The ingredient Glow Dust is primarily collected from dead Will-o-the-Wisps.
Without the Shivering Isles expansion pack, Glow Dust is one of only two ingredients which can be used to create a Reflect Spell potion: at expert level it can be combined with Cinnabar Polypore Yellow Cap. There are no negative side effects. Shivering Isles adds three more ingredients with Reflect Spell (also expert-level only): Blind Watcher's Eye, Watcher's Eye, and Withering Moon.
One sample of Glow Dust is required to start Azura's Daedric quest.
1 guaranteed sample can be found in the following location (magenta cross on map):
- 1 sample is in the Bruma Mages Guild Living Quarters
- This sample can no longer be obtained after the start of the A Plot Revealed quest.
- Ogier Georick at The Main Ingredient
- Calindil at Mystic Emporium (he will not sell you the Glow Dust, however, unless your Mercantile skill is 50 or higher)
- Claudette Perrick at The Gilded Carafe
It can also be found randomly in the inventories of alchemy vendors (starting at level 12) and in some Monster loot chests (starting at level 9).
Glow Dust can be collected from all varieties of Will-o-the-Wisp. Most Will-o-the-Wisps are found in Monster Dungeons (circles on map), where they are randomly generated by standard Monster leveled lists at levels 11 and higher; on boss-level lists they are encountered at level 9 only. They can also be found outdoors (squares on map) in swampy regions at levels 11 and higher (except along roads where they are found at levels 9 and higher).
Below level 9, the only way to obtain glow dust (other than the one sample in the Bruma Mages Guild Living Quarters and the three vendor samples) is from one of six quest-specific and non-respawning Will-o-the-Wisps(magenta squares). These six can be encountered at any level, but only once the related quest has started:
- 3 Will-o-the-Wisps are found north and west of Azura's Shrine, but only after the quest Blood of the Daedra in the main questline has begun.
- 3 Will-o-the-Wisps are found outside Swampy Cave, but only after the Fighters Guild quest Mystery at Harlun's Watch has begun.
At higher levels the following caves (purple circles) are the best places to look for Will-o-the-Wisps:
- Crayfish Cave: 3 guaranteed at level 9; at levels 11 and higher, 5 likely (based on probabilities for each creature to appear and be a Will-o-the-Wisp).
- Breakneck Cave: 1 guaranteed at level 9; at levels 11 and higher, 5 likely.
- Wind Cave: 1 guaranteed at level 9; at levels 11 and higher, 6 likely.
- Bramblepoint Cave: 1 guaranteed at level 9; at levels 11 and higher, 4 likely.
- Arrowshaft Cavern: 1 guaranteed at level 9; at levels 11 and higher, 3 likely.