- Targets that fail to resist are immobilized in hardened ash for 30 seconds.
Ash Shell is an adept level Alteration spell that causes a target to be encased in hardened ash for 30 seconds. They will be unable to attack or be attacked in any way until the spell wears off.
- This spell functions much like a cheaper Paralyze spell, except that unlike with regular paralysis, you cannot damage enemies while they're down. It's most useful for reducing the number of enemies you have to fight at once.
- Some enemies are immune to this spell, notably all dragons, Ash Spawn, and anything else that is immune to regular paralysis.
- If a damaging rune (Fire Frost or Lighting) is cast under the downed target and it kills them when the shell wears off, they might encounter a glitch where they will appear to be floating slightly in the air and sprinting while they are in fact dead and still lootable.
- Due to the spell preventing all sources of incoming damage during its duration, it may also be used to prevent followers from dying.