you need to summon)
- Summon the strongest creature you can for a decent amount of time, preferably as long as the silence lasts
- (optional) if you have the skull of corruption or a staff that will summon use it now so it's two against one
- Invisibility(if you can)
the first two are much more important. make sure you silence him so he can't summon anything( on HDO) since you don't want to have to deal with a gloom wraith or lich.
- NOTE: if you plan it out, it is possible to have enough magicka for this trick
ex: high elf (100 points magicka) + apprentice (100 points magicka) + 100 intelligence( 200 points magicka)+ 100 Willpower(to regenerate quick) + fortify magicka 100 points(100 points additional for a limited time)+ x amount from potions
I was wondering whether or not the apprentices you can get to follow you respawn at the Arcane University if they die? That would seem to make sense, but I thought I'd check. Similarly, if they die in Oblivion or in the Shivering Isles (if they even travel there), do they also respawn back at the Uni? Finally, do the respawned ones look the same as the dead ones, or does the game vary them? Thanks. — Unsigned comment by 22.214.171.124 (talk) on 1 September 2007
- There are 5 available mage apprentices and they will all respawn in the Arcane University after 3 days. --Saruuk 20:15, 1 September 2007 (EDT)
Is it possible to create and cast a 100% fire or magic resistance spell on Traven, just before you talk to him, so that he does not actually kill himself? --Merco 13:28, 9 October 2007 (EDT)
- See the end of the bugs section. Yes, it is possible in various ways to prevent Traven from killing himself, but it then glitches the quest because you can't easily get the soul gem. (The silence spell mentioned in the bugs section shouldn't actually have any effect because the "Immolation" spell he casts on himself is immune to silence. But 100% fire or magic resistance would probably do the trick). Even then he will automatically be disabled after you kill Mannimarco, so it doesn't really change the final outcome. --NepheleTalk 02:49, 16 October 2007 (EDT)
The Colossal Gem
"It has been reported that you can just leave the Gem on Traven's corpse, so it doesn't get stuck in your inventory"
Can somebody confirm or deny this statement? It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if it is true - the game probably doesn't check for it, and just pretends that Mannimarco tries to enthrall you. --Gaebrial 06:12, 20 December 2007 (EST)
- This is true. I ran it twice to make sure. You do not have to have the soul gem in your possession to kill Mannimarco. --Phaede 08:57, 20 December 2007 (MST)
Should this be Added?
When I first did this mission, and was heading for Echo Cave, there were creatures chasing me and they actually scared Bolor Savel and he ran away. I never got the key, nor could I even find him, leaving this quest un-completed. — Unsigned comment by 126.96.36.199 (talk) on 20 December 2007
Does the quote "For 360 Users, don't be alarmed if you don't immediately get your 50G for finishing, about 15 seconds after you finish talking to Raminus and start walking around you'll get it!" mean there is a 50,000 gold reward for completion?
- No, it's talking about the points the Achievement will add to your Gamerscore. IWon'tFightUndead 08:12, 2 March 2008 (EST)
I gyped myself . . . . (360, Shivering Isles and KotN patches installed)
So there I am, A high elf Atronoch, running through the caverns, kickin butt and taking names, when suddenly the text pop up that normally says 'Necromancer' says 'Manimarco' instead. I squeak and dive to the side and some (at the time) unknown illusion spell flashes past where I just was. He pulls a dagger and tosses a fire destruction spell, I hit him with 100% weakness to magic, and two 'Wizard's Fury' spells, and he goes down. I didn't get to hear his villainous speech! I feel bad, I'm sure he spent all day rehearsing it. I didn't even know there was one until I looked him up just for giggles. Anyway, the point is that he can be killed without the banter, which may mean that he can be killed via a sneak attack. If not, a good rogue can likely get close enough to trigger the attack at least, then go Chameleon or Invisible and retreat. I'll play around with it later. — Unsigned comment by Teikalen (talk • contribs) on 5 April 2008
Not much of a confrontation...
- Its a bit of a disappointment to play a stealth character and be able to kill this boss and most creatures for that matter in 2-4 hits. I managed to enchant a dagger with stacked "weakness to" spells and it just obliterates everything. After his speech i retreat into the shadows till he loses sight of me, then i wait for him to pass by, paralyze him, and 5 seconds later he's dead. Not exactly an epic battle. If only these evil characters liked sunlight, I'd be screwed... (I'm not a fan of chameleon or invisibility) Im playing at 75% difficulty btw, I just think it was an oversight by the game designers when they allowed weapon enchantments to multiply weaknesses on fast weapons.
188.8.131.52 11:06, 12 May 2008 (EDT)ShadowStep11
Escaping the Finger Bone Cage, Pushing into the Water
Slipping behind the left hand tapestry to escape the cage did not work for me, nor could I push Mannimarco through the cage into the water. I otherwise completed the encounter successfully in an out-n-out brawl. I play on 360. 184.108.40.206 07:51, 25 July 2008 (EDT) Lady Grey
Out of Water
- Xbox or pc? if xbox, keep jumping and eventually u will get up there. If pc, use tcl(toggle collision mode) Oblivion Lover 02:04, 13 December 2008 (EST)
- There is a tunnel underwater that will lead back up to land. Just swim around the outer edge of the water to find it. Cixwow 07:46, 8 March 2009 (EDT)
The Arch-Mage's Quarters
Is the quarters you obtain from this quest just like a regular home? I can replace any of the items found on the shelves without them disappearing, correct? Just so long as I do not mess with the aforementioned nightstand and drawers. 220.127.116.11 19:53, 3 January 2009 (EST)
Lost item to respawning chest
- (moved from Help talk:Contents#Lost item to respawning chest)
I placed my staff of worms in the chest at the foot of the arch mages bed (the one with hrormirs ice staff on it) and it dissapeard, is there any way at all for me to retrieve it? I have a ps3 btw — Unsigned comment by 18.104.22.168 (talk) on 10 August 2009
- No, it's gone forever. This is why the site recommends you don't use that chest for storage. –rpeh•T•C•E• 04:43, 11 August 2009 (UTC)
Stuck outside bone fence
I managed to jump just as the bone fence appeared and was pushed out and into the water. Is there no way to get back inside the fence without reloading an earlier save?— Unsigned comment by 22.214.171.124 (talk) at 04:40 on 12 September 2009 (UTC)
- If you are on PC, you can always use the
toccommand to get there I suppose. But I don't believe there are any other logical ways besides loading a previous save. Good luck! –Elliot talk 04:40, 12 September 2009 (UTC)
|Prev: None||Up: Oblivion talk:Confront the King||Next: None|